Yeti GOBOX Collection

First Archery Elk hunt

KingOfTagSoup

Hello all, this September I will be embarking on my first archery elk hunt, having only rifle hunted them before. Anyone have any arrow setup suggestions? (Weight, broad head, etc)

+ one on the fixed blades. I use Slick Trick Magnums. They fly just like a field point out of a tuned bow. I'm not a believer in heavy arrows. My arrows weigh just 370 gr and fly right through elk up to 50 yards that I know of for sure, and probably farther. The last elk I arrowed, it went through a rib on the onside and buried into the shoulder on the offside. The arrows leave my bow at 275 fps, so not the speediest out there either.

+ one on the fixed blades. I use Slick Trick Magnums. They fly just like a field point out of a tuned bow. I'm not a believer in heavy arrows. My arrows weigh just 370 gr and fly right through elk up to 50 yards that I know of for sure, and probably farther. The last elk I arrowed, it went through a rib on the onside and buried into the shoulder on the offside. The arrows leave my bow at 275 fps, so not the speediest out there either.
Thanks for the tip, I've never used those broadheads but I've heard of them, I'll check em out.

Hey @KingOfTagSoup , I'm in a pretty similar position for this coming fall.
I've asked many people similar questions to what you asked here. There will be some opinions that are outliers, but for the most part the feedback I have gotten is to shoot somewhere between 450-525 grain total arrow weight and fixed blade broadheads. I personally will be running Easton axis arrows and Iron Will fixed blade broadheads (either the V or Wide series).
Also I've been watching some content recently from Joel Turner who talks about some things to help your shot progression for archery hunts and not trigger punching when a bull is getting close. Thought it was good information. Feel free to PM if you'd like to talk more specifics.
Best of luck in the fall!

Hello all, this September I will be embarking on my first archery elk hunt, having only rifle hunted them before. Anyone have any arrow setup suggestions? (Weight, broad head, etc)
450gr. is a good target number but it really depends on your archery set up. You'll want to aim for a minimum of 7 grains per pound of your bow's draw weight for a finished arrow. So, for a 60 pound bow you should shoot for 420 grains. There are quite a few arrow construction calculators on the interwebs that can help you run the numbers.

If you are just getting into archery hunting, I'd stick with a low maintenance fixed blade. I like the Slick Trick standards and the GrizTricks are very interesting. These give you the ability to replace blades as they dull rather than dealing with resharpening. I had pretty good luck with the Montec CSs but they require periodic resharpening. Last year, I moved to the Cutthroat fixed blades. They are trickier to sharpen but seem promising.

SHARP fixed blade broadheads. And whatever edge they have out of the box ain't sharp enough 99 times out of 100.
Learn to sharpen and then to strop a broadheads.
PITA for the first 10 mins of learning then it's easy peasy. I find it relaxing like cleaning a favored firearm after a range session. Also it's a life skill that works for everyone from kitchen and fillet knives to ax heads to razors. Worthwhile to learn. YT has about 9 bazillion videos on the subject but I like the Ranch Fairy vids on this subject.

I remember my 1st archery hunt day 1 nothing tired and sore day 2 nothing still tired and sore day 3 about 9am the whole woods woke up and they screamed all day
Ive been in need of serious therapy ever since and ill get some in Idaho about sept 6th this fall
OH and I shoot a 455 gr arrow with a cut on contact 2 blade to answer your question after my ramble

Like previously mentioned 450 and up strong SHARP cut on contact, i prefer big 2 blades. My current setup is 525 4fletch with 150 kudopoint contourplus.

I shoot easton axis topped with a muzzy 125gr 3 blade. The key is practice. A good reference is 1 Moa 2” at 20yds 6” at 60yds. Should be able to repeatedly hit a grapefruit sized target at 60 yds. And make sure your broadheads shoot the same as your field points.

Also practice the way you hunt. If you plan to wear a pack practice with it both on and off same goes for a hat or gloves. Practice with long sleeves and a jacket too. You never know.

This will be my first year archery elk hunting as well. I'm shooting a Victory RIP 350 with a 60 grain insert (outsert?) and a 125 grain fixed broadhead (Montec M3). Total arrow weight is 459 grains, with a chunk up front although I don't know the exact FOC.

Pretty much what everyone is saying. Fixed blade broadhead and make sure your arrow is at least 450 or higher.

Hey soup don't be confused. These numbers over 400 grains are usually the arrow, broadhead combo. I use a 125 grain fixed broadhead. Shot placement is the key for sure.

Back