MT 2023 elk hunt.

williaada

There are three of us headed out for the MT elk rifle season. Roughly 27 hours straight through till we get to our lodging for the next week. The group consists of myself and my brother four years of chasing elk mostly unsuccessful, and a guy who has never been out west hunting.

Now we just need to find some elk this year.

Last edited:
After little over of 29 hours in the car we made it to our cabin and we are all in bed for the evening. Going to scout access points and see if we can locate some animals prior to the opener.

Good luck to you all!! What state did you come from and what town are you staying near?

So this evening the group went out to try and find some elk prior to the opener. We did see some sheep. I decide to try another forest trail road and found out it was too narrow and not maintained like the other forest roads. Had to hand trim 3 or 4 limbs and push a top off the edge to get the Yukon through.

Mtnelk, you were not the only one who damaged their vehicle. I hit a log tore off the wheel well cover, broke the air deflector, and then pulled the bumper out of the snaps.

Tomorrow is game on.

Attachments

• IMG_2492.jpeg
    IMG_2492.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
Here is a picture of the bumper from my off wheeling adventure on a very rough maintained forest trail.

The rest of the days will be coming shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 50
Day-1

Our group got up early and headed to a well known bench and saddle where we were going to glass 5 different drainages. The elk would have been overwhelmed if any were in those drainages. There were 14 trucks in the parking lot, and the hunters were climbing to glassing locations with headlamps, reminder me of the history books showing the lights from Ho Chi Minh Trail at night.

Day light came and our group decided to be the third group to drop down. We were the only group unwise enough to to climb up the other drainage 2600ft of elevation gain in about a 1/3 of mile. We made it to the top. Once there we ran into a guy who came up the backside and camped over night. No elk and no elk sign. We learned later in the week needed to get higher to find the elk.

Day 2:
Our group decided to split up, and try a couple of trail heads and see if there was more recent elk sign.

The first two miles were easy since we were on a nice maintained trail. As the sun came up my partner and I came to a hillside i planned to glass. I got my tripod out, binos mounted, and was on my pad starting my glassing grid. My partner spent and additional 15 minutes getting his jacket and snacks. By the time my partner was ready I had done my first pass over the meadow.

All our hard hiking to get there at first light was for not. Some group had decided to ride in on horses and camp right on the hillside where elk have been seen for multiple years. One of the guys who hunted the area for multiple years made a comment about you have to be a special kind of stupid to set camp up in one of the known prime elk meadow.

After packing things up my partner and I gained the last 1.5k of elevation and then dropped down into a drainage to start running the timber. The run through the timber was productive. We had one elk walk by at 70ft but we could not see it head. Then about a half mile later. We snuck up on two cows. I was surprised we could get in that close, and not make the cows run off.

One interesting thing to note was we saw a ton of sign around 7,200 ft. If we went lower the elk sign disappeared. So we hung around 7,300ft. Going through the timber the elk sign started to disappear. My partner and decided it was time to make back to our car for evening.

During this hike to a separate trailhead things were not eventful.

So the guy rides in and sets his camp up in a nice flat spot that’s got good feed for the horses and pushes the elk off a little ways. You guys show up see a camp and say what an idiot that moved the elk and leave. Sounds to me like he knew exactly what he was doing and it worked well

So the guy rides in and sets his camp up in a nice flat spot that’s got good feed for the horses and pushes the elk off a little ways. You guys show up see a camp and say what an idiot that moved the elk and leave. Sounds to me like he knew exactly what he was doing and it worked well
No, we continued to hunt the area and located elk in the area. The guy who hunted there for a number of years made the idiot comment.

I laughed about the camp being there because we hiked 2.5 miles in to glass the meadow to only find the camp set up there. Just part of the public land experience…

Day 3:

Decided to try a new part of the unit at a slighter lower elevation 7,500ft or lower. This was the day I learned to get my climbing done while I was fresh, first thing in the morning, and then come down in the evening.

Got to see lots of country but did not find anything other than three elk carcasses. Two were cows and the other one was bull the head was missing.

The main areas I wanted to glass were some older burns, again no elk

My one partner was supposed to go up higher and glass to bedding and feed areas, but decided to try a different route. Never made it to the meadows and older burns. I was disappointed in him not following through. I would have done the short loop and made sure to hit the meadows.

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Next time have a plan B and a plan C, different area or different drainages. Ensure everyone is in good shape and is up to the challenges of elk hunting. Hunting partners need to communicate, cooperate and agree when out in the field on the intended plan of action and be committed to carry it out. Practice, planning, preparation, patience and perseverance will get you an elk. Sound like your partner was not that motivated or not in shape to hunt.....leave him home next time or as camp cook. Next time you find elk note the terrain, elevation, time of day etc...this will give you at least somewhere to start the next day if you don't have anything else going for you. Go higher, go lower, go early, stay late and don't be afraid of the dark and go where the elk are!! (It's like fishing in a lake, you have to go where the fish are to catch them)!! It sounds to me that with the number of vehicles in the parking lot any elk within two/three miles would have moved with everyone hiking through the terrain. That was the time to go to plan B. Sorry to hear of your unproductive hunt! Elk hunting is a whole lot different than deer hunting. Read up on elk hunting strategy and tactics, once you have a tag in hand spent time on goggle maps or google earth study plan A, B and C. Now days almost anywhere you go will be other hunters, the more remote you go the more the chances of less hunters. For all hunters in your party, they have to have dedication, commitment, be in very good physical shape, have the proper optics, equipment, be familiar with elk habits etc... Elk hunting is not for everybody. Only hunt with the people you know are prepared for the adventure. Successful elk hunt is an experience non-other. Next time be a little more knowledgeable and prepared with the right hunting partners. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back