Rifle build

174in

Gunsmith finished up my rifle I had him build for me. It has been in the process for a couple years. We mounted the scope today and he was impressed when he put the bore sighter in the bore and looked through the scope it only needed a couple clicks elevation and three click windage. Anyhow I hope it shoots good it weights around 8.5-9lbs finished. I bought all new parts for it he chambered and threaded the barrel and also cut and crowned it 23". It is chambered in 7mm-08.
Rem 700 short action
HS precision stock
Hand lapped shilen stainless barrel
Jewel trigger set at 2 3/4 lbs
oversized recoil lug
Tally LW rings lapped
leupold 2.5-8 CDS fine duplex from the custom shop.

Very nice! I'm doing the same exact thing to my rem 700. Still waiting on my HS Precision stock I ordered 4.5 months ago. Is there any benefit to the heavy duty recoil lug on a light kicking 7mm08? I looked at this for converting my 7mm08 to a 6.5 and wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money.

Very nice! I'm doing the same exact thing to my rem 700. Still waiting on my HS Precision stock I ordered 4.5 months ago. Is there any benefit to the heavy duty recoil lug on a light kicking 7mm08? I looked at this for converting my 7mm08 to a 6.5 and wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money.

I doubt there is really any noticeable benefit to it but the gunsmith put it in there being he had to fit everything anyway. You will have to mill out the spot where it goes into the stock a little to accommodate the difference in size. My guess is that your stock should be coming soon 4 or 5 months is about the wait time on the HS stocks.

The jewel trigger is nice.First couple pulls felt like nothing. It was at 1 3/4lbs to light for me in a hunting rifle so we turned it up a pound and it feels good now.

Once you do a custom build it's nearly impossible to mess with a factory rifle again. Nice rifle.

Just picked it up yesterday hopeing to get it out and shoot it tommarow or next week before I leave for Wyoming antelope.Hope to shoot a pronghorn or two with it on the first of October.I wont have time to load any ammo before I go so I guess I will see how it shoots with the federal premium ammo I have 140gr ballistic tip.

Sounds like the perfect way to break it in. I am guessing you will be good, Ballistic tips shoot well out of just about anything. The build I have in process is .260 rem, but I looked at 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmore as well.

Sounds like the perfect way to break it in. I am guessing you will be good, Ballistic tips shoot well out of just about anything. The build I have in process is .260 rem, but I looked at 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmore as well.
Sweet the 260 will be a nice one. I have a savage 111 in 6.5 creedmore im letting my dad use this fall. He had a a form of lukemiea a couple years ago and now his 7mm mag is kicking him to much. I havnt played with the 6.5 much but it seems great from the little I played around with it. I plan on working up a good load for that next summer also and changing the Nikon bdc scope with a leupold cds for him.

Uhhhh Dude. You do realize that you just left yourself with NO excuse for a miss, Right ? 44 yrs ago, I bought a converted M93 7X57, with my paper route money, and have been hooked on the 7MM ever since. I'm packing a 7mm/08 now for pretty much everything. Good choice.

Last edited:
It dosnt shoot to shabby. I shot a 1" group and a 3/4" group with it at 100yds with factory ammo and a pretty unsteady wind. I had the sscope all the way up to 8 power Im sure with handloads and a 14 or 16 power scope it would really lay them in there. Recoil is light. So far I like the gun

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back