Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Rifle Brand for 7mm Rem Mag

A little late to the party on this one and you probably already bought a rifle but I did pretty extensive shopping/research when purchasing a new 7MM Rem Mag this year. First, Weatherby is hard to beat. Here are my thoughts on a few choices:

Tikka: One of the most accurate out of the box. Not great for a suppressor (many barrels are not threaded). Also, I always felt like the stock was slippery.

Savage: Heavy. Unless spending north of $2k.

Bergara: Super accurate but heavy unless spending more than $2k. Felt unbalanced to me...barrell heavy side.

Rem: No longer trust.

Christensen: Accurate...great gun, just didn't like the feel. Personal preference.

Ruger: A little basic.

Browning: X-Bolt Speed SR (Suppressor Ready) is their new 2023 version and it checked all of the boxes for me. Felt great in my hand...accurate, balanced, not too heavy, not too light, great feeling stock, shorter barrel at 22" in 7mm and is suppressor ready. So, this was my choice.

Took down a brute of a bull elk this year with it. Could not be happier!
I'll be picking up the Seekins in a few days and putting a VX5 3-15x44 on it. I like your list that you have compiled. I was originally between Christensen, Seekins, and Bergara.

Tikka: Never owned one but heard great things. Not a fan of the barrel lengths they have.

Savage: Never have been a fan of these.

Bergara: Like you said, heavy and can get pricey for lighter top of line models.

Rem: Probably would give them a few years and see what their QC will turn out to be.

Christensen: Agree with you on this. My hunting buddy bought a Ridgeline in 300 PRC and we fought with it get it zeroed and I didn't really care that much for it personally.

Ruger: Agree with you.

Browning: This is the one that I researched briefly but now having settled on the Seekins, the decision would have been between the Seekins and Browning. They have a few models that are really nice that I have read about and they wouldn't have been out of my price range either.

Congrats on taking down a bull this year. I'm hoping to head west and get one lined up myself next year.

I currently have a Weatherby Vanguard 26' 7mm Rem Mag. I'm thinking about trading it next year when I get a bonus from work and I have already dedicated alot of time and development in loads to go completely away from 7mm Rem Mag. I've never bought myself a super nice rifle that I could use for anything. I already have a .308 in Rem 700 that I am putting new glass, stock and trigger on this year. The only thing I'd switch to, would be 7mm PRC but was looking for anyone's input as to what rifle they would pick up in 7mm Rem Mag. I would be trading it on whatever I would be getting. I have put a HS precision stock and timney trigger on it since I've owned it. Ballpark price range for the new rifle would be $2,000 and less. I have handled a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 prc and they are nice rifles along with a couple of Bergaras. Any input would be appreciated.

If your 308 rifle is a shooter, you already have a nice rifle that you can use for anything. If you just want a cool rifle, then it's all about aesthetics. If you want an ultra-reliable, accurate shooter, just buy a Tikka in 6 or 6.5 CM. Use all the extra cash to get it threaded and buy a suppressor.

If your 308 rifle is a shooter, you already have a nice rifle that you can use for anything. If you just want a cool rifle, then it's all about aesthetics. If you want an ultra-reliable, accurate shooter, just buy a Tikka in 6 or 6.5 CM. Use all the extra cash to get it threaded and buy a suppressor.
I just reloaded some 150 gn hornady sst for it with varget powder and my best group was 3/4 of an inch yesterday with a VX3 at 100 yards. It is a nice rifle but if I would want to go moose, elk, or bigger than those animals, I would want something a little bigger. I'm not into "cool" things that fit into the things that are popular. Never have been. Aesthetics mean crap if something can't do what it is advertised to do. I have real desire also to drop almost $1,000 dollars for a suppressor along with the tax stamp and fees associated with it.

I just reloaded some 150 gn hornady sst for it with varget powder and my best group was 3/4 of an inch yesterday with a VX3 at 100 yards. It is a nice rifle but if I would want to go moose, elk, or bigger than those animals, I would want something a little bigger. I'm not into "cool" things that fit into the things that are popular. Never have been. Aesthetics mean crap if something can't do what it is advertised to do. I have real desire also to drop almost $1,000 dollars for a suppressor along with the tax stamp and fees associated with it.

Do you want something that works, despite the fact that it's currently "cool"?

There is absolutely no US ungulate that a 6.5 won't kill with monotonous regularity. Take a gander at the 769 success posts on the 6.5 Creedmoor deer and elk thread on Rokslide.

Do you want something that works, despite the fact that it's currently "cool"?

There is absolutely no US ungulate that a 6.5 won't kill with monotonous regularity. Take a gander at the 769 success posts on the 6.5 Creedmoor deer and elk thread on Rokslide.
Yet again not trying to fit into current "cool" things. My hunting buddy bought a .300 prc a few years ago and just recently dropped about $850 for a suppressor. His .300 sits in his gun cabinet more than his 25-06 and .308 does. This also applies to the 7mm prc. I thought of switching but already having about 50-60 handloads from the previous 7mm left over, I didn't see a big difference for me to pick up a prc. I would agree that a 6.5 will kill just about anything. In my personal opinion shot placement is more important than using a huge caliber hence why I don't have anything larger than 7mm and probably won't own anything that large. I have seen videos of someone shooting elk at 4-500 yards with a 6.5 and .243 and that's great. Great shots no doubt. Just not for me.

Last edited:
I think that a Christensen runs about $2,3-2,500. Then add on the sales tax. So you're looking at say $2,700

Finally picked it up before the last couple days of doe season. Put a Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 on it and it’s a keeper. The 2nd and 3rd shot of the first three rounds I shot were almost the same hole. I will be uploading more pics and also info with the loads I come up with as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpeg
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2724.jpeg
    IMG_2724.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 23
Good choice sir! I'm not a LRH but appreciate a stout, flat shooting rifle for elk! I have the Mark V ULWT in 338/06 Ackley Improved, a Kimber 8400 Classic in 300 WSM and a rebarreled Mod 70 fwt with Shilen 25" barrel in 7x57. On the lighter end for elk, but it will work just fine under my 400yd limit. I hope you have a ball with that rig and get to shoot alot...waaay out there!

So far I have it shooting reloads of 150 gn ELD-x over 58.5 IMR 4350 with an overall length of 3.250 at half inch groups if I do my part with it. I'll be getting an American Precision little bastard brake to put on it and I'll be testing my loads out to 400 yards.

How does your rifle like the Barnes? I've been wanting to try them in general for either the 7mm or my .308.
..very much. I had planned to switch to a 131 Hammer Hunter but the Barnes printed too well.

I have the hornady eld-x working pretty well but I wouldn't mind seeing what they do once I empty the box of hornady.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back