Caribou Gear Tarp

Rifle Advice - .308 Ruger Scout

fowladdict

In the last couple of years my father-in-law has tagged along with me on a couple of elk and deer hunting trips. He has decided that he is ready to commit to purchasing a rifle of his own. He is the type that likes to spend time researching and analyzing things before making a purchase. He asked me what I thought about the Ruger Scout in a .308 caliber. Not being a fanatic like many of you I told him I would ask around. Besides the fact that I think they look great I don't know what else to tell him. Anyone have any comments on this rifle? The good? The bad? http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/index.html

Not a fan of a protruding mag for carry. Make a decent power upgrade from a Mini-14 for a truck gun IMO....but not my cup of tea for critter stalking.

Good looking rifle if you like mil style but there are better choices, IMHO, for the kind of hunting you described.

I guess I don't see the need for a 10rd magazine on a bolt action big game hunting rifle...target shooting yes but you'll rarely get 2 shots at an animal. Since this is a scout rifle, it is setup for a forward mounted scope and I'm not a fan.

I've handled one at the store and I just don't get it. Personally, I think I would put my $ in a Ruger Hawkeye or similar.

I'll echo NHY and Mtn, it doesn't look like a great carrying rifle. That said if he thinks he will be comfortable carrying it loaded with gear then go for it. Also, a 5rd mag could make it much easier to carry.

Why not an American? Lighter, cheaper, ect.

You can get 5 round mags for the scout, but if its just for hunting, I see no reason to just get a regular sporting rifle (American, 700, Axis, M70, ect, ect,).

I would suggest finding an older Remington 600...very sweet rifles.

I had a Weatherby Mark V and that thing was like a dream. Now have a Winchester Model 70 and although I have not shot it yet, I do really like the features.

Both rifles have the bolt lock safety but the Winchester takes it a step further by having a bolt and trigger lock setting and also a trigger lock while allowing full bolt action for chambering or unchambering.

Get a rifle that rifle that has a floated and bedded barrel. Not sure if aluminum or glass is better, or other but when I was looking, bedding and floating was highly recommended.

Taking it a step further, I have Vortex Viper HS on both of my rifles and they are every bit as good as the Leupold with a better warranty and the service is exceptional. My new rifle has the LR version which I will get customized for my load of choice after I shoot it this summer but also has the boone and crocket reticle for quicker ranging if needed.

I have never understood using a scout rifle as a hunting weapon.... if it was my dad I would get a weatherby S2 in 30-06, $500ish, Talley 1 piece mounts $40 and a vortex viper hs 2.5-10x44 $400. Under 1k guaranteed to be sub moa and awesome glass, economical animal slayer and quality ammo everywhere. I own this same set up and groups under 1 inch @ 200 yards with hand loaded 180s. My 2¢

Chris

Love my Tikka .270WSM. Put my bul right down last fall. Light, accurate, great trigger, did I mention accurate. 1/2 MOA

I don't have any experience with the scout rifle; but the Ruger model 77 Mark VII in .308 is an excellent rifle. I have one in the featherweight design with the stainless barrel, and it's never let me down, plus it's easy to carry and handle. I don't even know if this model can be found since the new American was released; but I'd check out some gun shops and pawn shops and see if one is available. Mine is topped with a Simmons Aetec and has taken many deer and has always been my go to gun, until I got my Encore .308.

He's got the right action, I think in twenty years we're going to be talking about the Hawkeye as the good old days of bolt action rifles.

I can't wrap my head around that set up though, I'd buy an all weather and chop the barrel.

:Icking a rilfe is like picking a woman. Taste is individual. You see something all glitter and glitz but when you take it out it's not exactly what you thought it was going to be. Many of the reasons have been listed here. Never have been a fan of the scout rifle design. At least not for hunting. For that matter not for forward single recon either.

This is why I love this site...great info guys! Thanks!! With my F-I-L being former military, the protruding mag doesnt bother him and with that being said maybe the look is what attracted him to the rifle, I don't know. The forward mounting scope may be an issue for him, especially when he has carried my old winny model 70 for the last couple of years. I will let you know what he decides. Thanks again.

If I recall correctly, the Scout Rifle has the 1913 rail forward, but also has milled in bases back, where the rear iron sight is, and just forward of the bolt, to put on a traditional scope. I think it even comes with the rings.

That said, the Scout Rifle is almost a pound heavier (not counting the weight of the extra ammo) than the Ruger American, and you get a 4 - inch longer barrel on the American. For a lot less $$.

This is why I love this site...great info guys! Thanks!! With my F-I-L being former military, the protruding mag doesnt bother him and with that being said maybe the look is what attracted him to the rifle, I don't know. The forward mounting scope may be an issue for him, especially when he has carried my old winny model 70 for the last couple of years. I will let you know what he decides. Thanks again.

Think it's over a grand msrp...that's a very doable conventional rifle wheelhouse...but if he likes it, who's to complain.;)

I have a scout, they shoot fantastic. There are both 3 rd and 5rd mags available in a plastic material rather then the 10 rd metal. Lot of fun to shoot, and carries nicely because of the overall length.

The caliber is a sound choice. The rifle is real nice as well. If the father in law is an older generation, I can see the appeal with the forward mounted scope. Leupold makes a great scout scope that has fast sight accusation. If the forward mounting isn't key, I'd go another route.

My choice for a scout rifle is a custom built remington .350 mag with a 20 inch barrel and a 2 X 7 power scope. It has never let me down and it has the knock down power for any elk or bear that I've run into.

Back