Rifle add-ons

Yooper906

Looking for some more experienced rifle shooters input, I’ve only really rifle hunted out of a blind. I’m contemplating if I should get a bipod or just shoot from my bag like I’ve been doing. I know there are pros and cons to both (like everything). Also, I keep reading more about a rear bag to prop the stock up, is this something I should get?
Yooper

Myself I use a bipod whenever I can. Terrain is my deciding factor more often then not though I end up in places where I can’t use it and it’s just extra weight. Even when I do use a bipod I don’t use a rear bag. How far are you planning on shooting?

Try both at the range and see which you prefer. I have gone bag only (flat for prone and up for sitting). I have also gone with bipod for prone and bag for sitting. Wouldn’t go bipod alone as you may need to see over brush for some shots.

Myself I use a bipod whenever I can. Terrain is my deciding factor more often then not though I end up in places where I can’t use it and it’s just extra weight. Even when I do use a bipod I don’t use a rear bag. How far are you planning on shooting?
300-350 yards. I’m green when it comes to rifle hunting. I’ve been in the archery kick for 12 years and all my rifle hunting experience has been out of deer blinds in the Midwest. Last 5 years I’ve been going on archery hunts out west, but going to start doing some rifle hunts out there. I just bought a tikka T3x .308, getting a leupold vx5 3-15, now wondering what I should get for add-ons (if any)

just bought a tikka T3x .308, getting a leupold vx5 3-15
Just a Opinion so take it what it’s worth. I have this scope and while nice, it is over kill for that rifle and chambering at those distances. I also have the 4.5-14 VX3. It is more than enough for what your wanting to do.

Just a Opinion so take it what it’s worth. I have this scope and while nice, it is over kill for that rifle and chambering at those distances. I also have the 4.5-14 VX3. It is more than enough for what your wanting to do.
Just the opinion I wanted! Haha I’ve been debating that also. Really appreciate it! Everyone says buy the best glass you can afford, but is there really that big of a difference in the new Vx3HD vs the Vx5HD? Right now I have a 4x12 vortex diamondback on my rifle

Just the opinion I wanted! Haha I’ve been debating that also. Really appreciate it! Everyone says buy the best glass you can afford, but is there really that big of a difference in the new Vx3HD vs the Vx5HD? Right now I have a 4x12 vortex diamondback on my rifle
I haven’t looked thru the new HD, mine are the VX3i. I’ve had the VX6, 5HD, and 3i. The 3i is more than I will ever need and I’m routinely shooting out to 6-700 at the range without issues.

IF money really isn't an problem, get the VX5HD. The illuminated reticle is great and the glass is definitely better. Maybe not by a ton but for two or three hundred dollars, Id go with the better glass. Even a couple of minutes extra light might be a game changer.

Looking for some more experienced rifle shooters input, I’ve only really rifle hunted out of a blind. I’m contemplating if I should get a bipod or just shoot from my bag like I’ve been doing. I know there are pros and cons to both (like everything). Also, I keep reading more about a rear bag to prop the stock up, is this something I should get?
Yooper
Depends on terrain IMO. Here in SD, I usually use home made shooting sticks, or bipod. But I also know where I hunt that I won't have to shoot over brush or anything else. The areas I end up in are public land that cattle run on, so the grass is usually 2" high with nothing else around.

Think where you hunt. Bipods don't give a ton of height (Unless you buy a really big one) if you need to shoot over something. Food for thought.

Yep, bipods are great for their application, low brush or sloping terrain etc. Shooting off your pack works well for a lot of situations too.

As I am a every couple of years western hunter, my primary hunting here in the UP is to usually hunt out of a blind or in areas with a lot of trees that I can use as a rest. I usually carry a pack but think I have only shot off of it a few times.

I find when out west or more likely Ontario or Newfoundland I carry a Bog Pod and it works well in varied terrain. You’re best off to spend a lot of time at the range with a tripod or bipod as I have found either take a bit of getting used to.

Used upside down i find the Bog Pod an adequate walking stick and with a little practice it converts quickly to a decent rest. That being said if I can, I use my pack as my first option as it is the most steady.

I seldom use my bipod, but if I lived out west I’m sure I would find that I would use it a lot More.

Obviously it’s a situational and individual preference thing and It’s best to try the options out before buying.

Tripods are nice for controlled situations (range) or hunting in open areas but I have found more often than not they tend to just be extra weight here in the NW. I have taken my bipod with me for antelope hunting in the plane states and it's been worth having. So much of this depends on where you hunt and hunting situation. If you are a consistent long range shooter in the mountains I also see no reason for a bipod (my .02). Given the distance and time to set up on an animal I find a pack and other make-shift (rolled up jacket under the recoil pad or similar work fantastic).

I used to always have a bipod clamped to my rifle, but realized just shooting off a pack when sitting or prone did 95% of what having a bipod did without the weight. I still like a bipod for pronghorn hunting where I know the terrain is open. It is nice to simplify things. As others have said, shoot off your pack at the range and see how you do, you may be surprised at how steady you can get. Also, if you get a bipod, get a pivoting model, much easier to use IMO. I've never used a rear support in the field, but could see where it would be useful. At the ranges you are shooting, it may just get complicate things.

If you get a bipod, make sure you get one that pans & tilts. Makes it much more user friendly IMO/E on uneven ground. Also, if I'm using a bipod I'd want one tall enough for sitting shots. THe 6-9" models are sufficient for prone, but I find there are other ways for a prone rest that I like better.

Harris S 25 You need the swivel and over half my shots are from sitting, not prone. But you have the option. It will not help you with running shots or offhand. Thats the trade off.

Wife has bipod, I don't. After crawling side by side, I am going bipod on my new antelope rifle.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back