Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Retiring....at last

Russia for pretty much any kind of critter would be pretty awesome. But something really unique would be a moose in Norway, Sweden, or Finland. That woudl be a big check off the ol bucket list
My aunt lives in Sweden moose country. The hunting sounds strange... Sounds like you are basically assigned a stand, and you shoot whatever moose you happen to see first. I may have misunderstood how it works completely, but what I heard wasn't appealing to me.

When I retire I plan on traveling and spending as much time as I can outdoors whether I'm hunting or just hiking and kayaking. I've spent most of my life under fluorescent lights, I want to spend the remainder in the sun.

When I retire I plan on traveling and spending as much time as I can outdoors whether I'm hunting or just hiking and kayaking. I've spent most of my life under fluorescent lights, I want to spend the remainder in the sun.
There should be plenty of sun in El Centro! 😄. Have you ever done a coues deer hunt? It looks like it would be challenging and temps could be decent during the season. When I retire I’m going to try to do a whole season of hunting in western states for various game. Likely some OTC wherever I can get a tag.
i agree that just being in the outdoors is fantastic even if you aren’t chasing game. You are so close to so many different options it makes me jealous. I have to drive for 16-18 hrs to hunt any big game besides whitetails. Also very limited options for lakes and water recreation near me. Can’t await to put this all in the rear view mirror in a couple weeks!

There should be plenty of sun in El Centro! 😄. Have you ever done a coues deer hunt? It looks like it would be challenging and temps could be decent during the season. When I retire I’m going to try to do a whole season of hunting in western states for various game. Likely some OTC wherever I can get a tag.
i agree that just being in the outdoors is fantastic even if you aren’t chasing game. You are so close to so many different options it makes me jealous. I have to drive for 16-18 hrs to hunt any big game besides whitetails. Also very limited options for lakes and water recreation near me. Can’t await to put this all in the rear view mirror in a couple weeks!
"El Centro, where the sun spends the winter "
That's the city's motto and that's where I plan on spending the winters, but no more summers here. Alaska, Pacific Northwest, Sierras, Rockies, Anywhere that isn't 115* f
I used to bowhunt coues in January but when they began issuing bonus points for deer I held out for the Strip for nearly 2 decades and so I quit hunting in January. After I burned my points I did an October coues hunt and in 100* weather I shot the first buck I saw, a spike.
I guide for ducks in December and January so those months are busy but the other 10 months are mine.
San Diego being a major hub for Alaska Airlines enables me to get free airfare to a lot of destinations with reward miles.

Congrats !
I'd recommend Alaska also if you can swing the cost. It's part of the US, so no travel restrictions, and easy to get tags for about anything you want. If you have the time and money, many outfitters can work out a combo hunt for two or more species, possibly some fishing too.

I'm four years retired myself, and have done most of the AK stuff, many western mule deer, elk and antelope trips, etc. Last few years I've been a whitetail bum, hunting three or four states jumping back and forth for about three months every fall. I can pay deer outfitters, lease ground, do a whole bunch of travel and get months of hunting days for about the same cost as a first class travel, 10 day big game hunt such as; elk, moose, grizz, or sheep, etc.

Congratulations! I'm in the same boat and decided on Newfoundland for Moose this year and Woodland Caribou next. After that I'm thinking Aoudad and Pronghorn.

I'd wait till Covid is under control before I thought about New Zealand or Europe.

Congrats on your retirement, well earned.

I'm eight years into retirement, best job ever. Good luck on whatever adventure you choose.

Back