Caribou Gear Tarp

Remington Core-Lokt for elk

Back to bit seriousness (buzz-kill Sarge)........find the bullet YOUR rifle likes the best. My first '06 was at least twice as accurate with them versus the "premium" bullets I tried. Killed several deer with that rifle. The Savage I shoot now is fond of both the TBTs and the Partions ....so it becomes a matter of cost at that point. Shooting well with a decent sized bullet is the most important thing.

The day I found the jacket of my 175 gr. core lokt bullet against the far side of the rib cage of the cow elk it killed, absent the core, was the last day I shot them @ game in my 7RM. Prior to that, the heavy core lokt bullets had accounted for 4 elk, one shot each, all recovered within 100 yds. Of course #5 that came apart was recovered from a dead elk, another 1 shot stopper.

Switched to 160 NPs, which were routinely recovered against the offside hide, The heavier core lokt bullets usually stopped inside the elk's rib cage. The 160 NPs penetrated better, gained ballistically and had slightly less recoil. Since then I found accubond 160s to equal the partitions on elk in the 7RM.

Remington Core Lokt bullets are basically all my family shoots. They are relatively inexpensive and readily available in just about every sporting good store in America. For those of us that do not load our own ammo, they are a perfectly fine choice. If you really want to delve into the science and physics of it all, there are probably some better choices out there as some have mentioned. For me and my kids, the Core Lokt bullets have performed very well on elk, deer, antelope, moose, and sheep.

Remington Core Lokt bullets are basically all my family shoots. They are relatively inexpensive and readily available in just about every sporting good store in America. For those of us that do not load our own ammo, they are a perfectly fine choice. If you really want to delve into the science and physics of it all, there are probably some better choices out there as some have mentioned. For me and my kids, the Core Lokt bullets have performed very well on elk, deer, antelope, moose, and sheep.

^^^ This. Minus moose and sheep ;)

The cor-loks should easily take an elk at 500 yards with a 30-06. Its a damn good bullet.

Having said that I pulled a .243 caluber (What appeared to be a corlok) off of a cow elk shoulder plate one year. It had been there a ling time. If I recall it was .243 caliber.

If you don't mind consuming lead fragments and are willing to chance a poor performing bullet these would be a good choice. With out a doubt they are a popular and inexpensive bullet that can probably account for tens of thousands of game animals being harvested in the US. I shot these for years in 243, 270 and 30-06, at deer elk and antelope. I had some great experiences and some terrible experiences. Most notably I shot a whitetail deer in the front shoulder. It was poor shot placement on my part but the bullet performed even worse, completely blowing up upon impact. I tracked that poor deer for two days before finally finishing it off; that was the last time I used Core-Lokt bullets.

In my opinion you can't beat the performance of a good monolithic bullet. I made the switch about ten years ago and have never looked back. When you do slip up and hit the shoulder it will punch right through and there is minimal meat damage compared to using a lead bullet.

So what happens to these "inferior" bullets at long ranges? How do other bullets perform better than a corelok?

If they shoot well in your rifle, shoot em. The will ruin an elk's day 100% of the time if you do your part.

The whole bullet performance argument is tantamount to the caliber/cartridge arguments.

Why use them unless you are on a budget. yes they have killed more deer and elk than probably any other bullet but they are old and there are way better options out there.

I've killed 11 elk with 180 grain cor-lokts out of my .30-06, two of them being bulls at 500 yards. I guess if you want to spend a bunch on the "better" bullets then by all means... I just haven't had a reason to.

^^^ This. Minus moose and sheep ;)
I shot my 3 Montana Unlimited bighorn rams and my Dall ram, each with a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet (Sierra's version of the Core-Lokt) from my .257 Ackley. I used two more of those bullets to kill one of my best 6x6 bull elk and my Mountain Caribou. All were one shot DRT kills with less than 250 yard shots. Of course I shot all of those animals before we had the internet to tell us that they wouldn't work.:LOL:

My experience was not good. It was on my first elk hunt, a large lead cow at 70 yds broadside. The bullet completely came apart when it hit a rib going in and nothing came out. Thus there was no blood trail except for out her mouth where she layed. Luckily it was fairly open terrain and we had tracks in the snow to follow. She went about 100 yds. I won't shoot them at elk (30.06 180 grains)

Why use them unless you are on a budget. yes they have killed more deer and elk than probably any other bullet but they are old and there are way better options out there.
Is the elk going to more dead because more money was spent on a "better" bullet? The elk won't know the difference.

I shot my 3 Montana Unlimited bighorn rams and my Dall ram, each with a 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullet (Sierra's version of the Core-Lokt) from my .257 Ackley. I used two more of those bullets to kill one of my best 6x6 bull elk and my Mountain Caribou. All were one shot DRT kills with less than 250 yard shots. Of course I shot all of those animals before we had the internet to tell us that they wouldn't work.:LOL:
Congratz on the sheep

Both of my son's had the Remington core lokts miss fire on them with nice bulls in their scopes never had that issue with the lower end federal or Winchester ammo. I have killed many elk with the Remingtons, however last year at the range 3 miss fired out of one box. I only use them to practice now. Once my stash is gone I will never purchase them again.

Both of my son's had the Remington core lokts miss fire on them with nice bulls in their scopes never had that issue with the lower end federal or Winchester ammo. I have killed many elk with the Remingtons, however last year at the range 3 miss fired out of one box. I only use them to practice now. Once my stash is gone I will never purchase them again.

That's not a failure of the core-lokt but of Remington.

Reload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back