MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Remington 783

JohnCushman

I'm looking for a rifle for my daughter's boyfriend since his parents were douchebags when he moved in with us and wouldn't let him keep his rifle. I'm not looking to break the bank, but I want something workable enough to kill an elk or a deer. I was looking at the 783's and wanted people's opinions on them. I'm sure for a $280 rifle I can't expect much, but it's got to be better than the 770's were. If they get married I'll get him a good rifle :D

Hey John,
I just bought one, a .270, the scoped package, and I gotta say I'm pretty satisfied if not downright impressed. Yes it was inexpensive and the scope is non logo (the fellow at the store says it's a Bushnell, just no markings to keep the cost down), anyhow, it shoots very well with the Hornady American Whitetail, trigger is adjustable, not heavy or unwieldy to carry. I bought it as a spare, just because of the price and because ammo for the .257Roberts my daughter shoots is getting way too expensive. Anyhow, just my two cents.

Hey John,
I just bought one, a .270, the scoped package, and I gotta say I'm pretty satisfied if not downright impressed. Yes it was inexpensive and the scope is non logo (the fellow at the store says it's a Bushnell, just no markings to keep the cost down), anyhow, it shoots very well with the Hornady American Whitetail, trigger is adjustable, not heavy or unwieldy to carry. I bought it as a spare, just because of the price and because ammo for the .257Roberts my daughter shoots is getting way too expensive. Anyhow, just my two cents.

Thanks!

I can't comment on the 783 but I remember Remingtons other budget rifles the 770 and 710 before that both terrible rifles. For another hundred you could get a Ruger American the "best budget bolt action " out there in my opinion. Just got threw my second hunting season with my 30-06 Ruger American rifle and I couldn't be happier.

I've actually seen the Ruger Americans going for $275 around here. Rural King puts them on sale frequently, and a lot of the other stores will match that price if you bring in an ad.

I'm sure the 783 would work just fine as well though, I do most of my hunting with a Mossberg.

I have/had a 710 in 30-06. In '14, right before speed goat season, had one of the set screws for the rear mount shear off in the barrel :( Before that, that joker killed every single thing I shot at. My first deer, elk, yote.....It came with a Bushnell and shot close to MOA right out of the box and LOVED cheapo Core Lockt ammo :) I would say that you have to do what your wallet can accept but if it is cheap enough to make a difference it should be ok. He is lucky to have someone that gives a shit :)

I had a 710 also in 30-06 and killed the heck out of everything. I love the Ruger American's and me and my wife both have them, but I've never seen them for that cheap. If I can find them for those prices I'd probably jump all over it since I have spare scopes. I'm just looking for something functional for him for now that will kill stuff.

I had a 710 also in 30-06 and killed the heck out of everything. I love the Ruger American's and me and my wife both have them, but I've never seen them for that cheap. If I can find them for those prices I'd probably jump all over it since I have spare scopes. I'm just looking for something functional for him for now that will kill stuff.

you'll be miles ahead getting the ruger over the remington Cush.

John, watch Wally World for their Remington 700 SPS specials. You would get a 700 action, then could upgrade the stock and whatever else you wanted to along the way. Neither the 783 or American have that advantage. Save you from buying two rifles if he is lucky enough to become family. mtmuley

Tell him that if he's man enough to marry your daughter, he's man enough to save $400 to get himself a gun that will feed them for life. :)

Tell him that if he's man enough to marry your daughter, he's man enough to save $400 to get himself a gun that will feed them for life. :)

Love it! My original thought was along these lines but decided to just answer Cush's question.

Normally that would have been my response, but he's come from a pretty $hitty abusive home and only works part time. He treats my daughter like a princess too. I've shot at him and even held a shotgun to his crotch to the first time I met him, so, I figure the least I can do is spend $300 on him so I can take him on his first elk hunting trip this fall (that his father has been promising him since he was 12). :D

Normally that would have been my response, but he's come from a pretty $hitty abusive home and only works part time. He treats my daughter like a princess too. I've shot at him and even held a shotgun to his crotch to the first time I met him, so, I figure the least I can do is spend $300 on him so I can take him on his first elk hunting trip this fall (that his father has been promising him since he was 12). :D

I'm wish I live closer as I believe we'd be good friends. At the same time though, I'm glad I don't. We could end up like Fin and leave a new truck in Mexico:D

So why'd ya miss?

John

2 questions:

What did you shoot at him with?
Did you miss on purpose or accident?

He showed up after her curfew in a car full of other people in a vehicle I didn't recognize and they all piled out of the car, so I came out shooting in the trees near them so the leaves and branches would fall on them with my Mossberg 500

What about a used gun in the same price range? It may actually hold its value better to sell or trade down the road. I just traded a marlin xl7 in .270 that would have been perfect. I may check to see what the shop is asking for it. They allowed me 200 on it so I bet they only want 250 or less.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back