Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor for Whitetail?

katmandew

I've been looking at a new rifle for 300 yards and less for whitetail. Need something flatter than current 30-06 for longer shots, but not super long range. 300-400 yards tops with most on lower end of that range. I think i've settled on the 6.5 after what i've been reading. I'd like it in the Remington 700 but there are so many options, just not sure which to go for. Prefer stainless barrel, but that isnt a deal breaker. Would love to hear opinions on which 700 to get.

A Creed won’t shoot any flatter than a 30-06 within the ranges you’re looking at, but it’s a good cartridge. I like my Mountain Rifle, but it might not fit the bill for what you’re looking for.

30-06 should be fine for your ranges, but who doesn't like buying new rifles?
Depends on what features you want and budget, I've been lugging around an ADL in .270 win for 20 odd years that I'll never get rid of. If I get another one any time soon I'd like to find an AWR.

I’ve killed 3 deer since Friday, 2 does and a buck, with a 6.5 Creedmoor shooting Sierra 130 Gamechangers. Distances were 320, 310 and 180. All were bang flops. I killed an antelope a couple of weeks ago a good bit farther. It’s a great medium game cartridge in an accurate rifle with a competent shooter. The only advantage over an aught six at the distances your talking is recoil.

Last edited:
Personally, I agree with the sentiment that your current setup would work perfectly for what you describe. The new gun money could be spent on setting up the 30-06 a bit more to your liking.

Another option would be to spend the new gun money on a handloading setup. IMO, handloading makes all of your rifles more interesting and allows you to tailor loads to a specific situation.

If'n you still really want a new rifle, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a dandy and I'd be looking at the Tikka T3 in that chambering. You didn't mention about weight being much of an issue and if it's not I'd look hard at the CTR model from Tikka. IMO, it'd make a handy plains and treestand type rifle. If weight is a concern, the regular T3 is plenty light. A Tikka with the scope of your choice and some Sportsmatch rings would be a good way to go.

I'll also just add, I have 2 Tikkas (.308 and .270), and 3 Rem700s (7mm-08, .270, and .280 Rem). Tikkas are highly recommended, but if you like Remington, don't hesitate. They seem to get a bad rap at times, but every Remington I've ever owned was very accurate and reliable. My 7-08 is a 700 SPS stainless. The stock that comes with it is actually quite bad, but the gun still has it where it counts. Im going to switch out that stock one of these days.

My 700 in 25-06 is my favorite rifle and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. I ended up with a 270 sps stainless (stock sucks as mentioned above) last year that I didn’t even want, had the trigger adjusted and it’s by far the most consistent shooting rifle that I have. Also have a 260 with a fast twist that’s almost a direct comparison to what you were looking at, good shooter and the recoil is great for someone new too.

My 700 in 25-06 is my favorite rifle and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. I ended up with a 270 sps stainless (stock sucks as mentioned above) last year that I didn’t even want, had the trigger adjusted and it’s by far the most consistent shooting rifle that I have. Also have a 260 with a fast twist that’s almost a direct comparison to what you were looking at, good shooter and the recoil is great for someone new too.
If you still don't want that .270 we should talk. 👍

Pretty set on Remington 700. All the 700 models are confusing though. Why are some 600 and others 1000? Not opposed to 25-06. Less recoil a plus, would like that so daughters can also use it during juvi hunts.

Reactions: Guy
Geez O'ree... under 300yds for a whitetail, only ? How many numb nuts are going to Over think/ Over gun this one? Yeah the Creed & a 7/08 are primo critter gitters! Yeah, dump the /06. You really don't need it for anything larger than a griz, and even then it's on the weak side.

Pretty set on Remington 700. All the 700 models are confusing though. Why are some 600 and others 1000? Not opposed to 25-06. Less recoil a plus, would like that so daughters can also use it during juvi hunts.
For what you're looking to use it for, I'd be surprised if a 700 SPS didn't please you in every way. And they come in pretty affordable stainless models too. You can always make upgrades later if you have a mind to - stock, trigger, and so forth. It's not difficult and the 700 has many, many compatible after market upgrades available.

I have both the 25-06 and a 6.5CM. With Barnes 100TTSXs the 25-06 shoots noticeably flatter to 400 than the CM with 127LRXs. No difference in felt recoil been the two.
The Tikka is a much better rifle than a Remington.

Good luck finding any Remington 700s for the next few months. Their factories are shut down while the new owners sort out their FFL manufacturers license. It'll be next year before they're back up and running, and then who knows which models they'll produce. I'm sure there will be Remington 700s but they may drop specific models like the AWR, etc.

For cartridge, 6.5 Creedmoor is fine for whitetails. Your 30-06 is a better long range hunting cartridge than the 6.5...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back