Remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor for Whitetail?

Good luck finding any Remington 700s for the next few months. Their factories are shut down while the new owners sort out their FFL manufacturers license. It'll be next year before they're back up and running, and then who knows which models they'll produce. I'm sure there will be Remington 700s but they may drop specific models like the AWR, etc.

For cartridge, 6.5 Creedmoor is fine for whitetails. Your 30-06 is a better long range hunting cartridge than the 6.5...

I concur about the concern about quality or production of Remington and wait until after the dust settles. There a too many other great options in manufacturers to take (even a small) risk on Remington right now.

The Remington 700 is hands down the rifle to get if you have future modifications in mind. Most custom actions are based on the Remington 700. And the Rem 700 absolutely has the biggest aftermarket (stocks, triggers, ease/standardization of machining for rebarreling, etc.)

If you're never going to modify it, other than maybe just dropping in a new trigger, then there are better options (Browning, Tikka, many others).

The Roundhill Group (new owners of Remington Arms) has promised to "make Remington great again" [my words not theirs]. I hope its true.

I bought and used a 6.5 on antelope this year for first time. Made longest shot I ever took in the strongest crosswind I ever tackled. Same gun, handed off to my buddy with proper instruction on holdover and drift, and he took an antelope with... whaddyaknow, the longest shot he ever took, in a strong crosswind. It was his first big game animal. I think it would do fine on any whitetail inside 400.

Not sure of the offerings but a 260 Remington might be the ultimate whitetail gun, essentially the same as the 6.5CM and you wouldn't have to hear all the man-bun jokes.

Last edited:
Did you say you wanted flat shooter?
257 Weatherby, 2.5@100=0@300.
2506 is a good second choice.

I'm almost at the point of buying a Creedmore just to irritate the haters.
My next rifle will probably be a Creed. I’ve also been really impressed with how they kill the deer, antelope, elk, and bears I’ve seen shot with them.

It kills better? mtmuley
Everyone talks about how a gun kills... Shoot it with a 338... That kills pretty efficiently... I've shot 3 deer this year, first was with a 270, I guess you could say it killed it good, then the next 2 I decided to take the big girl out and let her eat. So I shot 2 more with my 338. Even shot a fox with my 338 2 weeks ago. So I'd say a 338 kills even better than a 6.5 lol

Just to stay on topic... If you're staying within 300 yards there's no reason to go away from the 3006

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back