Relocation advice

joelwalters

I am looking for advice. My wife and I are hoping to retire in the next two years and we are looking for a place on the Oregon coast. Do you have any recommendations on a coastal town or area? We are looking for a town that isn’t too filled with tourists and has good access to public hunting and fishing nearby. We are also not wealthy, so our budget will be modest. Kentucky is our home now, but we both have lived in the Pacific Northwest before—just not the coast. The climate is a real attraction and understand that it changes even just a few miles inland and can vary a great deal from the south to the north. I have been researching Port Orford and Waldport, but would love to read your opinion. Hopefully we can come out in the next year or so to see some areas in person when travel becomes easier. Thanks for the help.

I would stay away from the coastal areas unless you are really focused on living right there. I spent 15 years in the military stationed in California and seen many cliff side and beach front properties destroyed. Iffn I were moving to a coastal area, I would find a place higher up but inland a ways to be somewhat protected from those spring storms that come in causing mud slides and that. I spent days on end driving 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks through mud slides to get people fished out or help the local governments with emergency repairs and relief.

I am looking for advice. My wife and I are hoping to retire in the next two years and we are looking for a place on the Oregon coast. Do you have any recommendations on a coastal town or area? We are looking for a town that isn’t too filled with tourists and has good access to public hunting and fishing nearby. We are also not wealthy, so our budget will be modest. Kentucky is our home now, but we both have lived in the Pacific Northwest before—just not the coast. The climate is a real attraction and understand that it changes even just a few miles inland and can vary a great deal from the south to the north. I have been researching Port Orford and Waldport, but would love to read your opinion. Hopefully we can come out in the next year or so to see some areas in person when travel becomes easier. Thanks for the help.
Port Orford is an awesome area. Never have hunted around there but I know people do well. The elk, sixes, and others around there are very fun to fish.

Plenty of public land along the entire Oregon coast with good fishing in the coastal streams and off shore. South of about Coos Bay tends to be a bit warmer with more sunshine than north of Coos Bay, with Brookings being the warmest. Brookings has grown a lot and feels kind of crowded and busy all the time. Gold Beach is nice and isn't too far from Brookings if you want to have more options for such things as shopping. Port Orford is nice and quiet. Bandon is too touristy. and Coos Bay is just kind of icky, although I do like Charleston. I would look at Reedsport if I were you. Then there is Florence. I don't know why but I just don't like Florence. It isn't to much of a drive to Eugene though, if you want access to a larger city. Waldport is nice but I always think that even a small tsunami would take out the entire town. I like Newport but it is touristy. Then you get into Lincoln City, Pacific city and on north to Astoria but any time the sun comes out everyone from the Portland/Salem area floods in. I have never been to Astoria but people tell me it is real nice. You can go inland just a little to Tillamook where they have great cheese but I don't know if you ever get used to the smell of cow poop. A couple of my favorite towns are Myrtle Point and Coquille . They are about 15 miles or so inland from the Coos Bay/ Bandon area. If I wanted to live near the coast that is where I would probably go.

Alot of beautiful places on the Oregon coast that would be close to public hunting and great fishing. Prices are extremely high at the moment, especially from Newport north as these areas are close enough to Salem/Portland for vacation/2nd homes. As @gouch mentioned, I would focus on the Southern end of the Oregon coast if you're looking for less people and better real estate prices. Good luck.

I would stay away from the coastal areas unless you are really focused on living right there. I spent 15 years in the military stationed in California and seen many cliff side and beach front properties destroyed. Iffn I were moving to a coastal area, I would find a place higher up but inland a ways to be somewhat protected from those spring storms that come in causing mud slides and that. I spent days on end driving 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks through mud slides to get people fished out or help the local governments with emergency repairs and relief.
You are right about the coast. I probably couldn’t afford a place right on the coast anyway. I have been studying the tsunami zone maps too. Thanks for the advice.

Plenty of public land along the entire Oregon coast with good fishing in the coastal streams and off shore. South of about Coos Bay tends to be a bit warmer with more sunshine than north of Coos Bay, with Brookings being the warmest. Brookings has grown a lot and feels kind of crowded and busy all the time. Gold Beach is nice and isn't too far from Brookings if you want to have more options for such things as shopping. Port Orford is nice and quiet. Bandon is too touristy. and Coos Bay is just kind of icky, although I do like Charleston. I would look at Reedsport if I were you. Then there is Florence. I don't know why but I just don't like Florence. It isn't to much of a drive to Eugene though, if you want access to a larger city. Waldport is nice but I always think that even a small tsunami would take out the entire town. I like Newport but it is touristy. Then you get into Lincoln City, Pacific city and on north to Astoria but any time the sun comes out everyone from the Portland/Salem area floods in. I have never been to Astoria but people tell me it is real nice. You can go inland just a little to Tillamook where they have great cheese but I don't know if you ever get used to the smell of cow poop. A couple of my favorite towns are Myrtle Point and Coquille . They are about 15 miles or so inland from the Coos Bay/ Bandon area. If I wanted to live near the coast that is where I would probably go.
This is great info, thanks a bunch. I was also thinking of Yachats which is between Waldport and Florence. Florence has a gun club which is kind of nice but seems a little bit large. I like small towns as long as they have the essentials—grocery, hardware, a diner or two. I will add Reedsport to the search. Glad to know Port Orford is nice, it was up on my list. Not too touristy yet. I am just at the looking at Zillow stage, but I can already tell the prices are pretty high. A similar house where I live is probably 85% of the cost of one on the coast—even a fixer upper. I really appreciate your help.

When we left Alaska we moved to Corvallis so dad could get his doctorate in Engineering. An hour from New port and Waldport. As noted above everything north of New Port is just too close to Seattle Portland and Salem. Gets very busy with weekenders.
Florence sucks. Don’t know why, probably because it’s only an hour from Eugene. The south coast is good, the Rouge has been getting good to great runs the last couple of years. I work with a couple of guides in Alaska who guide on the Rouge the rest of the year. It’s been good. Elk hunting is pretty good, it’s rainforest hunting, not for everyone. Slide over the coast range mountains and you’ll find some excellent black tail hunting.
My sister and BIL have a place in Yachats. He loves it there routinely kills deer and elk walking from his house.
good luck

My career start was with the USFS in Gold Beach. Absolutely loved the years I did there; good deer/ell/bear hunting. Amazing River and ocean fishing and crabbing. Up the Iilinois for steelhead and rafting, blackberry and elderberry picking up the wazoo. If you got tired of the rain and fog, a short drive up the Rogue got you into 80-90 degrees in a heartbeat. Ended leaving and living all over the west but still have a soft spot for that area though I don’t think the Mrs would do the weather!

I grew up in the Coos Bay/North Bend area, and although it is home and I am rather fond of it, it is a little dirty as someone else had said. Like a lot of towns, there are some really nice places and some areas that I wouldn't want to walk around at night.

Myrtle Point and Coquille are really cool little towns. Just far enough inland that you don't have all of the wind, but still only about a 15'ish minute drive to the bay and an hour'ish to I5. Lots of public land access with decent blacktail, elk, and bear hunting. Plus a ton of small trout streams and the Coquille River.

I really like most of the towns that have been mentioned, from Reedsport south to Gold Beach, a lot. There are also a lot of little communities in between and around those towns that might be worth looking at. For example, as it has been mentioned, Bandon is rather touristy and getting expensive. However I believe the Langlois area, which is south of Bandon not to far, is really nice but smaller and not as expensive.

Good luck in your search!

I grew up on southern Oregon coast, beautiful area. I would focus on Bandon down to California, weather is a bit nicer and more off the radar, if that’s important to you.

Bandon does get some tourists in the summer but nothing terrible. I really like Langlois, a tiny community a short drive south. Has its own identity. Close knit community, organic farming/grass fed beef, hunting, fishing sort of thing. Also close enough to Bandon for restaurants, etc

Have heard great things about living in Gold Beach and Brookings. Good hunting and fishing, plus ocean access.

The central and northern coast just don’t have the same appeal to me, a lot more tourism and less identity. Newport is ok.

Coos Bay and South of there. When I retire, I’m getting the heck out of this state. Marxists and their useful idiots run everything West of the Cascades. I’m soooooo sick of it.

Hopefully you've spent time there between September and May and realize you'll see lots of rainfall and lack of sunshine for what seems like weeks at a time. I lived in Coos Bay for a while and worked north of Coos Bay in the Umpqua National Forest. It's definitely appealing with opportunities for crabbing, clamming, fishing, elk, blacktail, nice beaches, few people, moderate climate and I've only scratched the surface. The rain and dreary weather can wear on you though. Alcohol seems to be a popular coping mechanism for the locals.

This is great info, thanks a bunch. I was also thinking of Yachats which is between Waldport and Florence. Florence has a gun club which is kind of nice but seems a little bit large. I like small towns as long as they have the essentials—grocery, hardware, a diner or two. I will add Reedsport to the search. Glad to know Port Orford is nice, it was up on my list. Not too touristy yet. I am just at the looking at Zillow stage, but I can already tell the prices are pretty high. A similar house where I live is probably 85% of the cost of one on the coast—even a fixer upper. I really appreciate your help.
Manzanita on the coast to the north is pretty.

I live on the north coast and while I really like it I'd say south coast is a better bet as far as less tourists and quieter in general. Hunting and fishing very close by, freshwater and saltwater. Tourist numbers have really increased on north coast last few years, big time. No real "off season" anymore.

As others have said, be prepared for rain, the "Pacific" is not always peaceful! It's green out here for a reason. More sunny days down south though. Port Orford area is beautiful for sure. Good luck on your search, hope you find a nice place to retire!

if your set on the oregon coast,id recomend southern oregon coast,,,central and northern coast areas are really getting jammed up with people,,bad traffic on 101, and high prices

You mentioned Waldport. That’s a good location, IMO. Close to Florence and Newport, but much smaller and less crowded. Good fishing and crabbing, and lots of publicly accessible industrial timberland & BLM land nearby.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back