Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Relocating Advice

C17loadclear

Hey Guys,
Gotta a question concerning relocating. My wife and I will be moving out west (retiring) in approximately 4 years and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the pan handle of Idaho or western Montana. The question is concerning making new friends as we will not know anyone at all when we make the move. Does anyone have any advice or experience with making new friends after retiring to a new rural place? I was in the military and it was easy to make friends as you have the common bond but with not working I am little concerned about meeting new people after the move. We also do not plan on living in town or having close neighbors. Thanks in advance!!

Are you religious? If so find a good church to attend. When my wife and I moved to a new town, we met many new friends at church.

Try joining a local chapter of an organization that you are interested in RMEF, BHA, ect. If there's a good sporting good store or archery shop nearby, that's another good place to mingle with like minded people.

Also, look for the nearest morning "coffee drinking" spot and that's whether you drink coffee or not. This seems to work especially well if it's just a locally run/owned café. Good ideas from Southern Elk too.

I am in the same boat, I retire from active duty in 2018. I will be moving back to MT, just west side vs the east side I grew up in. I know a few people already, but for me, I can make friends with whomever.

Church
VFW
Local shop's (fish/hunting)
Coffee shops
Hunt Talk...
Work, sometimes. (after all I don't expect to live solely off my retirement)
Kid sport/school stuff

Just some ideas.

Yeah we work at Fort Bragg and live in Sanford. Thanks for all of the tips!!

We have been here for over 20 years and are excited about the future but a little worried...I have never really liked the "C" word...."Change" but am looking forward to getting back to the mountains and the land of low humidity...:)

Good luck, I am in a similar situation, just farther down the road. We have started visiting and getting to know as many people as we can before actually getting there. As a vet as well I agree with looking for all the Veteran groups and outdoor organizations to get involved with. Good luck!!!

Mt has the highest % of vets per capita of all 50 states .
Should not be a problem finding a Vets club in about any city .
Most "Real" Montanans are very open and friendly .
Just stick out your hand and say Hi I'm _____ and you just met your new friend.

Just saying

What Coyotes-R-Us said, the vast majority of Montanan's respect those who are serving and have served. I still like to think that there is still that "neighborly" attitude.

If you really want to make friends . . . . locate some elk and share with me the location/coordinates . . . . . heck I might even let you come along ! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

JMG, Elk locations for friendship....That is a tough one...I will have to get back to you on that one....:)

We are looking in the Libby area but are open to ideas if anyone has one.

Like the original post said we will not "need" to work but we are open to part time/volunteering and want to be in or very close to the mountains. We also want to stay away from the tourist/college towns... looking at 20+ on land size with a modest house so my wife can have her horses again.

Thanks!!

Good luck with the relo!! I'm thinking I could enjoy doing the same. ;) You haven't mentioned kids so I'll assume you either do not have any or they are grown. For me, my wife and I it seems that the folks we hang out with are either neighbors for parents of kids that participate in the same activities, mostly sports for us, as our kids. Another good place to meet folks is at the gym. We were fortunate to find a small gym that is comprised of similarly minded individuals. Ours only runs classes which forces one to interact a bit and it has worked for us.

1_pointer,

You are correct no kids and we don't go to church. We are home bodies by nature but we both understand the importance of friends and socialization. My hope is that I will be really busy learning the area for fishing and hunting and meet people along the way...Maybe even some fellow Hunttalk guys.

This thread has really helped put me at ease to say the least...

<><

I think it all depends on where you're going to live. I've found that small towns it's pretty easy to meet people while larger towns I struggled to find friends that weren't coworkers. I'm particulary good at meeting people in small town breweries...sit down order a beer and talk. There is a good chance that the person next to you will talk about hunting or fishing.

HuntTalk is a good place to see if there is anyone around that wants to go fishing or hunting. The BHA Meetings and the Rendezvous are good places to track some of the crew down and get some quality BS sessions in.

Consider Archery and Trap Leagues

Last edited:
If you spent 20 yrs in N. Carolina, you already know how to be a respectable, friendly & open person. It will serve you well no matter where you go. 'Native', local people have a way they do things and for reason. Stay open to new, do not criticize, Never Ever super-impose "Well, we did it this way back home. Listen, learn, share, enjoy.

My life in the Corps took me places my younger me friends & family will never fathom. The "C" word should not even be in your vocab at this point.

The "A" words need to be there! ADVENTURE, ADVANCE, AWARD

Suck it up Buttercup, You're about to be a real live tax paying civilian !!!!

Well, as you know, we've been friends for weeks now, well, only talked once, but anyway, move out to Montana and I can visit on my annual pilgrimage to Montana.
That's all I got!:confused:

I will have an open door policy for sure...:) I like the 3 "A" words...I will remember those...

We are live and let live kind of people and try real hard to live in the moment and try not to change people... so hopefully we will fit in.

Local coffee shop/cafe were hunters,ranchers,normal folks hang out. Walk in and nod and they'll say howdy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back