Reloading room setup - looking for ideas

The last bench I built I used a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood. Ripped it down to 2 - 2x8 sheets, then used construction adhesive and 1 1/4 self tapping screws to fasten the two sheets together for the bench top. About 1.5" thick, heavy, solid, and not too expensive. Dimensional lumber works well, I just prefer a bench top without joints. The BB should work well.

The last bench I built I used a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood. Ripped it down to 2 - 2x8 sheets, then used construction adhesive and 1 1/4 self tapping screws to fasten the two sheets together for the bench top. About 1.5" thick, heavy, solid, and not too expensive. Dimensional lumber works well, I just prefer a bench top without joints. The BB should work well.
I did the same thing with 5/8” subfloor. I did a PU varnish, but wish I would have done a self leveling epoxy.

I built my reloading benches out of power company crossarms for the basic frame with 2x12 planks on top and those covered by a Formica top. It's bolted to the floor and the walls. It has lower shelves for storage. It's way overbuilt, but it's just right. I have 4 presses and 2 vises on them, and it doesn't move a bit. It's L shaped and each section is 8 ft. long. I also have kitchen cabinets from a house remodel mounted above. And recently removed all the fluorescent lights I had installed and changed them all over to LED. Wow! What a difference.

Ben I just built a bench for my reloading press's. The legs are 4x4 with 2x4 cross braces. I then put a 2x8 and 3 2x6's length wise across the braces. They are 11'7" in length and made the width 24 inches. I then cut 3/4 inch plywood to fit the 2' x 11'7" length. All pieces are screwed together with torque deck screws. Then for the top I used 1/8 inch hardwood siding "masonite" and glued that to the plywood covering. There is one 4x4 supports in the middle of the span. I also anchored the corners to the studs in the walls as well as the middle braces. I have my Dillon 550B, Redding turret, Rockchucker and a Lyman lube sizer mounted on it. It is solid to say the least. I then built a shelf under the top with plywood and 2x4 braces. Pegboard on the back wall and a couple of 8 foot shelf's above.
So far it works great. I have plenty of work room with the press's spaced out and can mount my powder measures with C clamps depending on which press I'm using or if I'm using the drop tube for BP.

I repurposed some cabinets I tore out during a remodel. It might be worth perusing Craigslist, etc. to see if you can find some. It makes for nice and clean storage underneath the worktop.
That would be my suggestion as well. "Re Store" often has some old cabinets and countertops. I would probably stay away from the countertops though. They usually are plastic laminate with sawdust cores. I have a feeling the cores wouldn't stand up to the stress of press.

Because I reload shotgun as well, I have a lip around the edge of countertop to catch stray pellets and powder. Vacuum cleaner sometimes has difficulty picking pellets up off the floor.

Scrap lumber and a Hilti nailer will make a great bench, anchored to the floor and wall. I built this beauty in about 1 hour. My advice would be to use more scrap lumber and make it bigger. Come on over to my house next time you’re in Bozeman, and you can feast your eyes on this gem...

View attachment 170698

Is there a bench under there somewhere?? :ROFLMAO:

If you have access to a table saw and some basic woodworking skills this base can be made easily in two days and then put whatever top on it you want. It's very sturdy, I've made two for my workshop with caster wheels on the bottom.

Attachments

• Workbench.pdf
    928 KB · Views: 21
Scrap lumber and a Hilti nailer will make a great bench, anchored to the floor and wall. I built this beauty in about 1 hour. My advice would be to use more scrap lumber and make it bigger. Come on over to my house next time you’re in Bozeman, and you can feast your eyes on this gem...

View attachment 170698

Dayum @shrapnel God forbid you drop a ring screw in there 👀🤣

As of right now, the conclusion is:

I'll have a 40x43 piece of acacia wood butcher block, 1/5" think. I'm going to cut it to form a 43x40x20 L bench, and use the 23x20 piece as an addition to the 20" side. It all measures up and should give me somewhere around 106" of counterspace, more or less.

Base will likely be 4x4 & 2x4 construction with a shelf underneath. I'm thinking a salvage cabinet or two will go well on the backside of the room, with the safe. Should give me plenty of room for the 3 presses and all the gear. I've got a desk for gun cleaning & a cheap woodworking bench from HD for stockwork.

I'll take some picks when it's done & follow up. Picking up butcherblock this week for the kitchen remodel & we should have it all installed/fabricated by the end of February.

Is there a bench under there somewhere?? :ROFLMAO:

Not picking on him but the part that made me chuckle was the large powder can and 2 feet away from the bench grinder. lol

I hope he doesnt turn his house into the next space shuttle launch un-intentionally. lol

Not picking on him but the part that made me chuckle was the large powder can and 2 feet away from the bench grinder. lol

I hope he doesnt turn his house into the next space shuttle launch un-intentionally. lol

Holy smokes, I didn't see the bench grinder buried in there! Are you talking about the powder can on the right or the left of it though? His user name is @shrapnel after all, he might live up to that sooner or later... :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 170698
Nice!!! Finally a loading room and bench that has more stuff in and on it than mine. And you get extra points for the Coors Light light.

I think that I've posted this pic of my loading bench before, but like Shrap, I made mine mostly with scrap wood. My bench is wall to wall 2' 3" deep and 11' 5" long, with two shelves under it. The top is 2x6s laid flat covered with 3/4" plywood covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. It has served me well for over 40 years.
CIuVDBPl.jpg

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop & look around once in a while, you could miss it."

F. Bueller.

Well the counter tops for the back cabinets are done, and the way it all shook out, I ended up with a 36x43 piece of butcherblock & a 5 foot piece of the old countertop for bench tops. I'm headed to the restore to find some cabinets that will work with what I've got. The butcherblock will be for the presses, and the counter will be for associated tools, trimming, case prep, etc.

Hoping to have it set up this weekend. Should make for a nice surface for 4 presses.

Attachments

• PXL_20210203_144027477.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210203_144027477.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back