Reloading Question - Where do you buy your powder?

Nitekast

Got into reloading about a year back, but a problem that I've been having is finding a reliable source for cheap powder. It's unfortunately caused me to lay back on pressing my own ammo, but as I'm getting into hunting it's something that I would like to start back up.

My question is, do you guys have a preferred source for your powder, or is it a "find the best deal" situation?

Thanks!

Whichever local shop has what I need. For me its usually Murdochs. They often has 20% off reloading sales, but I don't know if there's one near you. Midway USA has free shipping over $49. Have to pay the hazmat fee though.

Got into reloading about a year back, but a problem that I've been having is finding a reliable source for cheap powder. It's unfortunately caused me to lay back on pressing my own ammo, but as I'm getting into hunting it's something that I would like to start back up.

My question is, do you guys have a preferred source for your powder, or is it a "find the best deal" situation?

Thanks!

I don't buy based on best deal. I buy based on reliable sources. I use Midway.

Reloading for range and hunting. I would like to press about 2k .223, and 1k .308, then continue pressing to maintain those reserves. Wouldnt mind having a reserve for handgun ammo too.

Gonna need a Dillon sounds like. mtmuley

I’ll second this. If you want to load that volume of ammo and don’t currently have a Dillon 550 or larger press, you should put one on your Christmas wish list.

I load on a much smaller volume than you, and as such don’t worry much about it. I’ll echo the others as far as shopping for free hazmat sales.

Scheels typically has a reliable supply for me. Are there still shortages of powder places? Everywhere I go typically has a solid stock of anything they carry.

I have a Cabelas club card and usually try to get whatever I can from the store in Missoula on club points. But I also don't load a huge volume. Just enough for testing loads and hunting, generally not more than like 50 rounds at a time. A pound of powder will last me a while.

I prefer a local shop that is usually stocked pretty well. I did order an eight-pound container of Reloder 26, from Powder Valley, as that was the only place that I could find it. They are the best place, if you are looking for large containers of powder-which saves a bit of money, over small containers. Some powders are real hard to come by anywhere. The more different powders that you can use, the better chance of getting what you need.

Midway USA is another good place to buy and like has already been stated, wait for the free haz mat promos, if possible.

Midway USA is another good place to buy and like has already been stated, wait for the free haz mat promos, if possible.
This is good adevice. Midway does have these promos pretty frequently. I've never actually bought powder from them, but I go to them for bullets that tend to be hard to find in other places - Hornady Interbonds and Federal TBT's on occasion. Good business, Midway USA.

Depending on my needs I'll either buy locally or in bulk online. I've bought powder online from Brownells, Grafs, Powder Valley, MidwayUSA, and Midsouth Shooters Supply. Grafs is one of the few that stocks and ships real black powder. I usually buy when there are deals to cover the HazMat Shipping.

Here and there, but I've bought quite a bit from a small gun shop in Rock Springs Wyoming, they have some of the best prices and selection around, in particular on 8 lb cans.

Once a year our local "club" has a large component buy. I get it then when I need it. Last order IMR powders were somewhere around $22 a pound + tax.

Depending on my needs I'll either buy locally or in bulk online. I've bought powder online from Brownells, Grafs, Powder Valley, MidwayUSA, and Midsouth Shooters Supply. Grafs is one of the few that stocks and ships real black powder. I usually buy when there are deals to cover the HazMat Shipping.
Powder Valley also does black powder. Graf is great, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back