PEAX Equipment

reliable trail camera?

Baerman

I'm looking at buying a couple trail cameras but don't want to break the bank. Any recommendations for a trail camera that has good battery life, takes pictures out to a reasonable distance and is reliable?

Dick's Sporting Goods has a bunch of cameras for half off I would go to the website and r research the best kind for you from there.

Those are inexpensive. I definately wouldn't worry about it getting stolen at that price. I have the same question as twsnow regarding battery life. Can I leave it for a month and come back to it still functioning?

I found some reviews on them saying that they work great during the day but not so great at night. Do you have any pictures off of this cam?

Thanks for the input BrowningBLR

Browning (brand) has some cameras with great reviews. Prices are great also. I am currently reviewing browning cameras for purchase.

Don't have any pics on me, will next week. Great camera, I have left mine for 2 months and batteries still completely full. The camera picks up game great, and doesn't pick up little sensitive things like blades of grass and sunset/sunrises. I literally have zero complaints... I also bought this lockbox and python lock for them as well.

http://store.camlockbox.com/stealth-cam-p12-security-box-bundle/

Good deal. What the heck, I just ordered two. Hopefully I will have them set up next weekend. Thanks!

Baerman, post up your results of this cam after you give it a go. I would be quorious how well they work.

I put out three Wildgame Innovation cams about a month ago. They were on clearance at Menards last fall. Think they went for $65 on clearance. They are a 6mp black flash style. Curious to see how they worked.

I do have one Cuddyback that I won on a raffle and it is flawless. They are pricey tho. Also have a $100 Moultrie that is mediocre. Battery life is decent. Trigger time is on the slow side. Worst part is the slightet wiggle of a blade of grass sets it off. Hundreds of pictures of nothing sucks.

I have a couple primos 35s and they take pretty good pics, but they catch every blade of grass moving. Can end up with a thousand pics and 99% are grass. Settings are on least sensitive.

I recently picked up one of those cheap stealth cams on sale myself. The picture quality is just ok, nowhere near my old primos truthcam 46's or even a wildgame micro whatever I have. But I'm not out to frame the pics, I just care to see if there are elk in the area so pic quality is not a deal breaker.

I do however think the battery life will be exceptional. I put it in my garage to take pics of the family coming and going and had several hundred pics over the course of two weeks and full battery bars remaining. It doesn't seem to light up the red led's as long as other cameras so I'm sure that helps as well. For the size to throw in a pack and the price in case it's stolen or eaten by a bear I think it will be good. My old primos are D cell and last a long time but carrying them a few miles and a thousand feet up I like the idea of AA. Sorry I didn't save any test shots I took with the stealth cam.

I did notice it had a wider sensor than my other AA camera (wildgame micro) so that is a bonus. I'll be posting pics of elk and moose later with it.

When the temps get colder do the batteries seem to last as long? I would think below 30 degrees the battery life would decrease quite a bit.

Yes, they do go south quicker in the cold. I tested the first one I bought in my yard through the winter a few years back. Mine are only out from August to September usually so the batteries are always good. One could run lithiums or eneloops (NiMH) in the cold which I would do if I hunted on a farm. To put on public land I want as little money out there as possible. Knock on wood though, I have had no issues with theft, only teething bears.

I received both cameras and set them both last week. How long do you guys usually leave your trail cams in place before checking them? I'm thinking of going back in six weeks and then moving them to a new location for the last four weeks leading up to the opener.

I would say thats a good plan. Did you test them out at home first?

I didn't have a chance. I waited until they were delivered and went straight to the hills. I tested them on the mountain for reach. I will say that the range advertised is not realistic. I think I was out about 30 feet until the light stopped signaling that it recognized me. I faced them north to avoid sun glare and tripple checked the camera angle and put the setting to shoot once with a 30 second delay. I feel fairly confident they will perform to the settings I provided. I am still curious of battery life so I might go check them sooner if I have a free weekend before now and the first of August. Fingers crossed everything is working.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back