Yeti GOBOX Collection

Region 3 MT

fargoflyfish

My dad is coming up in a few days and we are going to try and get our MT elk applications in. We sort of narrowed things down. Here is the plan.
1. Hopefully draw a bull elk tag in MT
2. In early September, do an archery elk/deer/scouting trip in SW MT. Probably going to be mostly scouting, but we figured we might as well bring our bows with too.
3. At the end of October or early November, we will take our 5-7 day rifle trip to SW MT.
4. We plan on hunting region 3, but have no clue about where to go in the unit.

It sounds like region 3 in MT has some great elk hunting, but I have heard vastly different things from 2 people. One guy that lives in Bozeman said it is the best place in MT and there are elk all over the unit. The other guy told me that it is now tough to find an elk because of the wolves. Obviously the elk didn't kill all of the elk, but I'm sure they have been affected.

Any recommendations about where to hunt in region 3? One of my relatives went last year and suggested we go to the Lake Hebgen area. However, he didn't have any success.

Thanks

I sent you a pm with some recommendations.I'd def. bring the bow,the elk will be talking good and letting you know where they like to be in mid-Sept.you have a very good plan,but I'd hunt the very beginning of rifle before any deep snows
Also, the biologists are very helpful out there.Figure out what mountain range you want to hunt and get a 2nd opinion from them about the elk populations.I'd get the combo tag and get into some good muley action on the eastern side of the state

1/2 of all elk killed in MT are killed in region 3. Actually, its hard to pick a bad place to hunt in the entire region.

I'd narrow it down on what YOU want in a hunt. Region 3 is a big area made up of many units. You can find everything from wilderness areas to units with lots of ATV access. You can find units with some of the highest success rates in the state (yes, this means mostly small bulls) to some of the best general tag hunting for B&C bulls (yes, this means more difficult hunting). You can find units where hunters get charged by grizzlies every year to units where a grizzly hasn't been seen in over 100 years. You can find units with orange all over the place, to units where you can hunt for a week and hardly see anybody.

Decide what you want, then start doing your homework.

You'll probably find better numbers the further north you go. The southside has some really nice bulls, but you'll probably run into fewer animals.

Back