Red Flag Confiscation Orders

What follows is a response to the casual use of "violates due process." I'm honestly on the fence about these confiscation laws as a question of good public policy.

The Constitution could have stopped with "no person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property," but adds the phrase, "without due process of law." This is the operational clause of all the interests protected by the Constitution. (Side note: the 5th Amendment only applies to the federal government, but during reconstruction we adopted the Civil Rights Amendments, including the 14th's due process and privileges and immunities clauses applicable to the states; not until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 did it have teeth, however.)

The analysis begins with questioning whether there was a deprivation of life, or a protected liberty or property interest. Then proceed to what process is due and when. Under these laws you get a limited pre-deprivation hearing requiring a "preponderance of the evidence" standard, albeit without your presence. But good judges are not in the practice of baldly rubber-stamping deprivations of constitutional rights. Then there's a post-deprivation hearing with a right to participate, right to counsel, and a "clear and convincing" standard. You then have the right to an appeal in a state court. You may also have a right to challenge the action in federal court. All of this probably satisfies the Constitutional due process requirements, but I'm not aware of whether they've been challenged in the federal appellate courts. As another layer of protection, if the proceedings were initiated in bad faith, most (all?) jurisdictions allow some form of malicious prosecution or abuse of process claim against the accuser.

Notably, many states (frequently the ones that don't have confiscation orders) have self-defense immunity standards under which the shooter only has to establish by a preponderance of the evidence that he acted in self defense to receive complete immunity - both civil and criminal - for the deprivation of life. Point being, we require a higher standard for the confiscation of arms in "liberal" states than we do for the taking of a life in "conservative" states. Contrasting that with our agreement that we'd rather relinquish our arms and trust the process, it's safe to conclude we view the right to life to be greater than the right to arms, the late Mr. Heston notwithstanding.

I've waxed too long, so I'll close with Churchill: ‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

These kinds of laws discourage those that need help from seeking it. I myself will not get treatment at the VA for any issue physical or mental because they are so quick to call the cops and tell them you are suicidal in order to have you disarmed. Instead I pay out of pocket to have my back and any other issues treated. I know plenty of others that feel the same. Any law that assumes guilt and puts the burden on the citizen to then prove innocence is rotten at it's core. Holding hearings about someone to determine their suitability to exercise their basic human rights without their knowledge or ability to protest is evil at it's core, and so is everyone that participates. These laws are backdoor efforts at disarming us. Believing change is possible at the ballot box is laughable. Believing law enforcement care about the constitution or their fellow citizen's rights is ridiculous.

Thanks Bluegrassbilly, I thoroughly enjoyed your comments. It is a lot to comprehend, but well put.

Seems that for safety to self and others we can take away a persons rights without concrete evidence. As long as we believe a threat to be true. With the frame of mind that guns don’t kill people, people do, It seems we should take care of the people not the gun. In most cases that I am aware of, bad things could have been prevented. When something has occurred; 1) Someone knew and didn’t act, 2) processes already in place failed, 3) the weapons used were illegally obtained. The person, not the weapon should be safeguarded because if a person are intent on acting, the weapon/method does not matter. But I guess it is easier to lock up the weapon than the person.

What follows is a response to the casual use of "violates due process." I'm honestly on the fence about these confiscation laws as a question of good public policy.

The Constitution could have stopped with "no person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property," but adds the phrase, "without due process of law." This is the operational clause of all the interests protected by the Constitution. (Side note: the 5th Amendment only applies to the federal government, but during reconstruction we adopted the Civil Rights Amendments, including the 14th's due process and privileges and immunities clauses applicable to the states; not until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 did it have teeth, however.)

The analysis begins with questioning whether there was a deprivation of life, or a protected liberty or property interest. Then proceed to what process is due and when. Under these laws you get a limited pre-deprivation hearing requiring a "preponderance of the evidence" standard, albeit without your presence. But good judges are not in the practice of baldly rubber-stamping deprivations of constitutional rights. Then there's a post-deprivation hearing with a right to participate, right to counsel, and a "clear and convincing" standard. You then have the right to an appeal in a state court. You may also have a right to challenge the action in federal court. All of this probably satisfies the Constitutional due process requirements, but I'm not aware of whether they've been challenged in the federal appellate courts. As another layer of protection, if the proceedings were initiated in bad faith, most (all?) jurisdictions allow some form of malicious prosecution or abuse of process claim against the accuser.

Notably, many states (frequently the ones that don't have confiscation orders) have self-defense immunity standards under which the shooter only has to establish by a preponderance of the evidence that he acted in self defense to receive complete immunity - both civil and criminal - for the deprivation of life. Point being, we require a higher standard for the confiscation of arms in "liberal" states than we do for the taking of a life in "conservative" states. Contrasting that with our agreement that we'd rather relinquish our arms and trust the process, it's safe to conclude we view the right to life to be greater than the right to arms, the late Mr. Heston notwithstanding.

I've waxed too long, so I'll close with Churchill: ‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’
I realize arguing the law with a lawyer is a bad idea on my part, so I’ll leave that alone. I do appreciate the input from someone with practical experience. I still want to add a couple additional thoughts in response to your post.
I don’t think the reference to the preponderance of evidence in regards to self defense claims is a valid comparison to how the standard is applied in the CO red flag law. As we have both noted, the is no representation for the respondent in the CO law. In the case of a self defense claim, there will certainly be an objective 3rd party in the form of an investigation by law enforcement. So, both the dead guy and the survivor will be represented. There will be an autopsy, physical evidence, interviews, collected by professionals. In the CO law, you have nothing of the sort.

Until someone figures out a way to see inside the heads of other people, crime will continue to occur, and no amount of well meaning laws will stop that. I have no doubt most judges will take this very seriously and usually get it right, but I’m still concerned about the times when the system fails.

The way I see this "Red Flag Law" is that it's ripe for abuse by a disgruntled ex-wife or girlfriend or a neighbor with an axe to grind. Total BS, and you're guilty until YOU prove your innocence.

I imagine most police officers are opposed to these laws and many probably will not carry them out, especially as their application spreads out of far left areas like LA.
I have no data on this, but anecdotally it's there, especially considering that LE are overwhelmingly personal gun owners, conceal and carry off duty, and generally object to being treated in the same manner themselves. Seeking help for personal problems (addiction, mental health, etc.) is risky because not only can you become labeled unfit for work, but with a confiscation order you could also have your personal property seized - talk about insult to injury.
I agree with this. I have known cops that will do this just to put a feather in their caps and use the "just doing my job" excuse, so that they can be a big shot. I generally have nothing against cops, as I spent 27 years in law enforcement, but I have also seen how some fools treat people while "just doing their jobs". That badge gets to weighing about 50 pounds.
Interesting how that was your observation working in LE. I know maybe a hundred cops and really have not seen this attitude. One exception was a young guy fresh out of academy and unable to secure a FT position, so accepted seasonal work in nowheresville, ND. He stopped me for a burned out license plate light and importantly issued a fixit ticket followed by about 10 minutes of lecture/interrogation that was somehow related to the bulb. I'd be amazed if he was able to continue his career too much longer, but who knows.

The way I see this "Red Flag Law" is that it's ripe for abuse by a disgruntled ex-wife or girlfriend or a neighbor with an axe to grind. Total BS, and you're guilty until YOU prove your innocence.
There is that potential for abuse, however the proposed red flag provisions I have read about include a stiff penalty for anyone falsely raising the red flag or exaggerating for their own personal interests. Furthermore, support should only be given to those laws which follow due process and requisite investigation and substantiation prior to legal action, albeit in a speedy and efficient manner.

Okay, suppose for a moment that there is good protection for the owner to get his guns back (There should be an automatic full return in 30 days or some such arbitrary timeline. I don't know, maybe there is). Now suppose further that I am a Colt collector, and I have a display case with a dozen pristine (98%+) Pythons in my mancave. I never handle them without gloves, the cylinders have never been turned, and I have spent a lot of money ensuring a good environment for the collection- controlled humidity, controlled temperature, museum-quality displays, etc. My neighbor decides I look suicidal one day and calls the sheriff. What are the odds that the raiding party uses the same care in handling and storage that I do? Or will they be stacked in a crowded secure vault somewhere, maybe in Ziploc evidence bags? They will certainly use basic firearms safety protocols- open the cylinder, spin it, slam it shut, clamp a trigger lock on it. When they are returned to me with dings and possibly rust, who is liable for the substantial difference between the value when they were taken and when they are returned? If I were genuinely suicidal, okay. But we all know that laws like this are abused by petty and vindictive people all the time, much like child welfare laws. And like child welfare laws, when used properly they can do a lot of good. The odds are that my neighbor is not a clinical psychologist, yet he is allowed to make a medical diagnosis that stands up in court, without any examination or qualification. Most likely, he is an antigunner who genuinely thinks my collection is a threat to everyone, so he is not liable to any false accusation penalties because he was genuinely concerned, but ignorant.

My FIL is a gun collector and he was told to remove his guns from his possession in x amount of time by a manner of his own choosing then be inspected. He had a friend take possession of them, and got them back after the order was dropped a couple months later. Major inconvenience but he did jump through the hoops and got to control movement and storage so nothing was damaged. However, some states it's not nearly so respectful and you the gun owner have far less say in How it goes down.

I don't agree with taking guns one bit, but I think that article does a good job explaining that if it does happen to you, don't fight with the police doing their job serving the court order. Rather, show them to your guns and keep your mouth shut and let your lawyer do their job and get you your guns back.

I'm happy that I have never lived in a state where this is a problem, but I have also lived in a state with exceptionally high rates of suicide, many with firearms. At the end of the day I have to ask if saving someone from suicide is worth the risk of taking guns from someone innocent. I honestly can say I am torn about this, especially when I have seen the affects of suicide first hand. I get the argument that if you take guns away they will find another way to do the act, but is saving even one child's life worth it? or one young adult? Man is that a tough thing for me to process personally...
no it is not . if someone wants to take their own life who are we to stop them??? especially if doing so harms an innocent.

shall not be infringed , is pretty clear.

we live in a society that must pass a thousand laws where only one is needed. why? because it gives us a false sense of security to do so.

last I checked, murder was already against the law, yet folks just keep on a doin it.

there is no law that stops crazy before crazy , before crazy happens. founders knew this . pity we forgot.

Last edited:
no it is not . if someone wants to take their own life who are we to stop them??? especially if doing so harms an innocent.

shall not be infringed , is pretty clear.

we live in a society that must pass a thousand laws where only one is needed. why? because it gives us a false sense of security to do so.

last I checked, murder was already against the law, yet folks just keep on a doin it.

there is no law that stops crazy before crazy , before crazy happens. founders knew this . pity we forgot.
Ya but your "harms an innocent" comment means just taking away a gun whereas someone committing suicide ends someones life... I'm a little concerned for you that the life of someone isn't worth the chance of one wrong person losing their guns...

Also, let's think about "life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness" (Declaration of Independence) which are unalienable rights to which the government is created to protect, to think a gun is more important than a life is so off base man.

with regards to laws: blowing up a building is illegal, but should we make C4 legal since we have a law against blowing up buildings?

it's not about a gun ,IT'S about ones rights . the rights of an innocent individual is much more important then the life of one who wishes to die anyhow.

it is also the right of said individual to take his own life if they so choose .

that's the trouble with this nation , we speak of liberty but we do not really believe in it.
to provide ourselves with a false sense of security, we'd rather punish the innocent for the flaws of a few.

in doing so we will have neither liberty nor security . by doing so , we deserve neither! - (parphrazed qoute from ben )

Last edited:
".... shall not be infringed , is pretty clear." Then why the debate ... why the NRA?

"(parphrazed qoute from ben )" A brief pause to proofread provides increased respect for your assertion. Otherwise ... not so much.

".... shall not be infringed , is pretty clear." Then why the debate ... why the NRA?

"(parphrazed qoute from ben )" A brief pause to proofread provides increased respect for your assertion. Otherwise ... not so much.
why the debate ?????? easy answer is because we have many in this nation who care nothing for liberty . not even their own.
many would gladly enslave themselves ,if it would help silence those who disagree with them.
this is a sad truth but truth non the less.

Ya but your "harms an innocent" comment means just taking away a gun whereas someone committing suicide ends someones life... I'm a little concerned for you that the life of someone isn't worth the chance of one wrong person losing their guns...

Also, let's think about "life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of happiness" (Declaration of Independence) which are unalienable rights to which the government is created to protect, to think a gun is more important than a life is so off base man.

with regards to laws: blowing up a building is illegal, but should we make C4 legal since we have a law against blowing up buildings?
in regards to the c-4 …… in my mind , yes we should. anything the government can own an individual should be able to own.
yes, that includes nukes .

there was a time when we had a concept -" innocent till proven guilty" . we have abandoned that concept, for a false sense of security.

the founders would be disgusted in us.

why the debate ?????? easy answer is because we have many in this nation who care nothing for liberty . not even their own.
many would gladly enslave themselves ,if it would help silence those who disagree with them.
this is a sad truth but truth non the less.
You missed the point. 'Sorry I posted. Carry (rant) on.

Lots of back and forth here for something that is pretty simple. In this country, if you would like to come on the private property of American citizens to confiscate some of that citizen’s property, especially property that is guaranteed to them under a constitutional amendment, you go through due process first.

If you can’t be bothered to do that, you are proving the relevance of the second amendment in a modern society.

people seldom respect anothers honest opinions . but i do appreciate your taking the time to think on it.

you go through due process first.

One could easily argue a court issued order is part of the due process. With it come time constraints, hearings, and appeals.

The underlying question is does the potential danger this person poses to society temporarily override their right to life, liberty and happiness until the courts can decide if the threat is valid or not.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back