Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Recommendations for Handheld GPS units

evening all,

i'd like to some input on HH GPS units. i'm an east coast hunter mainly, but will eventually begin making trips out west. i would like to know pros/cons, if you wouldn't mind sharing. i have limited use with a older Garmin unit my father in-law had on his boat about 10 years ago. also, i'd like a unit to have to option to use Huntmaps app/SD Card etc.. thanks for your thoughts!

shawn

Use the forum search feature of this website. There are several good discussions @ gps's. Garmin seems to be a strong favorite. If ur gonna use it in cold weather, avoid the touchscreen models. My personal tip...buy a brightly colored unit so its easier to find in the woods.

I really like my Delorme PN-60. Moreso than the Garmin units I've used for work and play. That said, they do not take the landowner chips. However, they have a way to get the same info on them, its just a bit 'techy' to do so.

I have a Garmin 62s and love it. Also have On xmaps and they work great together. If you get the chance get the 62stc. It has a camera built in that takes great pictures. With the 62 series you can also communicate with other units of the series. Only reason I did not get the 62stc is, "she who must be obeyed" did not like the price tag.

I also have the Garmin 62s and think it is great. But I can't stop carrying my compass for backup.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Garmin Montana 600T because REI has it on sale for $449. I played with a friend's Montana 600 while elk hunting recently and was impressed by the big touch screen and rapid response that lets you look at the surrounding area easily. Apparently it doubles as a road GPS with audible turn by turn prompts. If anyone has a Montana I'd be interested in your opinion.

Of course as soon as I get it Garmin will dump the model for a new one that's higher tech and more user friendly. I'll be selling my Garmin Colorado 400T.

I upgraded my old Garmin 60c to a Garmin 62s this year.

Compared to the old 60s the 62s is super fast from power on to link up and even links up in the house, doesn't lose connection in the deep valleys/dark timber and has a micro sd slot.

I'm also really happy with garmin Blue Charts and the 100k topo maps I've used. I haven't tried the land owner maps yet but I love the concept.

On sale!
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IHV6YG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003IHV6YG&linkCode=as2&tag=fifty1fiftyco-20&linkId=RWWFR7FVLTWS3JR2]Garmin 62s[/URL]

Excellent GPS.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin 62s and love it. Also have On xmaps and they work great together. If you get the chance get the 62stc. It has a camera built in that takes great pictures. With the 62 series you can also communicate with other units of the series. Only reason I did not get the 62stc is, "she who must be obeyed" did not like the price tag.

x2 for this. Just used the landowner maps on a RFW hunt and it was great....it made the outfitter smile too to know that I was actually where I was supposed to be :)

My brother and I have Rino's I have the older 530. I got him a 655 for X-mas a couple of years ago. I really like them because they have the radio too. My brother gets turned around all the time, but with the On-X maps when I just push the call button it shows him on his map right where I am. That's what I like about the Rino's so much. You don't even necessarily have to talk, just pushing the call button updates my location on his screen! The 655 that he has also has a built in camera and a lot faster processor than my 530, which means panning the map is pretty much seamless

I have a Dakota 20 that I bought from the Garmin store for $120 something delivered. I used it a lot hunting elk this last fall and it is a very good unit. The Dakota 20 is very small which helps, also. I used a 10 for years, but it would not take the chip, so I upgraded.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back