Recommendations for 16 gauge shotgun

Just saw that the September issue of Shooting Sportsman magazine has an article on new stack barrel 16s. Something to drool over, anyway.

I have always thought the Ruger Red label o/u was the one shotgun I would buy, if I bought another.

Are they making them at all any more? I'm patiently waiting for my father to hand down his 12ga Red Label.

Are they making them at all any more? I'm patiently waiting for my father to hand down his 12ga Red Label.
Haven't made them since 2014 I think, which is a shame. I have an early one in 20 ga with the blued receiver and it's my go to pheasant and grouse gun. On the heavy side compared to some of the other 20's but I shoot it better.

I always thought the Rugers were pretty darn heavy for what they were. But there must be a pile of them on the used market. They were popular guns.

I Vikingsguy, too bad you aren't interested in a double 12. I almost bought one tonight at the range. It is a Manton, probably really close to the 6# mark, with 28" barrels. Original case (not box, case) that still had it's silver oil bottle. Quite a lot of cast off too. At least 3/8" maybe a 1/2". I thought the price was pretty nice too.

If you jump on one of those A5's they may be hard to convert to cast off. They are almost certainly American Black Walnut. I think they also have a through bolt, but I may be completely wrong about that, but neither feature makes it easy to bend.

I always thought the Rugers were pretty darn heavy for what they were. But there must be a pile of them on the used market. They were popular guns.

I Vikingsguy, too bad you aren't interested in a double 12. I almost bought one tonight at the range. It is a Manton, probably really close to the 6# mark, with 28" barrels. Original case (not box, case) that still had it's silver oil bottle. Quite a lot of cast off too. At least 3/8" maybe a 1/2". I thought the price was pretty nice too.

If you jump on one of those A5's they may be hard to convert to cast off. They are almost certainly American Black Walnut. I think they also have a through bolt, but I may be completely wrong about that, but neither feature makes it easy to bend.
You have peaked my interest, what was the price? I might consider a SxS if it scratched an itch, but only if it shoots modern shells, no flintlock shotgun for me.

I have seen red label 20ga. guns for $700-900.
The 28ga. guns are harder to find for that price. But used ones are everywhere practically. A good deal could be had, I'm betting.
The highly engraved models are usually salty, but beautiful.
I thought thier weight was just right to take up recoil and still Handel and point well.

The 28ga. guns are harder to find for that price. But used ones are everywhere practically. A good deal could be had, I'm betting.
I thought thier weight was just right to take up recoil and still Handel and point well.
I ran into a red label 20 gauge in the used rack at scheels a few years back. It was mint and 750 bucks. If I wouldn't have had a baby due soon with a mountain of medical bills, we would have walked out with it. Still wish I could have bought it.

The prices have been climbing recently. Seeing a lot more in the $900-1000+ range vs $7-800 a year or two ago.

The only one I have found is the new version of the Browning A5. But used is an option.
I’ve been lucky enough to shoot one of the new ones at Kjergaard’s Dealer Demo Day’s event out in Lake Benton two summers in a row. It is such a sweet shotgun that could easily turn me into a shotgun guy if I could get past the price tag. Much like the lore of the original Sweet Sixteens spoke of, it handles like a 20ga but hits closer to a 12ga. If I wasn’t so gung-ho over 870’s I could very easily be persuaded to pick one of these up.

I'm kind of in your same position of wanting a 16. In your price range you're kind of limited on you options (I am pretty much am in the same range myself).

In a semi auto there's the Browning A5 Sweet 16.

In O/U theres the Browning Citori (which are largely the excellent Japanese built Miroku shotguns), the B. Rizzini BR110 which is a highly awarded Italian gun, hope for a really good sale on the Barrett Rutherford, and then there are the used options.

In SxS you can add CZ, FAIR shotguns, and a few others but personally I'm leaning towards the O/U options in a Barrett, Browning, or B. Rizzini if I stick with 16. I like the idea of something different but in reality a 12 or 20 with modern ammo can literally do it all.

Thanks all - good food for thought. I may go old school on this one rather than new. I will be keeping my eye online a strike when the spirit moves me. BrentD or Ben shoot me a PM if you run across something interesting (but not flintlock - gotta shoot modern shells (lead or tungsten).

I'm looking too, so you are only going to get hand-me down recommendations from me :) There is a really nice Francotte at Champlin's that has my eye.

Oh, look at Hill Rod and Gun. He always has some nice doubles and often 16s. Of course none of them are stacked.

Have you considered a run to Puglisi? Any time is a good time in Duluth.

I'm looking too, so you are only going to get hand-me down recommendations from me :)

Have you considered a run to Puglisi? Any time is a good time in Duluth.
I don't think we are in the same budget category so no real competition.

I haven't been there yet but since I drive through Duluth 20 times a year going up north I really need to stop in one of these times.

Back