Caribou Gear Tarp

Recommendation for chronometer?

There seem to be a lot of mixed experiences with the Caldwell. A guy I work with has us 2. The first one was problematic and he actually wound up shooting it because the bullet had to pass very very close to the sensors and it had to be between 6 and 8 feet away before it would read. He messed up and put a .30 cal X bullet through it. He says the replacement he bought has not been nearly as difficult.

We found that the magneto is awesome for checking velocity. The weight of the device attached to your barrel can change the harmonics enough to where your groups will be different when you take it off. The Labradar doesn't have the same issue. If you don't care about shooting across a chony for every shot then get the magneto and be done. If you want to shoot most shots over a chony then the magneto isn't your option. When I'm going through load development I shoot every single shot over a chrony until I get the load I want to shoot. Then I know the speed and don't care for the most part. I will spot check for speed changes every now and then. Side note - a barrel will change speeds (increase) dramatically for the first 50-75+ shots depending on the barrel. Then the barrel will start producing consistent speed. load development prior to 50 shots can be a bit of a challenge depending on what type of group you are trying to achieve.

I use the magneto speed and don’t get any really noticeable POI changes.. I have the Caldwell one which i use mostly for my bow because I have issues with the covers blowing off due to the muzzle blast and I hate having to get a line break at the range to set it back up and interrupting the other shooters at the range

Your muzzle blast is blowing the sunscreens off at the end of the provided cable(roughly 15’)? If so, that’s impressive.

I use magneto speed couldn't be happier. Never had to mess with it or have it come loose. I only use it to check velocities. I don't shoot groups with it and don't see a need to.

I use magneto speed couldn't be happier. Never had to mess with it or have it come loose. I only use it to check velocities. I don't shoot groups with it and don't see a need to.

I finally broke down and bought one this weekend. Same result as above. Did 12 rounds into the berm and had a complete velocity ladder. Now on to grouping and seat depth. Does not get much easier.

Have both the Beta Chrony Master and the Magneto speed. Hands down the Mspeed is super easy to use. I haven't touched the Beta Chrony since purchasing the Mspeed. Beta Chrony is also easy to use once set up, but it is best used at a range all by yourself as you have to make sure you don't shoot the arms. :)

I do not shoot for groups when using a chrono as I use the flat spot test to find the speed, then go load for groups around the charge weight and not using the Mspeed again until I have the groups I want, then shoot a few more to verify speed.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back