Recommendation for chronometer?

Blaser270

Looking for your thoughts on a recommendation for a chronometer for load development (in case you thought i intended to take it huntingšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø)šŸ˜‚. Not interested in the ā€œ clamp to the barrelā€ kind, as i dont want to mess with barrel harmonics. And probably not doppler due to $$$.
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Labradar. Iā€™ve used it side by side with my Magneto speed and they were less than a FPS apart. Those are the only two I trust for really accurate results.

I'm using a Chrony Beta Master. Little over $100.
I took some foam, and an old fishing tackle box and made a custom box to carry/store it in.
No matter what you get, fresh batteries are the key.

Caldwell is all that I'll use. Great value, has proven to be very accurate, and everything stores to the free app on my phone.

lab Radar is the bomb. It works great for load development because it doesn't touch your barrel unlike the magneto speed. The magneto speed is great if you are just looking to check the speed when you are done with load development but I always use a chrony when doing load development. Used the Chrony Beta Master and it can be touchy in different light in AZ.

I have a Caldwell, pretty accurate but it sure is a lot of trouble to us on an outdoor range in the northwest. It wasn't expensive. I think I spent $80 on it.

I just use a Magnetospeed these days. It does throw off your POI, so you wouldn't really want to try shooting for groups and velocity data at the same time. It sure is a lot simpler than setting up that Caldwell and hoping the weather cooperates, though.

I have a Caldwell, pretty accurate but it sure is a lot of trouble to us on an outdoor range in the northwest. It wasn't expensive. I think I spent $80 on it.

I just use a Magnetospeed these days. It does throw off your POI, so you wouldn't really want to try shooting for groups and velocity data at the same time. It sure is a lot simpler than setting up that Caldwell and hoping the weather cooperates, though.

Have you noticed group size being the same just POI has shifted?

I recommend ProChrono if you are interested in a light based system. Does well with everything from arrows to rifles.

I been looking at this without opening it , trying to figure out what a chronometer was. Figured it had to be a chronograph! I have one that straps on to the barrel, never used it. Also have a Pact MK IV timer with chronograph function, Pact and been a great one!

What's giving you so much trouble with setting up and using your Caldwell? I use one and thought it was very easy to setup and use. It seemed alot more handy than the other ones I've seen or used.

What's giving you so much trouble with setting up and using your Caldwell? I use one and thought it was very easy to setup and use. It seemed alot more handy than the other ones I've seen or used.
I have a hard time keeping it lined up with my rifle so that both sensors will read, for one. In dappled sunlight I get a lot of error reads, and same thing if there's snow on the ground. Takes a lot of messing with. Its just easier to strap on the Magnetospeed to get velocity data when I've found a load my rifle likes.

I use the Magno in ladder testing too.

While not super convenient, an Oehler 33 or 35 is incredible piece of equipment and can be found used at deep discounts due to the advent of Lab Radar. Most of the recommendations will definitely get the job done though.

I have a hard time keeping it lined up with my rifle so that both sensors will read, for one. In dappled sunlight I get a lot of error reads, and same thing if there's snow on the ground. Takes a lot of messing with. Its just easier to strap on the Magnetospeed to get velocity data when I've found a load my rifle likes.

I use the Magno in ladder testing too.

Mine doesn't seem to be as sensitive as yours is. Maybe you got a bad one or something. Every single person I've seen use a Magnetospeed was constantly fooling with it to keep or get it adjusted correctly. They all said that they liked them, though. Seemed like a big pain in the rear to me compared to what I was using. Glad that it's working out for you.

My magnetospeed definitely changes POI but I can't say it affects grouping. Admittedly my rifles don't have pencil thin barrels. When I try developing loads for my Kimber then we'll see what happens. I'd really like to have a Labradar and will likely have one soon.

My old Caldwell failed to register shots enough that I didn't trust the data.

Far out just checked the labradar and they're $1200 here. I do need one but not for almost the price of an airline ticket to the states!

Another ProChrono Digital user... It does what it needs to do. Records shot strings, which is nice for load development. I've used it for rifles, archery, and air rifles. As long as you have decent sunlight, its great! I usually have to put a 9v in it every time cause I cant remember to turn the darn thing off!

I use the magneto speed and donā€™t get any really noticeable POI changes.. I have the Caldwell one which i use mostly for my bow because I have issues with the covers blowing off due to the muzzle blast and I hate having to get a line break at the range to set it back up and interrupting the other shooters at the range

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back