Reasonably priced (<$200) boots?

I bought a pair of the Saloman Quest 4D 2 GTX last year and they feel pretty nice for my purposes. They have lots of good reviews and seem to be a notch down, price wise from the big guys. They usually go on sale during the year and at times can be found around that $150 range.
i have 2 pairs of these I wear one pair everyday for work they are 2 years old and still great shape, 1 pair is 3 years old wear them for hunting, I want a new pair of the newest model they just came out with but haven't worn these 2 pairs out yet,

I have owned many many pairs of boots 100-500 a pair, so far these are the best for me, no blisters ever, cant sa that about any of the custom boots I have had built,

I just wish the goretex worked better only complaint,

Take a look at Meindel boots from cabela's. They'll run closer to $300 but will last you a very long time if you're only hunting out west a week or two a year. Another option is Shoebuy.com. They occaisionally offer 30% off and carry Lowa and Zamberlan.

I sort of agree with this but avoid the Meindl Ultralights at $200. They feel great in the store, but mine fell apart on me in less than one season. Worse, they have horrible traction on hills in mud and snow. Meindl Perfekts and Denalis are another matter but cost another Benjamin. In my opinion, they are well worth it.

Meindl Denalis have an 8 week back order. They get 20 pairs in to all of corporate each month. Buy now, might have them for archery season.

My wife and I used Asolo and Vasque boots in that range for years and they work OK. Then we both got Lowa Tibets ($360) and they are so much better, especially for carrying loads, and they last twice as long. Whatever you get, don't count on the Gortex providing any long term waterproofing so I recommend leather and as stiff as you can get. A soft boot won't dig in on sidehills and you will be slipping all over.

How nasty is the terrain that you are hunting? I hunt in the lava rocks and generally boots do not last. I also have had issues with so-called "waterproof" boots. I am currently using the 10" LL Bean boot. I find them to be very comfortable and my feet stay dry walking through wet grass. I wore out the soles and replaced them myself with Vibram soles glued on with barge cement. Really happy with the boots.

The sole on the Bean Boots are a soft crepe rubber that are quiet but do not have an aggressive tread pattern.

For lighter terrain and decent weather I like my Kenetrek Bridger high tops. They are light and sturdy and have given me a couple years of good use and will give me more down the road. They are a perfect antelope boot and archery elk season boot, but have held up to snow and mud and crappy weather flawlessly. I got mine for around $200.

i have 2 pairs of these I wear one pair everyday for work they are 2 years old and still great shape, 1 pair is 3 years old wear them for hunting, I want a new pair of the newest model they just came out with but haven't worn these 2 pairs out yet,

I have owned many many pairs of boots 100-500 a pair, so far these are the best for me, no blisters ever, cant sa that about any of the custom boots I have had built,

I just wish the goretex worked better only complaint,

numerous packouts with 70-100 lbs in my exo3500, 1-6 miles, and many chukar hunting trips at brownlee, and I am still happy with the quests, I had the tibets, they made me feel like my heels were lower then my toes all the time, and had blister problems on the back of my heels no matter what socks, I have 3 pairs of the meindels from cabelas , I love them been to alaska with them packing caribou and moose, but they rub blisters on my heels no matter what,,,,,, they sit on a shelve for the most part now

Already said,you get what you pay for.Also,don't wear your hunting boots like work boots or hiking boots.Wear them hunting,that's it & they will last.
Get the best you can & take care of them. They will save your ass one day.
I never had a pair of the sneaker style boots last more than one season trail hiking. None.
Had Meindels & Lowas last 10 yrs+. The Ibex started leaking after 10 yrs.
Same with the Danners I wore for 20 yrs at work & still wear. But I would never buy one of their new boots.1/2 the quality IMHO.
I am wearing some Lowa Tibets now I got new,half price.
Since there is little or no pavement here & just walking the ranch is taxing at times I have been wearing them on hikes & scouting trips too. Not work or traveling or on pavement.
Merrill tennie comfort hiking trail boots I got for daily around here are coming apart already (6 mo) & kill my achilles after a while.

All boots I've bought under $200 have failed me whole on the mountains. That's more than no bueno, that's life threatening.

Look for better boots on eBay, CL, and Facebook. They are out there. While I was looking at Kennetrek, I f0und my size on eBay for $149, 3 yrs old.

Do Not Skimp on Boots. Find a way.

The Kenetrek eBay is full of gems.

I don't own any, but my brother invested in a pair. He says that they're amazing.

I've done quite a bit of hunting in steep country using backpacking boots. My current pair is Keen brand, and I feel like you'd probably be just fine with something like that. As previous people have stated, Danners are great and I'd like to recommend Irish Setter/Redwing boots. Never have I had a pair of boots "Fail," but my feet could have probably been a lot less sore.

I think the moral of the story is this: no matter what you end up with, don't make your first trip to the mountains your first trip with your boots. Put 10-20 miles on them before considering taking them.

The $0.02 I'll throw in is try them on before you buy them! Yes, there are lots of deals to be had on the web but if you haven't had the boot on your foot then you may spend a ton of money shipping pairs back and forth until you get the size and shape right. If you can find a deal at a shop that give you free shipping there and back then it's worth it but if you have to pay shipping both ways then you may as well buy full price in town.

Same with the Danners I wore for 20 yrs at work & still wear. But I would never buy one of their new boots.1/2 the quality IMHO.

There 2 (at least) levels of Danner quality. Their Elk Hunters are pretty decent and hell for stout, but their fit may not be for everyone (minimal toe space for one.

Keep an eye on campsaver and backcountry, they had lowa tibet highs on sale for 190 in October, almost ordered a pair just for good measure.

suprizingly,ive had pretty good luck with redwing boots,,I buy em for work but there first job is hunting season first before they get messed up by work.

The $0.02 I'll throw in is try them on before you buy them! Yes, there are lots of deals to be had on the web but if you haven't had the boot on your foot then you may spend a ton of money shipping pairs back and forth until you get the size and shape right. If you can find a deal at a shop that give you free shipping there and back then it's worth it but if you have to pay shipping both ways then you may as well buy full price in town.
Yes, and these days you shouldn't have to break them in. They should be comfortable the first time you put them on.

There 2 (at least) levels of Danner quality. Their Elk Hunters are pretty decent and hell for stout, but their fit may not be for everyone (minimal toe space for one.

Was looking to send my Cascades to Portland & did some looking.Yep 2 grades,but the top end leather looked 1/2 the thickness as these. Mine are just worn out.2 pairs w 4 soles & leather is failing now in NM.NM sucks the life out of leather.
My feet have changed & the Casades are tight in toes too now.

Elk hunters have too much of Whites style for me.I wore those for years & hate them now. Heals too high for me anymore.

I see MidwayUSA has Crispi Dakota boots for $200...I don't know anything of that model but hear a lot of good things about the brand. Depending on what you do for a living you could try to buy through Experticity or Outdoor ProLink though companies rarely allow returns so you need to know what works for you.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back