PEAX Equipment

Reasonable glassing distance with 10x42s

TM0218

I was just curious as to what everyone would say is the reasonable glassing distance with 10x42s? Of course some of it will depend on environmental conditions as well as optical quality. Let's use elk for the example and wanting to be able to know that it's a branch antler bull, also glassing off a tripod. 1000yds? Thanks! I'm interested to see what everyone has to say

I have mid-levelish glass in 10x42. I can distinguish a branch antlered bull at 1,000 yards. A spike, prolly not.

way farther than that. I am not sure if I have ever measured any, but just to see if it is a branch antlered bull, it is much farther. Oh, wait, I can figure it out....hold on!

Just measured it on OnX I know exactly where I was sitting and exactly where the bull was. 1.53 miles. Unfortunately, he was smarter than I was and gave us the slip. Obviously, I couldnt get details at that distance, but I could tell it was a branch antlered bull for sure.

Yea, with good environmental factors waay more than 1000yrds. 1.5-2 miles for sure, especially if you can sit and watch them, sometimes you need them to walk through an opening or for him to just turn his head.

Not that this is a particularly great picture capturing the bulls rack, but here is a image that was taken just holding my phone up to a pair of 10x Els balanced on my knee. The ridge was ~2.14miles away, theres a bull under one of the trees in the middle on the lower track. That fact that he was a branch antlered bull was obvious in the moment.
CE79466C-3B5A-4E68-A618-67803FB6E401.jpeg

Last edited:
Freehanding 10x42 razors a few days ago, I was picking up spikes and raghorns at 1.8 miles into the sun, but elk were in the shade, background was snow.

This was with diamond back 10x42’s. Could I tell there was a raghorn or bigger in there, no. I could tell there was legal elk for the unit. No one ever tells you 2.5 miles as a crow flys turns into an 11 mile hike! Hahah

Attachments

• FDEC02B3-04B7-4F80-8C96-4F720BCA0745.png
    FDEC02B3-04B7-4F80-8C96-4F720BCA0745.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 45
  • 4B62AAAD-B120-4E44-B5FC-768B2838408D.jpeg
    4B62AAAD-B120-4E44-B5FC-768B2838408D.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 41
Up in CO Grand Mesa country the last of October with 10/42 Pures, I could spot crystal clear Juniper and Oak Piranha for miles.

@noharleyyet Do you have any EL's? Have you compared any of the Swaro models? Were the Pures better than EL's, or SLC 's? I probably know that answer but a drastic difference??

@noharleyyet Do you have any EL's? Have you compared any of the Swaro models? Were the Pures better than EL's, or SLC 's? I probably know that answer but a drastic difference??
I have 10x42 EL’s and I personally feel the Pures are a little better. They’re a lot more comfortable to hold too in my opinion.

I have 10x42 EL’s and I personally feel the Pures are a little better. They’re a lot more comfortable to hold too in my opinion.

Thanks, @MaddH, I have a pair of the EL 10x42's and they are amazing, but just wondering if I have to / need to make the jump up to the 10x42 Pures

So back to the distance question. I bought a pair of pures, they are quite extraordinary.
I can easily distinguish a good bull or from a rag horn a very long way away in good light. If the elk is standing still I can also judge a Colorado rag horn to have that five inch fifth point at about 400 at the end of the day. Here in Oregon I hunt a spike only unit, lotta of fork horns. The point only needs to be long enough to hang a ring on it. In good light at 350 I could see one clean spike while the other side was forked. That makes him legal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back