Caribou Gear Tarp

Re-Barreling Project

Brian in Montana

I have a Remington 700 stainless long action receiver and I've done a good bit of research and consideration of what to screw into it for my next project. I'm leaning toward Preferred Barrels taperless design with hexagon fluting (just think it looks sort of cool). I'm going back and forth between a 30-06, -06 AI, or possibly a 338-06. I kind of hate to say it, but I'm finding my interest lagging a bit, not because of the project itself, but because of the question: what am I going to shoot in it. The ammo/component shortage actually seems to be getting worse.

Found myself considering 338-06 a little more lately just because there seems to be nothing on the shelves in .30 cal anymore. I dunno, I'm probably going to go ahead with a standard 30-06 and go from there. I've never owned an -06, always been more of a .308 / .270 guy. I'm not interested in another magnum, but I figure if I can push a 180gn TBT or Accubond with a MV of 2700fps or a little more, I'd be pretty happy with that.

I think the shortage is starting to work my nerves a little. Winter is when I historically try different bullet/powder combinations but I'm finding myself rationing the stuff I tend to use a lot, H4831, H4895, Varget.

figure if I can push a 180gn TBT or Accubond with a MV of 2700fps or a little more, I'd be pretty happy with that.
A 300 sherman will push a 180 accubond at 3100fps. It’s virtually no different than FF a 30-06ai. Just use 270, 280, 280ai brass and jam it into the lands. Do 100 for barrel break in and your set for quite a while.

I’m biased as I rebarreled to a .338-06 and I still have a .30-06 too. Personally, I’m a big fan of the .30-06, but if you already have a .308, I’d step over the .30-06 and look towards the .338-06,or even the 8mm-06 if you want to be really different. I think the performance gain over the .30-06 is worth it. I’ve been having lots of fun with both the 185gr and 210gr TTSX.

Seems I can find .338 cal bullets here and there, but no brass. Even if I could come into some -06 brass, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be trying to re-size it to .338 or 8mm. I've recently fire-formed about 150 .280 Rem casings to .280AI, but a little different. I know people do it, but it seems that would weaken the case neck quite a bit.

I’ve only got two reloads so far in the original 100cases I resized from some cheap once-fired RP .30-06 brass but it was easy forming them. Just lubed the case as normal, as well as the inside the case mouth, and ran them through a .338-06 FL-sizing die (tapered decapping stem). Trimmed them all to the same length which ends up a little shorter than book spec. I haven’t lost any to splitting or cracking yet, but like I said it’s still early in the case life of these, but I’ve been happy with the results so far.

Seems I can find .338 cal bullets here and there, but no brass. Even if I could come into some -06 brass, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be trying to re-size it to .338 or 8mm. I've recently fire-formed about 150 .280 Rem casings to .280AI, but a little different. I know people do it, but it seems that would weaken the case neck quite a bit.
Resize is a 1 step process and is straightforward. I don’t have any properly headstamped 358 win or 35 whelen brass. It all came from the parent cases. Lube well, inside and out, and go for it. I lose maybe 2 cases per 100

Anneal the case & use the proper expander and you'd be totally fine moving up from .308 to .323 or .338.

I don't judge you at all for being wary about component shortages, but I personally would not go to the trouble of building a rifle around those constraints. A couple years down the road I think you'd be happiest with a rifle that you like because of what it is and does. Completely my opinion.

The 338-06 is a piece of cake to resize from 06 brass. I too am a 308 and 270 guy and when I decided it was time to rebore my 270 barrel, the 338-06 was the natural next step up. It is still fun to shoot and the Barnes TSX 185's and 210's have been the ticket. IMR4064, Varget and IMR 4451 have kept those bullets inside MOA. Just bought a couple of boxes of Barnes 210 grain last week. When I first got the barrel rebored, Steve at Hammer Bullets recommended the 186 grain or 205 grain Shock Hammers for 338-06 velocities.

Last edited:
I'd head over to midwayusa.com and buy a couple hundred pieces of Lapua brass in 30-06 (in stock). If you want bigger than .308" I second the notion of the 9.3X62 (brass also in stock).

I find the 30-06 and 338-06 too similar and am more interested in the .30 bullets than 338 for that case size. And I have a 338 Win Mag, so that's saying something.

The two common calibers I have seen in available reloading bullets are 270 and 338. I have bought .308" bullets recently (Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Barnes). The big problem is finding specific bullets at normal prices (Accubond 180 grain, etc.). Some of the less expensive brands of brass seem to have disappeared from earth, but occasionally Hornady brass shows up briefly.

It may be a while but this will pass,

I have a Remington 700 stainless long action receiver and I've done a good bit of research and consideration of what to screw into it for my next project. I'm leaning toward Preferred Barrels taperless design with hexagon fluting (just think it looks sort of cool). I'm going back and forth between a 30-06, -06 AI, or possibly a 338-06. I kind of hate to say it, but I'm finding my interest lagging a bit, not because of the project itself, but because of the question: what am I going to shoot in it. The ammo/component shortage actually seems to be getting worse.
Just send it over to me and I’ll build something and report back 😁

looking forward to what you choose! I’m a big 30-06 fan 🙂

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back