MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Re-Barreling Project

I’ve always been intrigued by the 338-06 and 35 Whelen. But I can’t justify it in my mind when I look at what the 30-06 with a 180 or 200gr Accubond can do. That’s strictly personal preference, but I don’t know if they will kill anything more dead than a 30-06, especially for what I hunt.

And I’ve seen a whole bunch of 30-06 brass available lately

There's a bunch of 308 bullets on GB. Some are even reasonable. This will eventually pass. A lot more variety in 308 than others.

Last edited:
The two common calibers I have seen in available reloading bullets are 270 and 338. I have bought .308" bullets recently (Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Barnes). The big problem is finding specific bullets at normal prices (Accubond 180 grain, etc.). Some of the less expensive brands of brass seem to have disappeared from earth, but occasionally Hornady brass shows up briefly.

It may be a while but this will pass,
We have a large supply of 308 bullets. The only thing that is bare is anything creedmoor related.

30-06 cut with a Serengeti reamer and some hammer bullet would be fun!

There is a 22-06 for sale at a not unreasonable price on AS.
Sounds interesting.
But barrel life can't be very long.

I'm suddenly in the market for a new barrel as well. My 220 swift started throwing flyers and as much as I hated to do it I scoped it. Fire cracking and missing chunks of lands at the throat. I always figured when it was time I would play with a different caliber but I have several hundred pieces of good brass and bullets for the 220 so I'm torn. If it was 2 years ago I'd give the components away and start anew. With the crazy shortages now I figure going back with the same barrel is more reasonable.

I'm suddenly in the market for a new barrel as well. My 220 swift started throwing flyers and as much as I hated to do it I scoped it. Fire cracking and missing chunks of lands at the throat. I always figured when it was time I would play with a different caliber but I have several hundred pieces of good brass and bullets for the 220 so I'm torn. If it was 2 years ago I'd give the components away and start anew. With the crazy shortages now I figure going back with the same barrel is more reasonable.
I'd consider a faster twist than most 220 factory barrels come with. A Swift with a 8" barrel makes for a whole lot of interesting bullet choices...

I went ahead and ordered it in 30-06 AI - 22" stainless barrel with hex fluting. To me that just looks like an all-around fun chambering to shoot, handload, and hunt with. Its going to be a while before it arrives, so maybe the components will recover a little in the meantime. It'll be significantly lighter than my 280 AI, so I'm going to see if it will fill the position of general purpose big game shooter that I don't mind carrying 10 miles in the mountains. Presently that would be my T3X in .308, which is light weight, super accurate, and has killed everything out there at one time or another. The competition will be stiff, but I can't just settle on one thing for very long.

There is nothing wrong with the 30.06. I own two M-1 Grands (one in 30.06 and one in 308 (Sec Nav Trophy rifle)). I'm gathering parts for my next rifle and looking at building a lightweight 284 Norma off of a Remington LA. I own a lathe and mill so I do my own work except for barrel contouring and one piece bolt from PT&G. Looking at either a Proof Research .284 in 1-8.5 twist 24 inches long or a Bartlein carbon fiber in the same with a sendro contour.

I went ahead and ordered it in 30-06 AI - 22" stainless barrel with hex fluting. To me that just looks like an all-around fun chambering to shoot, handload, and hunt with. Its going to be a while before it arrives, so maybe the components will recover a little in the meantime. It'll be significantly lighter than my 280 AI, so I'm going to see if it will fill the position of general purpose big game shooter that I don't mind carrying 10 miles in the mountains. Presently that would be my T3X in .308, which is light weight, super accurate, and has killed everything out there at one time or another. The competition will be stiff, but I can't just settle on one thing for very long.
I think you made a good choice. With Hammer bullets, you should be able to get close to 300WM velocities.

Nosler load data for it is on the conservative side when you get to that part. It really needs to be updated with modern powders. My order of powders for it would start N555, H4350, RL16 all worked really in my sherman with 180g bullets. The Sherman is only 2 grains or so more so the load data should be about the same minus 2 grains. RL26 won’t work well till you get to 200g bullets.

Use your 280 brass you already have to FF. That way you get the correct neck length afterwards.

Looking forward to seeing this shoot. PM me if you need any load data on those powders.

Hard to argue with a .30 cal anything cartridge, much less a 30-06. Best part is that the AI can fire both AI and standard 06 rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back