Rapidly nearing hunt season and the correlation of home projects...you guys know the drill

cancel hunting to do a home project?

Does not compute.
I know, right? I’m stubborn and my own worst enemy. My wife and I had 10 hours on the road together last week and I finally let her convince me to pay a contractor to put a fence in so I can hunt on the weekends in October.

I got the front deck finished last week
EC547FBA-69DB-44FB-8C79-3D4E1CC2F75C.jpeg

I’m not 100% happy with the back deck, so it’s getting 1 more coat. Playset in the background was project #1 this spring: level the ground, build, and stain.
34253302-AA33-4BB1-8468-BB78765C60E1.jpeg

I’m headed to urgent care today for poison ivy treatment. Managed to get it on the inside of my eyelids when hanging deer stands, oops.
AAF94DF8-9DD2-4C90-9902-D64D07BF21A1.jpeg

Archery deer and turkey opens 10/1!

People actually live like this?

Always believed in the “be a good husband all year long and do what needs doing and damn well hunt when hunting season rolls around with no guilt or obligation.”.

If you are pulling your weight all year long, why would your spouse be able to or even want to guilt you into last minute stress to do some projects right away that can wait.

Dunno, but hunting is not something a person should have to apologize for nor beg a hall pass for….
Yes, absolutely! To elaborate on this posture, strive to outserve your spouse all year long. Double down just before hunting season so she moves from "have a great time" to "I can't wait to see what you bag this year!"

The difference is your spouse was okay with you leaving because you take care of stuff regularly. Now, she becomes your best cheerleader.

Had the rig all loaded and two weeks off. Mrs got home from visiting Miss T in Oregon at 11:30 PM last night. She said the kitchen floor came out so good, did I have enough left to do the hall bath? Demoing today dreaming of bugling bulls....

Appreciate she brought me fudge from her trip, but that wasn't the Attaboy I was hoping for.

Doc put me on prednisone for the poison ivy - worked great for the rash but also makes me hyperactive and goofy. I slept about 2 hrs last night and I’m still bright-eyed and bushy tailed now after 11 PM. Used that to my advantage today - repaired some spots in the lawn, fixed the front door, fixed the fascia, put another coat of stain on the deck, made a braised squirrel and roast elk feast for supper, called 3 fence companies for estimates, and even made a DIY drum for homeschool with my daughter. All 3 kids have been beating on that thing driving my wife and our cats crazy.
AB9DC7DE-36E7-44F7-AB89-FF87BC61F35C.jpeg
image.jpg

Just need to overseed the grass that died during the summer drought and my projects are DONE until February!

I was bored and didn’t have enough to do. So, we bought my youngest a used Rav4 and I’ll likely take a half day or so next week to run through a few maintenance items.

New plugs, PCV, valve cover gasket, oil change, and check the transmission fluid. If it’s bad I’ll dump it too.

And, I’ll have a back yard after three years without one.

I tore up the carpet my kids have been beating the hell out of for a combined 18 years and refinished the red oak that was under it at the end of July with a friend of mine. Secured the trip to Idaho to see @Sawtooth and a couple long weekends of duck hunting early this year. Feels good.
20220721_230427.jpg20220725_115040.jpg20220727_132759.jpg20220806_124742.jpg

Our house is the project, 2390 sq ft, poured the foundation In june, 4 months in a 5th wheel with 4 kids and a golden retriever. Just hung 9000 board feet of drywall with my 16 and 12 year old daughters, 5/8” lids. View attachment 239340

Beatle kill pine porch soffit

View attachment 239343

Texturing this week, cabinets and siding come next week, first year since I was 12 that I haven’t hunted birds sep 1, bows been in storage, Yesterday a bull was bugling up behind the house, wife says to me you should take next week off and go hunt. It’s tempting.
Love the beetle kill soffit!

I have a hog in a freezer waiting to be picked up.
Have 5 posts to raise on bases and get started non my porches.
1st I have a lot of firewood to cut and get to the pile here.

We’re closing in like a whirling dervish.

Grass…and a second coat of paint

24E16793-7BA0-4C2C-A071-A545F2449CB4.jpegCD9B4FE8-0367-4875-B27C-73BAA54B40CD.jpeg

The Rav4 had a new valve cover gasket, plugs, air filter, oil change, fresh transmission fluid and a new filter. The transmission pan broke free a little easier than anticipated, requiring an emergency appliqué of kitty litter.

Finn and I are booked on Wednesday and Thursday…

0270AABC-051F-4452-877F-F3F31F66A914.jpeg

I tore up the carpet my kids have been beating the hell out of for a combined 18 years and refinished the red oak that was under it at the end of July with a friend of mine. Secured the trip to Idaho to see @Sawtooth and a couple long weekends of duck hunting early this year. Feels good.
View attachment 240871View attachment 240873View attachment 240874View attachment 240875
That looks great. That’s the last major project in this multi year remodel for us.

Well you know your going to be OK when the ex tells you to take it easy for a while...and sends you a box of new towels. Our old ones that are like new...LOL.
Pretty easy to take a week off and watch it rain and be happy I am not driving around in this mess.
Rio has new towels now too. Mud mutt.

That looks great. That’s the last major project in this multi year remodel for us.
Thanks, I think it turned out pretty slick too. Buddy of mine learned working for his dad then spent about 30 years doing it himself, most of the credit belongs to him. He buttoned up his business last year but kept all his equipment. Good to know that if the tool and die industry keels over dead I'll have a bright future running an edger and hating life.

Good luck with your floors. I'll be keeping an eye out for pictures.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back