Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Randy's Bugle editorial

Dave N

Just got my new Bugle issue today. Looking through the table of contents I saw Randy's article and went directly there. Well written piece about resident vs. non-resident tag fees. I'll give the big guy credit, it sure does make people argue about what THEY have to pay but we never think about what others do for the same privilege. It takes some intestinal fortitude to put it in writing and take a stand like that. I am also one of those that passed on a hunt because of tag fees. I personally would not mind a GRADUAL increase over time for my resident tag fees to keep things funded. Waiting until things are almost gone, then jacking prices by a huge amount to cover things would be a blow to many people. A little bit here and there seems to go almost unnoticed. It was very interesting to see the numbers Randy put up on the price ratio per state for tag fees. And that was just for elk! I would like to see that done for other big game just to see what's what between the states. Maybe that would become a way for hunters to decide which state gives them the most "bang for their buck" so to speak and they would apply for those "better" states before others. After time, maybe someone would notice and adjust things accordingly. Doubt it, but it's worth thinking about. Thanks Randy for speaking up on the subject like you did.

Thanks Dave. By far the most appreciative comment I have heard today.

I think I might need police protection after this one gets in the hands of most the western residents, probably by tomorrow.

Also got the mag today and read the article. What you mentioned is spot on and the disparity between Res. and NR tags on all species in Wyoming where I hunt every year is downright ridiculous. BuzzH and I have been saying for a long time just like you mentioned that it's time for residents to suck it up and start paying the freight instead of relying on the NRs to subsidize their G&F Department. This year the Legislature didn't even pass the Bill asking for a small increase in resident licenses and SFW was one of the big players in lobbying the Legislators to nix ANY price increases. The result is cuts exactly like you mentioned in your well written piece and it will get worse before the next possible increase can happen in 2015!

I agree it's time for Montana residents to step up and adequately fund Montana FWP and the wildlife management, hunting, and access programs we continually crow about.

Haven't gotten my copy yet, but I've been looking forward to this article since Randy mentioned it a while back.

There will be an interim study being done to see what possibilities could come out of restructuring resident license fees, increases, ect. This bill (HB609) was sponsored by my representative, (R) Pat Connell. The opposition came from his own party, many of whom we have deal with each session attacking sportsman.

There was only $1000 allocated to fund this bill so cost wasn't a reason to fight this bill. Wonder what their reasoning was at the time?

Got my first issue yesterday after re-upping my membership after many years. Read the article and Randy is spot on.
WD

There will be an interim study being done to see what possibilities could come out of restructuring resident license fees, increases, ect. This bill (HB609) was sponsored by my representative, (R) Pat Connell. The opposition came from his own party, many of whom we have deal with each session attacking sportsman.

There was only $1000 allocated to fund this bill so cost wasn't a reason to fight this bill. Wonder what their reasoning was at the time?

Also, Governor Bullock has asked FWP to do the same thing with a stakeholder taskforce. The application is open until today, IIRC. I think that effort would bear more fruit than having John Brenden as chair of EQC decide what's working and what's not.

Great article. It's amazing people drop 100's for other discretionary recreational interests and complain when tags go up a few bucks. Combine this with "damn out of stater" mentality and those poor people get pegged. We love them buying gas, groceries and hotels we just don't want them killing our critters.

Randy, will the RMEF be posting this to their website? I'd live to see it there so I could link to it as well as a FB post from them.

I am not sure they do that. I have never asked. I will get a PDF copy in the next week, which I can post here, if that is helpful.

I know the article was about elk tags only due to being the RMEF magazine but is there any chance a chart like that could come up with deer and such? Mainly the critters that are spread fairly wide and not limited to just a few states like moose and sheep are. That would be pretty interesting. Seeing just how "fair" some states are could lead me to steer away from some and frequent the ones that don't gouge NRs.

AZGFD has proposed raising tag fees on both res and non res for elk and deer. not sure about other species. deer would go from $34.75 to$45 for res and from $225.25 to $300 for non res. elk would go to from $114 to $135 for res and from $587.50 to $650 for non res. I think the last time the res tags were increased was 2007, not sure however. its not very drastic but I cant speak for the non res.

My problem with the proposed price increases here in AZ is that they want to raise the app fee from $7.50 to $13. Seriously, guys? 13? Don't they realize that we need all the luck we can get? :D

Thanks for the great article in bugle. It is easy for some people to talk about these matters but to put it to pen in a national hunting magazine is another . I know you will get a lot of guff from some residents but I believe most residents will agree that it is time to step up and put their money where it needs to go. People like you in the RMEF is why I signed myself and my 8 and 6 year olds up for life memberships this last fall. Even though the REMF put a disclaimer on your article that these are your opinions and not necessarily theirs. Thank you for your common sence approach I think this is also why your oyoa program is also successful . Keep up the good work

It was a good article with sound points. It is not easy voicing an unpopular opinion to the masses. With that said, when does mt seriously discuss programs like "earn a buck" or "a" tags every other year. Lots of people still shooting raghorns/forkies every year just so they can say they shot one, then skull cap it and throw it in the rafters. Bone sells and we need to do a better job of protecting that. Not belittling those that shoot immature animals, asking why some will so often. And don't tell me it's for the meat. This is probably a new thread discussion. And before I get lit up for making it all about horn, that is not what I'm saying. Im talking about proper cow/doe management and age structure.

This was an excellent article. As a non-resident hunter for 90% of my hunting, I like to go where I feel welcome and where I have the sense that the residents and NRs are pulling in the same direction.

Does anybody have a link they can post up? I'd love to read the article.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back