Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Randy Newberg on Matt Rinella's Podcast

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
For those who have read the threads here on Hunt Talk, or on other hunting media platforms, you know that over the last couple years Matt Rinella has taken on issues related to hunting media. I find Matt's efforts to be helpful. His comments gave me cause to examine how we use Instagram.

Some might wonder how I can find Matt's work helpful to hunting, when I am in the group outdoor media content producers, the group for whom Matt has some of his sharpest criticism. That is an easy one for me - If one cannot handle critique and self-examination, then one should probably find a new gig. You've read my encouragement of his efforts here, and elsewhere on my platforms, where I welcome the examination of hunting media that Matt is pushing.

I appreciate Matt for having me on his podcast. I have not had a chance to listen to the final product, but he told me that the episode was the entire conversation as it happened, so hopefully I didn't say anything too stupid that evening.

Here is the link - https://podcasts.bcast.fm/e/l8qrr27n-randy-newberg

I hope you subscribe to his podcast. Regardless of how he feels about what we do with our platforms or how I see his approach, he is trying to make a difference that he feels is worth his time. I do the podcast gig, so I understand the significant amount of time Matt is investing. We need different voices and different perspectives, and people who are willing to do something about what they see as a concern (beyond complaining on hunting social media platforms). Matt is doing that and has my respect.

I hope Matt continues his efforts. He and I might disagree on each other's solutions, maybe even have different ideas on the priority of the problems facing hunting, but I doubt either of us question the commitment the other has for a better future for hunting, access, conservation, and public lands.

Being able to listen to criticism, dissent, and opposing views with an open mind is lacking in this country today. I appreciate your perspective on this, and your desire to learn and grow, rather than creating an echo chamber for all of us to agree with each other on.

I have an equal appreciation for the podcast “Your Mountain”, as the hosts search for common ground, rather than partisan knee-jerk positions

It’s refreshing to hear others’ ideas, I enjoy debate and compromise

Thanks for this post

*also, subscribed

Last edited:
I listened to his podcast on Meateater and (in my respectful opinion) he came across a bit as sour grapes. I get that his secret garden is now being advertised on billboards and has turned many landscapes from barren to overrun. However, that cannot be blamed on hunting influencers - the blame lies with state entities making a cash grab and letting in too many hunters. If it wasn't Rinella or Randy, it would be the 1,000 other guys out there seizing the opportunity to broadcast what they love.

I just think his anger should be directed at local governments allowing so many hunters in, not the tag fillers with production crews (no offense Randy - I truly love your content and emphasis on societal responsibility with regard to legislation/conservation).

One thing I wish Matt would have pushed Randy on was congregating hunters to areas in the west. Essentially breaking the systems and limiting tags ending exactly what he is pushing. Hits home when Matt talks about the hunters that mind their own business. We didn’t want this BS. Good on Randy for doing the podcast. He would be a great politician.

I listened to his podcast on Meateater and (in my respectful opinion) he came across a bit as sour grapes. I get that his secret garden is now being advertised on billboards and has turned many landscapes from barren to overrun. However, that cannot be blamed on hunting influencers - the blame lies with state entities making a cash grab and letting in too many hunters. If it wasn't Rinella or Randy, it would be the 1,000 other guys out there seizing the opportunity to broadcast what they love.

I just think his anger should be directed at local governments allowing so many hunters in, not the tag fillers with production crews (no offense Randy - I truly love your content and emphasis on societal responsibility with regard to legislation/conservation).
They sped up the rush, but I concur it would have come regardless. A quality hunting experience E of the Mississippi can cost about x2 times as much as in the West. People shop around and look for value. A lease can run $2000-$3000 a year, or you can drop $1500 for a tag + gas for a public land playground. The cost of Western hunting has quite a ways to catch up before it deters NR’s from flooding in from their home states where east access has all but vanished over the last 20 years.

They sped up the rush, but I concur it would have come regardless. A quality hunting experience E of the Mississippi can cost about x2 times as much as in the West. People shop around and look for value. A lease can run $2000-$3000 a year, or you can drop $1500 for a tag + gas for a public land playground. The cost of Western hunting has quite a ways to catch up before it deters NR’s from flooding in from their home states where east access has all but vanished over the last 20 years.
Still waiting to see the benefit of wildlife from this. That is the point right?

Still waiting to see the benefit of wildlife from this. That is the point right?
There are obvious benefits to the promotion, but it comes at a cost. It’s far from clear if the benefits have outweighed that cost. Mathew N. has repeatedly claimed that it’s worth it. Randy has been a been a demure, saying he believes it’s worth it. Matt R. is firmly in the 100% sure the promotion is/has been bad column.

It’s a bit of a logical fallacy to say that the over-promotion is irrelevant because over-saturation was inevitable. The faster that western state populations increase and state wildlife agencies are unwilling/unable to restrict over-pressuring a resource, the more wildlife is going to suffer.

A very limited resource has been greatly over-promoted. Even if every newbie (such as myself) is on board with growing the pie, it’s still a slow, gradual process to accomplish that.

In the meantime draw odds have tanked, OTC opportunities are drying up, big money is carving away more of the resources for outfitters and related parties, and hunting cost inflation is high, especially for NR’s.

While I wrote a facetious comment earlier, seriously, hunting is just about 20-30 years behind blue ribbon trout fishing in Montana.

I have written before about the Governor's council to address overcrowding on rivers. Lots of talk, lots of good ideas, totally overwhelmed by the outfitter's lobby.
And things are 20x worse today than then.

Count the number of boats on the Madison, Missouri, and Bighorn with Outfitter tags vs local folks.

There's only so many miles of river, and only so many public land deer/elk.

Ranches you could pretty readily gain access to a couple decades ago are now leased to outfitters. And, can't really blame the ranchers. Look at their costs with diesel, etc.

Again, to likely somewhat misquote Abbey, "Deaf to thunderstorms in the mountains, but able to hear a dollar bill drop on hotel carpet,".

@ElkFever2 I guess I am yet to have seen any benefit to promotion and bringing more people to the table. I have not seen habitat improve, wildlife numbers improve, access improve, quality of hunt improve, or literally anything. I’ve seen quite the opposite. It would be easier to buy into Randy’s philosophy if I had seen something, anything improve. I simply haven’t, only the opposite.

@ElkFever2 I guess I am yet to have seen any benefit to promotion and bringing more people to the table. I have not seen habitat improve, wildlife numbers improve, access improve, quality of hunt improve, or literally anything. I’ve seen quite the opposite. It would be easier to buy into Randy’s philosophy if I had seen something, anything improve. I simply haven’t, only the opposite.
Fair enough. I see new recruits writing and calling legislators and wildlife committee members, coming to the defense of the Elk Mountain hunters, joining conservation organizations, being more educated about issues affecting public land, access, and natural resources, and then engaging with others within their circles of influence. It is not just the old guard carrying the torch. There are plenty of folks in their 20’s and 30’s knee-deep in advocating for wild places and wildlife. We need this level of advocacy and more to preserve our wildlife heritage for generations to come.

I’m very concerned about the “board up the windows” approach by some western state residents. Blame gets tossed around to NR’s, influencers, etc.

Public land and public trust wildlife are national treasures for us all. I think the best approach in preserving their legacy is to broaden the base of advocates across NC’s, persons moving to western states, NR hunters, etc.

Social media influencers can be a great source of good towards building that base, and they also have a great capacity for harm by attracting droves of new hunters who don’t care about advocacy. It’s like the worst open secret that the latter group has exploded through the glorification of select, popular aspects of the hunting experience, and commercial product and service promotion.

One thing I wish Matt would have pushed Randy on was congregating hunters to areas in the west. Essentially breaking the systems and limiting tags ending exactly what he is pushing. Hits home when Matt talks about the hunters that mind their own business. We didn’t want this BS. Good on Randy for doing the podcast. He would be a great politician.
I would agree Randy would be a great politician. Not sure that’s a compliment though.

I do have to say this site does keep me informed on changes to management and legislation that is being pushed through. A lot of which I never paid attention to, so that I would see as a good.

It wasn’t a compliment.
I know. In my business I deal with a lot of bankers and such that put on this “awe shucks I’m just a guy that grew up in a small town” schtick. My takeaway from the podcast is that Randy says what his intentions are but there is no reflection on if what he is doing is actually helping his stated cause. 10 plus years later I honestly don’t think he could say with a straight face it is. I would advise him that if his purpose is 100% what he says it is he should reorganize as a NONprofit and enjoy the preferences that would grant his organization.

I do have to say this site does keep me informed on changes to management and legislation that is being pushed through. A lot of which I never paid attention to, so that I would see as a good.
Which you would probably be uninformed of and not engaged with if not for social media and this platform…

Back