PEAX Equipment

Randy Newberg EBS

I used to split the sternum to get to the esophagus and windpipe, but I've done it enough now that I just cut the diaphragm away, grab the esophagus and windpipe with one hand and cut them loose with the other. I guess that I was just afraid to get my knife too close to my other hand. The sternum isn't bone, though, it's cartilage and supposedly can be cut with a knife. I've always found it to be too hard and difficult to cut, so I have carried a Havalon Barracuta with a bone saw blade, and it works quite well for the sternum. Gerber should consider, not only, the gut hook and filet blade, but a bone saw blade to go with the EBS. You'd have almost a complete butchering system that way.

Illinois law allows you to quarter the carcass, but you still must bring the entire animal out, unless it has been checked in. This goes back to the days when you had to take the deer to a check in station. There are no more check in stations. I check mine in on my phone before I even move it. The law is antiquated and needs to be changed. Not likely.

I've had to cut one in half once it was so heavy! No help was available, and it died down at the bottom of a deep deep hole (of course). I was still in half-way decent shape but when I grabbed an antler and pulled it never budged. The online check in isn't bad, measuring the bases and eye length is something I normally forget about until AFTER I get it hung and go in the house! :rolleyes:

I've had to cut one in half once it was so heavy! No help was available, and it died down at the bottom of a deep deep hole (of course). I was still in half-way decent shape but when I grabbed an antler and pulled it never budged. The online check in isn't bad, measuring the bases and eye length is something I normally forget about until AFTER I get it hung and go in the house! :rolleyes:
I had one like that once. He ran up a bank, fell backwards into a gully and lay head down in the gully. I walked right by him the first time. Fortunately for me, he ran towards the trail and we were able to tie a rope to him and pull him out.

Insert knife where breast bone meets bottom of throat/neck (I bleed them by inserting knife and push abdomen up against diaphragm to encourage blood flow) cut skin up towards the jaw, expose windpipe, rear of windpipe is the food tube.
Cheers and happy new year having trouble typing 25 minutes into 2021 and drunk too much!
Cheers
Richarddddddd
Now I understand, thanks! You're still cutting across (rather than just towards the head) to cut the windpipe so you're able to pull it through, right?

I used to split the sternum to get to the esophagus and windpipe, but I've done it enough now that I just cut the diaphragm away, grab the esophagus and windpipe with one hand and cut them loose with the other. I guess that I was just afraid to get my knife too close to my other hand. The sternum isn't bone, though, it's cartilage and supposedly can be cut with a knife. I've always found it to be too hard and difficult to cut, so I have carried a Havalon Barracuta with a bone saw blade, and it works quite well for the sternum. Gerber should consider, not only, the gut hook and filet blade, but a bone saw blade to go with the EBS. You'd have almost a complete butchering system that way.

Illinois law allows you to quarter the carcass, but you still must bring the entire animal out, unless it has been checked in. This goes back to the days when you had to take the deer to a check in station. There are no more check in stations. I check mine in on my phone before I even move it. The law is antiquated and needs to be changed. Not likely.
It seemed to me there isn't enough room in a deer to get my hands in there like that to be able to cut the esophagus w/o splitting the sternum (maybe it's b/c I have huge hands??). Yes, I've cut through many sternums with my Cutco knife with a Double-D edge. This is the first time I've experienced issues w/ trying to use a serrated blade to go through the sternum. This being said, based on my experience w/ the blade popping off, I don't think a bone saw would work. The blade itself was cutting through the sternum just fine before the blade popped off the handle. I do agree about the gut hook blade though!!

As for the "leaving it whole until it's checked in" part, I wonder if I check it in while in the field, can I then do the gutless method as it's already been checked in??

Sounds similar to my first deer who decided to go into a trench and die in a creek. Pulling that thing out was a royal PITA!!!

Hi just to add. Once you find the windpipe before you cut it pull on it up out of the chest and run your fingers down it into the chest. This frees a lot of the sinew off. Then cut through windpipe horizontally this will take you straight to the gullet. I tie it twice with jute thread as it ties tight snd I don’t like leaving plastic cable ties in the gut pile. Cut through the gullet then open the gut cavity cut up through the diaphragm and put your hand up until you feel the windpipe. Grab this and pull, the whole lot comes out with the pluck and then you cut through the back of the diaphragm on the spine and it all comes away in one piece. No need to cut the breast bone.
hope this makes sense.

Not really :ROFLMAO:

I got one late this afternoon, but too dark for photo's to explain it as we do it, it did cross my mind, when Big Ears can hunt with me again we will take some photo's
Cheers
Richard
I saw it done firsthand! It was different watching the process, but made sense when done. NOT something you would do if you wanted to do a shoulder mount!

Hi just to add. Once you find the windpipe before you cut it pull on it up out of the chest and run your fingers down it into the chest. This frees a lot of the sinew off. Then cut through windpipe horizontally this will take you straight to the gullet. I tie it twice with jute thread as it ties tight snd I don’t like leaving plastic cable ties in the gut pile. Cut through the gullet then open the gut cavity cut up through the diaphragm and put your hand up until you feel the windpipe. Grab this and pull, the whole lot comes out with the pluck and then you cut through the back of the diaphragm on the spine and it all comes away in one piece. No need to cut the breast bone.
hope this makes sense.
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the education!!!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back