Randy Newberg EBS

SPDSpappy

I used my new EBS this past weekend on a big doe my daughter shot during archery season (her first deer/big game animal and it was 40 yards away -- proud dad right here!!!!). I was about halfway through the sternum with the serrated blade and the blade separated from the handle while cutting. Has anybody else run into this issue? I opened a ticket with Gerber... I know Randy and the Gerber folks put a ton of time into the design of this system and I'm sure it's just a fluke.Sydney's Doe 20201226.jpg

i got my ebs knife and have been very impressed so far,,sharp and knife holds edge very well,right in there with my benchmade for holding a edge,,,butchered up my 5x4 bull i got in idaho and it worked well,,cut some heavy cuts ,pushed hard and so far no issues,,i do think they need a gut hook and a long fillet blade set up for it as well ,,those would really make it a complete set up,,,

maybe fin can forward the ideas to the folks at gerber for 2021 "new items" on the gut hook blade,and a long flexible fillet blade,,6 1/2-7" or so for elk backstrap and neckmeat removal i think would be ideal,,beins most of us have to get that carved out because of the cwd rules before we travel back home.as well as a case for them.

I used my new EBS this past weekend on a big doe my daughter shot during archery season (her first deer/big game animal and it was 40 yards away -- proud dad right here!!!!). I was about halfway through the sternum with the serrated blade and the blade separated from the handle while cutting. Has anybody else run into this issue? I opened a ticket with Gerber... I know Randy and the Gerber folks put a ton of time into the design of this system and I'm sure it's just a fluke.View attachment 167907
Congrats on the successful hunt. Not really understanding your concerns on the knife. Knives are meant to cut hide, meat, tendons, not bone. If your using something for what it’s not meant for and it fails who is really at fault?

If you insist on having to split the sternum there are bone saws that make quick work of it. If you don’t want to carry one just reach up inside the cavity cut the esophagus with your knife and pull everything out. It’s way easier and makes way less of a mess.

My boy's ebs did great on a late season elk. The tendon blade is great for separating lower legs and head from spine. I used all the blades. The shorter straight edge was my favorite.

I used one of my friend's this season with no issues, like it a lot. I do see though how with the way it's designed if you had it in a tight spot the blade release could get pushed and let the blade go. I don't cut the sternum anymore usually, but I could see it happening possibly if you were using the EBS to get the tenderloins out doing gutless or something like that. Good to be aware of a pay attention to when using in tight spaces, thanks for sharing your experience.

I used it to quarter up two bulls and a cow this year. It needs to be sharped now but no issues. Good knife to have in the kill kit.

If you don’t want to carry one just reach up inside the cavity cut the esophagus with your knife and pull everything out. It’s way easier and makes way less of a mess.
I do it slightly differently, expose wind pipe in the throat, rear of the pipe is the oesophagus, separate the 2, carefully scrape away the flesh from the oesophagus (at this point a small plastic cable tie can be used but that is starting to be frowned upon as its plastic) cut and tie a knot then it can be pulled back into the body so no green gut contents can contaminate the inside.
Cheers
Richard

Congrats on the successful hunt. Not really understanding your concerns on the knife. Knives are meant to cut hide, meat, tendons, not bone. If your using something for what it’s not meant for and it fails who is really at fault?

If you insist on having to split the sternum there are bone saws that make quick work of it. If you don’t want to carry one just reach up inside the cavity cut the esophagus with your knife and pull everything out. It’s way easier and makes way less of a mess.
I do have a Gerber bone saw, but use it for other things. I have used my Cutco knife with Double-D edge for this process for years without issue and it’s how I was taught by a fellow hunter (I’m an adult onset hunter). I could see your point if I was trying to cut through the pelvis with it, but I don’t believe a sternum is the same hardness.

I used one of my friend's this season with no issues, like it a lot. I do see though how with the way it's designed if you had it in a tight spot the blade release could get pushed and let the blade go. I don't cut the sternum anymore usually, but I could see it happening possibly if you were using the EBS to get the tenderloins out doing gutless or something like that. Good to be aware of a pay attention to when using in tight spaces, thanks for sharing your experience.
Unfortunately, in the communist state of IL where I live, one has to take the whole deer field dressed out of the field, so no quartering it out via gutless method for me... :(

maybe fin can forward the ideas to the folks at gerber for 2021 "new items" on the gut hook blade,and a long flexible fillet blade,,6 1/2-7" or so for elk backstrap and neckmeat removal i think would be ideal,,beins most of us have to get that carved out because of the cwd rules before we travel back home.as well as a case for them.
I agree about the gut hook blade!!!

I do it slightly differently, expose wind pipe in the throat, rear of the pipe is the oesophagus, separate the 2, carefully scrape away the flesh from the oesophagus (at this point a small plastic cable tie can be used but that is starting to be frowned upon as its plastic) cut and tie a knot then it can be pulled back into the body so no green gut contents can contaminate the inside.
Cheers
Richard
Are you saying to cut through the neck, or are you doing this from inside the body cavity? I’m not quite following.

I do have a Gerber bone saw, but use it for other things. I have used my Cutco knife with Double-D edge for this process for years without issue and it’s how I was taught by a fellow hunter (I’m an adult onset hunter). I could see your point if I was trying to cut through the pelvis with it, but I don’t believe a sternum is the same hardness.
Same hardness or not, it’s not a exchange BONE system. Lol

In all seriousness, there is no reason to split the sternum. All it does is allow more space for dirt and leaves to get into. Especially, since you have to get the deer out whole in your state.

I have done over a hundred deer and done it both ways. Getting your sleeve bloody reaching in there is way better. Even better yet is the idea of cutting it up in the throat. Taking the risk of the knife slipping and cutting the hell out of your hand when your using it to split a bone is dangerous when you are in the field.

Last edited:
Are you saying to cut through the neck, or are you doing this from inside the body cavity? I’m not quite following.
Insert knife where breast bone meets bottom of throat/neck (I bleed them by inserting knife and push abdomen up against diaphragm to encourage blood flow) cut skin up towards the jaw, expose windpipe, rear of windpipe is the food tube.
Cheers and happy new year having trouble typing 25 minutes into 2021 and drunk too much!
Cheers
Richarddddddd

Back