Ram Rebel? (Largely vs Titan Pro-4X)

cedahm

I thought I narrowed down my new (used) truck search to the Titan (dropped the Raptor from consideration as I just can’t justify it as hard as I try at the current price points even for used ones and the PowerWagon is too much for my needs).

Anyone own a Rebel that would share their experience? I’m looking at 2017-19 vintages.

I had never really heard of them as I assumed the power wagon was Dodge’s off road machine. It seems like the Rebel has every thing the Titan does for roughly the same dough and a few things in the ‘plus’ column.

I’m a little wary of the published ground clearance at only 8.8” as I was hoping not to mess with suspension upgrades again. Same (related) concern about 17” wheels on a vehicle of that size (I don’t care for 20” wheels, but 17’s seem undersized for this and I assume that’s the ground clearance driver).

Note: Towing capacity is a non-issue, the raft can be towed by a sedan if needed (and has been).

Note 2: I was a sort-of-serviceable shade tree mechanic 30 years ago but these days I don’t touch anything.

Note 3: in a departure from other facets of life, I’m cheap when it comes to vehicles. I also tend to drive them into dust. I have bought 4 vehicles in my adult life and I still own two of them. Thus, I don’t care much about resale value and I like hearing about trucks that get 200K and don’t have chronic mechanical anomalies.

My hunting buddy, CPO, had a Rebel for 2+ years and it was a shiz show. Here were the "big" problems.....1) Intake manifold howl that the dealership could never "duplicate" and denied was a problem 2) ECM for the entire dash shiz the bed 3) and the biggest, and repetitive, the air suspension did not work correctly ONCE off road...not once. It was limited to a small payload in order to have the ability to go into the "off road" mode and we would test the load prior to leaving for each trip. Without fail we would arrive at the trail head and ATTEMPT to switch to "off road" only to have it refuse. It never stopped our trips but definitely made the trips more challenging than they should have been. Twice we made the trip all the way to camp only to park and then have the suspension decide to "inflate". He downloaded that POS and bought an F150 ecoboost FX4......cheaper and much more reliable off road. I would seriously advise against that air suspension set up as it is simply a BIG thing to be iffy. Between the 2 I would take the Titan every time but would also say to look at the FX4.

Then go buy a trd pro tundra
I did that already :) It’s just 17 years old (10 of them ‘mine’) and my son can’t wedge himself into the back seat any more. There are a few things on the new ones that I don’t like and it’s 10-15% more than the others.

I did that already :) It’s just 17 years old (10 of them ‘mine’) and my son can’t wedge himself into the back seat any more. There are a few things on the new ones that I don’t like and it’s 10-15% more than the others.
The back seat on the Tundra is f'n Yuge! Save 10% on the price or pay 10x as much in maintenance on the Ram. I'd rather pay now and finance at 2% than pay over and over.

and the biggest, and repetitive, the air suspension did not work correctly ONCE off road...not once. It was limited to a small payload in order to have the ability to go into the "off road" mode and we would test the load prior to leaving for each trip. Without fail we would arrive at the trail head and ATTEMPT to switch to "off road" only to have it refuse.
Thanks, SFC, that is something I didn’t think about when I was browsing the specs. I am already mildly uncomfortable with electronic-engaged 4wd after a couple of badly timed failures on that on older vehicles, much less suspension.

I would Buy a ram 2500 gas or a Chevy 2500 gas. Thats what pipeline contractors use these days. If they hold up on the ROW they will hold up for you.

Whatever you do, dont buy a diesel.

Buy a Tundra, and if you must have a rear locker then put in an ARB system in the rear, it will cost you far less than you'd spend fixing other trucks over the life of the vehicle and you get an onboard compressor. I keep thinking I'll do the ARB locker but I really haven't had any issues with Toyota's traction-control system yet. I owned one Dodge/RAM and never will again, and I've heard the Rebel really doesn't deliver the off-road value you think you're getting.

We had two of them as work trucks, hauled a generator and tools around in style. The bed is short on the rebels but they got some get up and go. The ones we had were equipped with air ride suspension so I don't think you could mess with it too much.
One had rear end problems at around 140k if I remember correctly and we traded em in at around 180k. These trucks were driving down lease roads in West Texas and they held up pretty good. I wouldn't mind owning one if the beds weren't so small.

The back seat on the Tundra is f'n Yuge! Save 10% on the price or pay 10x as much in maintenance on the Ram. I'd rather pay now and finance at 2% than pay over and over.
I was going to say that a coworker of mine just bought a Tundra and is super excited about the large backseat. He can climb and stand in there to make sure the kids are buckled in their car seats.

Thanks all. Lots of experiential food for thought and I appreciate it.

I think the Air suspension may be the proverbial straw that breaks the back on the Rebel. I am a full embracer of the electronic age but certain things scare me if they don't work when they are needed. I don't drive much beyond errands and fishing/hunting and I rarely haul anything super heavy or tow anything larger than a 16' raft so my needs are largely getting people and gear into and out of the mountains comfortably without getting stuck.

And I had already written off another Tundra but now I think I need to look again. I love my old Access Cab tundra and have been putting off getting rid of it (I have been in the unique position where it's been my wife bugging me to buy a new truck for years), but $10K more for what seems like the same truck vis a vis the Titan put me off.

just grab a 2015 titan

tried and true, simple and capable

might as well be made in the same factory having many of the the same components as toyotas, just cheaper

people tout the japanese 4x4, well, a titan pro4x is one

I'll just put this out there for all you ram haters lol my 2012 just rolled 170000 and I have all of maybe $500 in parts put into it. But talk all your shiz ;)

I'll just leave this here too. And its not because of price point either ....carry on
View attachment 147670View attachment 147672

for me, personally, how many people do or like a particular thing is not necessarily a great reason to follow suit

if i did generally live with such an MO, all i would eat are big macs, my primary hobby would be fantasy football, followed by watching football, my definition of going outside would be cold snacks by the pool, and i would constantly complain that I, a millenial, have no chance at having a decent life in this country to no fault of my own, and my primary hobby other than watching tv would be drinking bud light a.k.a cold snacks....

just cause most people do it don't make it "good" ;)

for me, personally, how many people do or like a particular thing is not necessarily a great reason to follow suit

if i did generally live with such an MO, all i would eat are big macs, my primary hobby would be fantasy football, followed by watching football, my definition of going outside would be cold snacks by the pool, and i would constantly complain that I, a millenial, have no chance at having a decent life in this country to no fault of my own, and my primary hobby other than watching tv would be drinking bud light a.k.a cold snacks....

just cause most people do it don't make it "good" ;)
While I do agree with you on that aspect none of those cost $50k. I'll just leave with this final comment. No one has to care or listen to it. I won't hesitate to buy another ram and more than likely will be stepping up to a 2500 soon. I dont know anybody personally currently drives one that wouldn't do the same. But then again I dont talk to friends of my third cousins sisters very often to get their opinion on a truck im about to buy

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back