Caribou Gear

Ram Rebel? (Largely vs Titan Pro-4X)

In my case, I’m not looking at the diesel.

Update though, I had a Titan I was ready to go on, but it failed inspection at auction. I may have another one but my friend the broker is acting a little weird about it.

May be worth a thread on a different forum - but I am a little clueless as to how an auto broker actually operates/how they source inventory, what their advantage/value proposition is, etc. I asked her that question directly over email and I didn’t get an answer.

This truck she sent me details on today - I found it in less than 10 seconds online just based on the pictures and mileage she sent. Dealer has it listed for $500 less than she quoted me (I believe standard broker commission is 500 plus whatever other perks they get). I imagine if I called the dealer right now (I won’t) and said I’d give them $1000 less than listing (about a 3% discount) and be there in an hour with cash, they’d take it (it’s been listed for over a month), so I’m confused. I want to help her, but effectively paying 1500 bucks for a little research and some detailing seems out of line. Seeing her in person Monday.

The only purchasing process I hate more than vehicles is real estate. Probably why I average one vehicle a decade and I don’t plan on buying a new house ever again :)

we were starting the process to buy my wife a new car in March and we dabbled with a broker for a few weeks. In that short time I found no benefits other than a little bit of convenience to not have to do the clicks yourself. I thought we were gonna be seeing savings too... we didn’t.

Then covid happened and we decided to not buy a new car.

I bought my Titan through CarMax. Yeah maybe we could’ve saved a little if I tried harder. But given that you don’t find a lot of used titans, and car max had the lowest mileage ones, and while they don’t let you do and inspection, they do have quite a few of their own inspection guarantees, plus the like 5 day return for your money no questions was plenty of time to do my own inspection with a trustworthy mechanic

we won’t be bothering with a broker when we look to buy my wife another car next year

The "hunt" for a new vehicle is the best part!

I'm liking the looks of the TRX, but it's about quadruple my budget.

My quick truck story..
I am I guess a mopar guy. I also like to just buy an keep vehicles. Last 2005 Ram bought used in 06. Only prob I had it needed exhaust manifold studs replaced at 120000m an ball joints for state inspection. But, I replaced rad, waterpump, front tierods and ball joints sametime in prep for using it on my first PA to CO elk hunt in the Sangre De Cristos. Go figure the starter died 2nd day but worked well enough after smacking if a few times to get to town to replace it. Everything else parts wise replaced was norm brakes belts fluids. Great truck. Even ran the beaches in Outer Banks no prob.
So now that I am hooked on this otc diy elk hunting. I figured my old ram worked just need newer maybe. When shopping for my 2019 I really liked the idea of a factory offroad style thats under warranty. But when you think about it. If your way off road you really want simple an tough equipment. So no air ride, better clearance, hopefully better mpgs. So i started looking more for a Tradesman to build off of but with v8, 8speed, tow pkg. Hated the ideas of the cheap wheels they come with. But got lucky an wife found a used one with alot of upgrades already installed for $28k. Then modified my old cap to fit. Added fabbed up front hitch mount for my winch setup. Now adding a BDS 4in kit with all the skid plates.
BDS is a no hassle warranty for life of truck. Full second removable battery for camp an full cordura seat covers with pockets galore. Feels like an adventure truck when climbing in. The fam was sad to sell off the old ram but we've had a blast this summer with this new one. Buy what makes you happy.PhotoPictureResizer_200120_063548563_crop_1957x1047.jpg20200807_085847_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Another vote for the Titan I just picked up a new Titan Pro-4X yesterday and am very happy with it.

I went and drove a Ford F150 FX4 (3.5 and 5.0), a Chevy Silverado Trail Boss Custom, a Toyota Tundra TRD, and the Nissan Titan Pro-4X this week and was blown away by how different each of them drove. I can pretty easily see why someone would pick each of them, depending on what was most important to you, but to me the Titan just ticked all the boxes. I wouldn't say it was the top in any particular category, but it was great across all of the things I cared about.

I currently own a 2020 ram rebel and I love it. I did opted out of the air ride for the standard, Ive heard to many stories about the air rides messing up, and for me thats just something else that can go wrong. I did go with the 5.7 eTourque though, and honestly I cant really tell a difference than a little drag of the truck when letting off the gas while it charges. Next step will be a topper hopefully before my hunting trip to pine ridge for some merriams in the spring!

the titan will always be a sleeper, it falls on deaf ears

what the masses want are f150s with enough clearance to make it over the speed bump at the bank, ram rebels with about as many features as the f150 except it says RAM on it, tacomas that are capable but mostly driven by 27 year old female outdoorsy instagram influencers, chevy's that are designed for highway travel, and gmc's that are designed for fuel efficent "gnar brah" boat towing

That is true. That is exactly what I want.

I cry when i hear the prices you pay for these trucks.... down here in Australia I have been looking for similar models because of their size and tray bed capacity.. for a laramie ram 1500 they start at 100k and go up from there..
Titans are about 120 and up.....

I cry when i hear the prices you pay for these trucks.... down here in Australia I have been looking for similar models because of their size and tray bed capacity.. for a laramie ram 1500 they start at 100k and go up from there..
Titans are about 120 and up.....
What do you need a truck for? I thought everyone in Aus was on lockdown until they can inject Bill Gates into you?

Haha I want to upgrade from my Triton ! Yes we are still locked down... I can't shoot anything and haven't for the last 4 months... I am going insane

I'll throw in one more vote for anything but the Ram, I am stuck with about a dozen of them as fleet vehicles, there are some good things, the new ones get great mileage and drive great, however, I think almost 50% of them have had a transmission replaced under warranty, and probably another 25% have had to have a transmission replaced before 200K.... between that and having to essentially replace all of the suspension components each 100K they cost an arm and a leg to keep rolling... contrast that to my 2006 Tacoma with 290K that I have probably a grand total of $500 in maintaining since I bought it with 500 miles? I'll take the Toyotas, even if you pay a premium to start with...

I purchased one of the first Titan XD Turbo Diesels when they first came out. I've always been a big fan of Nissans (between wife and I we've owned six), so when they announced they were coming out with a diesel I was all aboard. It was a 2016 and I loved it. Tons of power, plenty of torque. I pulled an 11,000 lb 37' RV with it from sea level in FL to 3,000' in N. GA and never once did it feel underpowered. It was the most comfortable ride I've ever experienced in a truck. That Cummins engine served me extremely well, and had no problems with the Nissan as a whole. Every 10,000 miles I sent the oil out for analysis. Always changed filters at that point as well; oil, fuel, and air filters.

Last year the wife and I decided to sell everything and go full time RVing for the next 5 years. We bought a 2020 Riverstone 39FK, which weighs in right around 20,000 lbs and is just over 42' long. Too big and heavy for the Titan, so I traded it in on a Ford F350 DRW. If Nissan made a 1-ton dually I would have bought it.

Thanks all (again). I am set on the Titan PRO-4X but finding one has been a challenge. As noted, have been using a friend who is a broker. She has found 2 that I've agreed to but 1 failed inspection @ Auction and the other one had the silly 20" "luxury" wheels and they wouldn't sub in (used) stock 18" wheels (among some other things they wouldn't do but that was kind of the straw that broke the camels back).

I'm driving over to the local dealer this week - can't hurt to have them looking, too. And I think I need to fire my friend soon since - outside the auction truck - she has sent me online listings (that I had either already seen or found in 10 seconds) with her $499 fee tacked on to the list price and said the dealers 'wouldn't negotiate', which as noted in a post way above, I thought was the whole point of a broker. I hate negotiating with dealers, not that I'm bad at it, I just don't like it.

My quick truck story..
I am I guess a mopar guy. I also like to just buy an keep vehicles. Last 2005 Ram bought used in 06. Only prob I had it needed exhaust manifold studs replaced at 120000m an ball joints for state inspection. But, I replaced rad, waterpump, front tierods and ball joints sametime in prep for using it on my first PA to CO elk hunt in the Sangre De Cristos. Go figure the starter died 2nd day but worked well enough after smacking if a few times to get to town to replace it. Everything else parts wise replaced was norm brakes belts fluids. Great truck. Even ran the beaches in Outer Banks no prob.
So now that I am hooked on this otc diy elk hunting. I figured my old ram worked just need newer maybe. When shopping for my 2019 I really liked the idea of a factory offroad style thats under warranty. But when you think about it. If your way off road you really want simple an tough equipment. So no air ride, better clearance, hopefully better mpgs. So i started looking more for a Tradesman to build off of but with v8, 8speed, tow pkg. Hated the ideas of the cheap wheels they come with. But got lucky an wife found a used one with alot of upgrades already installed for $28k. Then modified my old cap to fit. Added fabbed up front hitch mount for my winch setup. Now adding a BDS 4in kit with all the skid plates.
BDS is a no hassle warranty for life of truck. Full second removable battery for camp an full cordura seat covers with pockets galore. Feels like an adventure truck when climbing in. The fam was sad to sell off the old ram but we've had a blast this summer with this new one. Buy what makes you happy.View attachment 152191View attachment 152192

Love that new truck man!!

Update/closure: Used trucks being very challenging to find and quite pricey these days, I ended up buying a 2021 Pro-4X Titan yesterday. Incentives and whatnot on new ones are quite good right now and if the dealer had any 2020’s left I would have done that instead, as not a lot changed much YoY from the ‘20.

Love it so far (and first time I’ve ever bought New), couple things in the design that are annoying, but very minor and while I almost teared up parting with the old tundra, I’m psyched to see how she does. Need to go read the Topper thread now.

Back