Rally! Rally! Rally! For access!

shoots-straight

To every sportsman on this forum, and all you lurkers out there.

What could be a historic start for accessing over 880,000 acres of public lands in Montana, will take place Monday @ 12:15 in Helena the 18th of February.

If you haven't written the House Reps. there's still time to do that. The number at the bottom of the page will let you send messages to up to 5 legislators, or a committee as a whole.

We hear that not a lot of people have been calling in support of this bill. I would hope that sportsman would be willing to act when something this important crops up.

Wear some hunters orange so we look unified. We will be paraded around the House of Representatives, and hold a rally outside afterwards.

Our own (or On Your Own Adventures) Randy Newberg will be there with his group to give words of encouragement.

If you want to ride a bus, let me know, and I'll see about getting you linked up.

We'll see you at the capital.
Final Bus Schedule:
* Billings 7:00am- Big Bear Sports Center 2618 King Ave West Billings MT 59102
* Laurel 7:30am- Reese and Ryan's IGA 205 S 1st Ave Laurel, MT
* Livingston 8:45am- Albertsons parking lot 2120 Park St S Livingston, MT 59047
* Bozeman 9:30am- Walmart parking lot 1500 N 7Th Ave. Bozeman, MT 59715
* Missoula 9am- Town Pump Travel Plaza 5310 Grant Creek Rd. Missoula , MT 59801
* Great Falls 10:15am- Big Bear Sports Complex 121 NW Bypass Rd. Great
Falls, MT 59404
* Butte 10:30am- Butte Plaza Mall 3100 Harrison Avenue Butte, MT 59701
(SW parking lot by 1st Citizens Bank

The number at the capital to leave a message for a legislator is 444-4800.

Here is a link you can use to email individual legislators:
http://leg.mt.gov/css/Sessions/63rd/legwebmessage.asp

Last edited:
So, is this sorta like what the '60s and '70s were like with protests and sit-ins??? ;) :D Crack out the bell-bottoms, long-hair, and headbands!!!

I hope you guys can get enough people in orange together next Monday to cause a big traffic jam around the capitol. Good luck to ya, as we all have a stake in this opening the doors in other states as well!!!

I hope you guys can get enough people in orange together next Monday to cause a big traffic jam around the capitol. Good luck to ya, as we all have a stake in this opening the doors in other states as well!!!

It all hinges on priorities. If the hunters, fisherman, and recreations of this state pass on this golden opportunity, then they shouldn't bitch when they drive by huge bulls living on lands that they can't access where there's these checkerboard areas.

There's a bunch of individuals on this site and others that could make a difference if they got involved, but sadly it's to much of a bother.

As time goes on, and more people are crunched on the same available lands, they will wish they had give up one day to do something substantial.

I see a army of my fellow sportsman, that from this day forward they can say that they were a part of something bigger than themselves, and if they don't join in they might regret it for the rest of their lives.

If Buzz from this forum, can come all the way from Laramie Wyoming, then we shoud have thousands of Montana outdoors men and woman show.

That my friend is putting your money where your mouth is.

Thanks Buzz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_OpFxCx-A

Last edited:
I will be there. I have to make a stop on the way to Helena but I'm going to make it by 11:30. See you all there.

Hey, I was wondering if I have to email or call anyone to get on the bus headed to Helena, or can I just show up? Thanks.

Shoots-straight,

I hope you made room for myself and 3 others...we wouldnt miss it for anything.

See you there and I hope to see a lot of others turn out.

Shoots-straight,

I hope you made room for myself and 3 others...we wouldnt miss it for anything.

See you there and I hope to see a lot of others turn out.

I got you down!

We need a big enough turn out to send a clear message. Not only on this bill, but send a message to those that wish to run rough shod over us.

See ya there!

I hope many of you will make this event, if it is at all possible. Buses are being provided to make it easier and ease the cost.

Not only for the show of support to the cause of access, but there are some guys who are working immense hours on your behalf this session. Shoots being one of the many who are carrying heavy loads this year. People in all parts of the state are making long trips, logging long days, and they are having a big impact.

These guys are not paid for their time. They are not paid for their expenses. They are paid nothing. It would be a great victory for them if hundreds of hunters showed up at this rally.

We all owe a huge debt of gratitude to this small cadre of guys who are in Helena working on our behalf. The opponents are there all the time, as they are paid salaries to be there. The work is long and tiring, at times straining relationships.

This rally is your chance to demonstrate how important access issues are to and your hunting, and in the process, show these hard working volunteers that you have their back.

Thanks to all who are putting so much into this event and this session.

Thanks to those putting in the extra effort. I have sent messages emails and passing the word every chance i get. Won't make the hearing but cant thank those who can enough.

This rally is not just about corner crossing. It is time we sent our legislators a message that hunters and anglers are a powerful voting bloc and that we want our concerns addressed!! To the 95+% of the hunters/anglers who normally sit on the sidelines, it is time to get off your butts and do something for the sport we all love. Giving one day of your time for something so important seems like a small price to pay.

Be there by noon on next Monday the 18th and wear your orange vest. If you want to get on one of the buses, contact me at [email protected] Excuses not accepted.

141 Bill Draft Requests that deal exclusively with Fish, Wildlife & Parks.

71 Introduced bills.

That's what folks are fighting. We had hoped that this session would be less vitriolic than the last, but after the committee hearing last night on HB 440 (which would gut habitat Montana), I saw a volunteer sportsman confront a paid lobbyist for UPOM about the fabrications he told regarding who allows hunting access.

UPOM claims that 97% of landowners allow public hunting. They're not representing the truth. 35%, roughly, of landowners allow public hunting. It's entirely up to the landowner if they want folks on their place hunting, but their lobbyists are up at the Capitol every day spreading the kind of misinformation and half truths that make us all look bad.

I don't know what will happen to HB 235, but I do know what happens if folks don't show up and fight.

There is a huge target painted on the back of wildlife this session. Dissatisfaction with the former administration and director is leading a blind rage against our license dollars and our funding. The Wild Sheep Foundation guys spent some time with an appropriator yesterday because we heard that they were going to try and disallow the authorization of funds from the Governor's tag auction to be spent on the intended species. The appropriator was grateful that folks took the time to speak with him and we got a commitment that no auction tag funds would be diverted. His take away: When people show up, it makes a difference.

Maintenance of Fishing Access Sites is on the chopping block, so is new FAS acquisitions.

We're dealing with bills that range from wacky to mean spirited folks. It's time to stop the craziness and let the legislators know that we don't support the war on wildlife, or the war on hunters and anglers.

There's a lot of talk about how poor sportsman-landowner relations are, but I fail to see how 141 bill drafts, the vast majority of which attack us, attack the North American Model, and attack our access funding are supposed to heal any rifts.

It's time to stand up and fight back.

See you all there.

"I fear, that, as conditions worsen, many will react to the failures of too much government by calling for even more government. Then there will be more and more lifeboats launched, because fewer and fewer citizens know how to swim. Unlike some pendulums, political pendulums do not swing back automatically; they must be pushed. History is full of instances when people have waited in vain for pendulums to swing back"

"I fear, that, as conditions worsen, many will react to the failures of too much government by calling for even more government. Then there will be more and more lifeboats launched, because fewer and fewer citizens know how to swim. Unlike some pendulums, political pendulums do not swing back automatically; they must be pushed. History is full of instances when people have waited in vain for pendulums to swing back"

We are asking for less Government. The keep making more. We want them out of the business of managing wildlife. They want to control every aspect of it.

It's the Republicans that are asking for more bureaucracy. If your a Republican in Montana you should be ashamed. I know I am.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back