Raghorn Express

Ok, definitions of raghorns definitely vary!
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't grow up in the west, so the term raghorn has been new to me. I always assumed it was antlers that were small and branched, but not many points. Some of those posted are 5x5's that are decent bulls. I don't know to consider a raghorn anymore...:rolleyes:

Raghorn (noun): A two-and-half year old bull elk sporting his second set of antlers, typically containing four (occasionally three) points on each side.
I kept hammering all week but only saw two cows, a spike, and a raghorn.

(adjective): Relating to a two-and-a-half year old bull elk.
I’d love to hold out for a six-point but I’ve heard you can’t eat anthers, so I’ll gladly take a ride on the raghorn express if given the chance.

Last edited:
Raghorn (noun): A two-and-half year old bull elk sporting his second set of antlers, typically containing four (occasionally three) points on each side.
I kept hammering all week but only saw two cows, a spike, and a raghorn.

(adjective): Relating to a two-and-a-half year old bull elk.
I’d love to hold out for a six-point but I’ve heard you can’t eat anthers, so I’ll gladly take a ride on the raghorn express if given the chance.

I like this definition, but I think raghorns may exist well beyond two-and-half year olds. This bull was a small 5 x 6, and my impression was it is arguably a raghorn. The lab aged it at 5.5 years old.

1666617280498.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back