Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

The Raghorn vs. Forky Discrepancy

SixPoint

So after seeing the rebirth of the Raghorn Express thread and seeing the several threads on MT mule deer frustrations it has me wondering.. why is it socially acceptable to shoot a 2.5yo bull elk but not a 2.5yo mule deer buck? Especially in a state like MT where there are either sex opportunities abound and you can get three elk tags over the counter. I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts. If we started a thread titled "Forky Express" there would be an angry mob. I know growing up hunting in MT, cow opportunities were few and far between, so the legal bull mentality was ingrained early, and I've certainly shot my share of younger bulls over the years. That being said, now I try to hold out for a mature bull, or if I want the meat I'll take a cow. What's everyone else's thoughts on why this is?

So after seeing the rebirth of the Raghorn Express thread and seeing the several threads on MT mule deer frustrations it has me wondering.. why is it socially acceptable to shoot a 2.5yo bull elk but not a 2.5yo mule deer buck? Especially in a state like MT where there are either sex opportunities abound and you can get three elk tags over the counter. I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts. If we started a thread titled "Forky Express" there would be an angry mob. I know growing up hunting in MT, cow opportunities were few and far between, so the legal bull mentality was ingrained early, and I've certainly shot my share of younger bulls over the years. That being said, now I try to hold out for a mature bull, or if I want the meat I'll take a cow. What's everyone else's thoughts on why this is?
All things considered, elk populations are a lot healthier than deer... You usually don't get to hunt the elk rut with a rifle, so a better age class persists... and I love elk backstraps!

Hell I'll do you one better. Id never kill a fawn mule deer or whitey, unless it was with my pickup on accident.

But you bet your ass I'll flick the safety on a elk calf if the time is right.

#herdcontrol
#butterballbackstraps

I think especially for many non residents, a legal elk is a filled tag. Lessens the sting of the expense a bit. In regard to mule deer, I think most of the guys who travel to hunt mule deer love the chase and perhaps are less concerned with just filling the tag with a legal deer. I know I and the guys I hunt with are relatively unconcerned with harvesting young mule deer. If we want venison, we can accomplish that easily at home.

it seems about every forkhorn in the country can be shot resting on the mirror of your truck, and so many are done that way,

ive never had the opportunity to shoot an elk from or within half mile of a road,,, i see pics so i know people can do it,,,,
to me it comes down to intent hunting vs shooting, slob hunting ect, what ever the mentality, the amount of does and forkhorns in pics all over the net and all the proud hunters,,, i wonder if any of the people have any idea of mule deer populations, history, mangement problems, ect, i understand my goals, trophies ect shouldnt be pushed on another, or another hunter berated for taking does or forkkies, but seriously, i think mule deer are gonna go the way of the DO-DO bird, unless general season over the counter tags, come to an end,,,

I’m guessing if people were road hunting spike bulls during the heart of the rut with a rifle it might get the same reaction. I can also get behind saying “meat in the freezer” more easily when it involves a yearling elk more than I can a yearling deer

Honestly I think it sucks people belittle others for what they are willing to shoot. Thats on them at the end of the day.

With that said, put a dang antler point restriction on the bucks. Cant shoot anything without 4 on a side. The county my parents live in Michigan has done that and the age class has gone up significantly.

I know thats not going to fix everything but it would make an impact on reducing the amount of bambis with a horn taken every year.

I know I have it coming. Bash away.

I’m guessing if people were road hunting spike bulls during the heart of the rut with a rifle it might get the same reaction. I can also get behind saying “meat in the freezer” more easily when it involves a yearling elk more than I can a yearling deer

Doubt there'd be a similar reaction because it'd still be way easier to sluice a forky in Nov.

Better eating, population is doing better, and probably partly because killing a fork horn muley in areas where there are ok numbers is almost as challenging as tying your shoes. Killing an elk in most places is fairly difficult to kill any elk for most of us aside from several guys on here.

With that said, put a dang antler point restriction on the bucks. Cant shoot anything without 4 on a side. The county my parents live in Michigan has done that and the age class has gone up significantly.

Point restrictions on mule deer aren’t a good idea because you would end up with a bunch big 3pts spreading bad genetics

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back