Rabbit Hunters...what do you use?

Westxhunter

We've had a couple freezes out here in the desert and it's still nice and cold. I haven't hunted rabbits more than a handful of times. If you're a desert rabbit hunter, what do you use? I have a 12 gauge and am looking at buying a .22lr or something similar for those long range Jack Rabbit shots. What do you guys use?

22 if I can shoot sitting rabbits. I have a small double barrel muzzleloader shotgun that does great in areas where shotguns are required. It's great but I'm low on quality percussion caps and I'm afraid to go looking for more.

I have plenty of 16 and 12 gauge shells to keep me occupied but my favorite rabbit spot has been overrun by dog walkers which has reduced rabbit presence to almost none. I got my RCBS shotgun press out of the box the other day to see if I can load some specialty shells once things get back to "normal"

I use a little single shot 410. Works well enough, unless I miss.

I’ve shot cottontails with air rifles, .22’s, .357 and .44 pistols, archery, and shotguns. I prefer to go after them with a good .22 and a scope turned as low it will go.

I've mainly used a shotgun but have used just about everything. Started out with a 1 pump BB gun. Have used .22 rifles, revolvers, 12 and 20 gauge shotguns and even popped a runner with a .45 1911! None with a bow, but I don't hunt them anymore so that's out.

What I learned was desert rabbits are not eastern rabbits, in AZ anyway, they would just hop a few feet/yards to get out of the way. Pre-season deer scouting I toted a .22 pump pellet rifle. Yeah, I missed as many as I hit, but still I brought home enough bunnies for my new (then), now EX, wife to pitch a b!tch about too many......Even used a Wrist Rocket and 00 buckshot for a few. That was fun.

Back