Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

R.I.P. Tom Easterly

What Map

Tom Easterly died Thursday February 20, 2014.

Wyoming wildlife lost an unwavering supporter.
Wyoming Game and Fish lost a dedicated, hard-working biologist.
Greybull, Wyoming lost a solid citizen.
And Diane and I lost a good friend, hunting partner and ski buddy.

Tom  Sue 1 feb 2013.jpg

Tom was on a ski sojourn to Big Sky when he died. Diane and I were to ski with him as we had for the last few years when we heard he would not be making the chair lift on the 20th. It was a sad, sad day.

We have known Tom Easterly for over two decades. His unexpected death has left a big hole in the hearts of friends and family around Wyoming, Montana and Colorado.

The following is based on obituaries written by Bob Hix (Pheasant Forever) and one posted in the Cody Enterprise (http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/obituaries/article_daf3b3dc-9da0-11e3-b5ca-0019bb2963f4.html)

Tom was a Greybull Wyoming Game & Fish Wildlife Biologist since 1992 and one of the leaders of the Bighorn Basin Pheasants Forever Chapter.

Tom was also instrumental in the introduction of Rio Grande turkeys into the Big Horn Basin. He managed a diverse wildlife resource, ranging from bighorn sheep in Devil’s and Shell Canyons, to pheasants, partridge, turkeys, elk, mule deer, white-tailed deer, mountain lions and black bears.

He taught hunters safety courses and was a volunteer fireman for the town of Greybull and the Shell Valley community. Tom served on the Greybull Town Council for several years. He was instrumental in forming the Shell Racing Team which hosted the Bighorn Mountain Bike Rendezvous in 2006 in an effort to rally mountain bikers from across the state. Tom was an Elk’s club member and was active participant in efforts to restore the Antelope Butte Ski area.

Tom always fulfilled landowner requests to evaluate and recommend habitat treatments for wildlife on their property. Tom played an active role in the Hamilton Ranch Coordinated Resource Management plan which has taken proactive steps to address habitat concerns that benefit both landowner and wildlife interests. His supervisor received letters of thanks every year for his unsolicited help from the hunters he served. A recently received a letter from an out of state elk hunter explained how Tom went out of his way to make his hunt both successful and fun although, this was how he treated everyone. This fall, at a game check station, two older hunters told his supervisor how Tom helped them field dress and pack there elk down to their parked vehicle, not finishing until well after dark. A recent post from a local hunter spoke of how Tom “saved his life years ago”, an unselfish act yet never recognized publicly until now.

There is no doubt that Tom, a friend to so many, led a full life in his 50 short years. His friendship was, at its essence, selfless, encouraging and unwavering. He was adventurous and always ready for a day outdoors with his buddies – whether mountain biking, skiing, hunting or hiking.

Tom was soft-spoken, yet stubborn; an independent spirit, yet fiercely loyal to his friends. His many friends will find comfort in their fond memories of Tom that will allow his legacy to live on.

Diane and I are going to miss our Big Horn Basin friend. Tom was a wealth of knowledge and quality companionship in the fields, on the slopes and around the camp fires.

Sorry for your loss of a great friend...what a great photo to remember him by.

Quite an epitaph. 50 years young is way too soon. Sounds like a fine person, sorry for family and friends.

Sorry for your loss Shannon. Tom has always been a very highly regarded man in all aspects of life.

Godspeed Tom.

Over the years I ran into Tom a couple different times out in the Big Horn Basin while deer hunting and he seemed like a real genuine guy. I know my Wyoming hunting partners all spoke very highly of him. Thoughts and prayers.

Sorry to hear that. If you or Di need anything from Cassie or myself please let us know. His family and friends will be in our prayers.

Sorry to hear of his passing. I never got to meet him, but he left a good example for us to live by.

Tom will be missed by many in Wyoming, he was a hell of a man. His service was humbling, most of the Wyoming Game and Fish were in attendance as well as many of his friends. By the way Shannon, "Sue" his old shorthair in the pic; is the last surviving offspring of your old shorthair "Gus".

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back