Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Quick swan hunt

mtmiller

As of yesterday I still had a swan tag in my pocket and things are freezing up quickly. Got to my spot and most of the lake was frozen, but there were a couple open holes with lots of birds. I figured I would just push my boat across the ice until I got to the open water. This worked well for about 100 yards and then I broke through the ice. Oh well, made it this far, so I busted ice for another 150 yards and finally made it to a good location.

Life was good then. I threw out a couple swan decoys and one wind driven spinning duck. Killed a couple nice greenheads and then started to try and pick out birds with bands. That was more difficult than I first thought, so I just finished off with a couple more greenheads and a redhead drake 6th bird.

This is a crappy shot (shooting into the sun), but you can see the conditions Axl was happy to endure.
swandayLarge.jpg

Soon after I filled with ducks, a group of 4 swans came in low to check things out. I picked out the biggest one and 3 left.:D Is this guy a stud or what? Busting ice and bringing in a giant bird.
swanLarge.jpg

Here are the totals from Friday evening. Was too dark when we got back to the pickup, so they were a little frozen for pics this morning.:eek:
swanday1Large.jpg

Slept in the pick-up last night and picked up a quick limit of ducks this morning. Guess I will be cooking and cutting tonight.:D
swanday2Large.jpg

Carry on all and thanks for looking.

Congrats on the swan. I still have a tag in my pocket also.

Looks like two 6 drake limits of 5 greenheads and a redhead. I hate being stuck in the office.

Nemont

Nemont said:
Looks like two 6 drake limits of 5 greenheads and a redhead.
Nemont
This mornings 6th bird was a can. My grape is kind of blocking it in the pic.

IdahoBugler said:
Awesome birds miller. Now go kill that big buck that's waiting for you.
I hate deer hunting, and have decided to only chase birds.;) ;)

You know last year you said that if you killed a limit of greenheads and a drake Can in a day you would get them mounted. By my counting you have accomplished that at least three times this year.

Are you thinking dead mount like you have them hanging? :D

Too bad about giving up on the deer this year but there are birds here to make up for it.

Nemont

Nemont said:
You know last year you said that if you killed a limit of greenheads and a drake Can in a day you would get them mounted. By my counting you have accomplished that at least three times this year.

Are you thinking dead mount like you have them hanging? :D

Nemont
Actually I think this is the 4th or 5th.:eek: Guess I have been caught in a lie.:D Someday I would love to do it, but I am taxidermist shopping right now for a mount I can't afford.:eek: :D

I wasn't trying to catch you in a lie. Just remembered you saying it. Any way you have been putting a hurting on the waterfowl. You do have to keep Axl happy I guess.

Nemont

Good idea to let Axl stage all your field pics for you. Professional grade for sure.

Good going on the water birds! Tonight while waiting for my buck to come out I watched several big V's of dark geese come through. No shooter bucks tonight.

Sorry to hear you gave up on deer hunting. If you were to have a buck of your chosing, would you choose a big heavy typical 4, or a freak?

Heck Tyson, you don't want to shoot a deer opening day anyway.:D

Waterfowl is big fun, but my heart is with the deer hunting. As you know, I got a buck this year, just never got it posted. Had to kid IB a little bit.:D

Good luck with your deer tags, just leave a decent one in the Hills for me.:D

Just finished up with the birds. Ten ducks and a swan into the jerky hopper and a canvasback and redhead on the stove in some olive oil. Should be a yummy diver dinner for tonight.

NICE! My swan season doesn't open for awhile, but they don't want us to shoot the big ones. Might be a trumpeter...

1_pointer said:
NICE! My swan season doesn't open for awhile, but they don't want us to shoot the big ones. Might be a trumpeter...
I noticed you like the grey ones.;) :D

Nice pictures and two full bags plush a giant white winged trash can lid... One of these days I'll get back up there and whack another. Congrats on all the birds.

Man you must like eating ducks... :D

So where the pictures of the deer? You waiting to hear back from a publisher or what? ;)

WOW! THAT swan's feet are big enough to cover your face! too bad they didnt:D

I had an assortment of shotshells in my pocket and since I usually had #2's in the barrel and would just grab whatever when I saw the big birds. This guy was taken either with T or BBB. He came out of the air dead, so I didn't get to see Axl battle too hard.:D

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back