Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Quick Goat Hunt

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on an awesome adventure.

Pictures are creating quite a bit of itching that really should be scratched.

Both billies seem to have good hair. I am one step below a novice when saying that.

Anyway, I have been kicking around appyling for goat on kodiak, but have always held back. I am limited as to how late in the year I can hunt and have always been told the hair would be no good when I have the time to hunt.

I wouldn't be able to hunt after the third week in september give or take a couple days.

I would be very happy with either coat from your hunt.

How much does the hair length change in that area from the beginning of the season to say midway through September?

I've heard that for many years and have always said it doesn't make much difference here. Biologist says there's an inch difference between early Sept and late Oct on the island. Goats never get really short hair here like other places and the difference in daylight and worse weather doesn't justify hunting later to me.

Both billies seem to have good hair. I am one step below a novice when saying that.

Anyway, I have been kicking around appyling for goat on kodiak, but have always held back. I am limited as to how late in the year I can hunt and have always been told the hair would be no good when I have the time to hunt.

I wouldn't be able to hunt after the third week in september give or take a couple days.

I would be very happy with either coat from your hunt.

How much does the hair length change in that area from the beginning of the season to say midway through September?

My first billy taken Sept 3rd or 4th, 9.75". I don't think anyone that's seen it has guessed it was taken early season.

GoatMount1.jpg

GoatMount2.jpg

Great pictures and hunt! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post them. You guys can really hunt a lot of critters. My brother called and said that he and a buddy just got a moose and needed another guy for packing. After the shot the fun is over up in that country.

Next year is your 40" ram's turn.

Everything south of the Zachar river and Old Harbor is registration, so you don't have to put in for a draw. Just pick up a tag at fish and game.

I need to move!

Congrats on a great hunt. Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Great lookin pics and looks like an awesome goat!!

I just got home from a hunt where I passed up some smaller billies and nannies looking for a big guy. They are sure a dream animal of mine to kill, but I wanted it to be the 'right' billy when I shot one...

Congrats again!!!

My wife said no to a goat rug but would like a tanned hide with the head and hooves removed. That would save me about $1k, but I was thinking its a shame to cut up the rug and called a taxidermist who said he'd give me $500 for the hide. So should I tan it or sell it and buy some new toys? I'd still have a Euro mount and the pictures.

My wife said no to a goat rug but would like a tanned hide with the head and hooves removed.

If you really don't care, I think what mamma wanted would trump new toys. :) I'm always looking to keep things peaceful. ;)

If you really don't care, I think what mamma wanted would trump new toys. :) I'm always looking to keep things peaceful. ;)

She said she would ALLOW the hide, without the head and hooves on, upstairs. That doesn't necessarily mean she loves the idea... ;)
I'll probably get it tanned, although I do need a new backpack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back