Questions you want answered

Why can't you sell any venison over and above what you need for your own personal consumption?

You should start a thread on this one. Would be epic.

As far as the OP.

Why do you think hunting shows are being replaced by other programming such as fishing, gun/nra, gold panning, etc... on the networks focused on outdoor recreation?

What are the top three hunts on your Bucket list and what about those hunts put them at the top?

What's the best gift for the Mrs when you unexpectedly draw a hard to get tag that's gonna be time and $$ consuming. Furniture? Vacations? Jewelry?

this has come up a few times with Rinella, and alot of times between my hunting buddies and I

Is hunter recruitment actually a good thing for hunters?

How do you go about introducing "newbies" to outdoors activities (camping fishing hunting) ?

What are the benefits of eating wild game?

How does one learn the "ethics" of fair chase?.......any stories of how you were tempted/offered a situation where you could have made a "poor choice" and how did you discern the proper response.

Synthethics vs merino wool.
Smart policy suggestions to improve hunter access. How hunters can intelligently and effectively get involved.
Minimum hunting age and why. Quite a variety from state to state, I'd be interested in a discussion of the pros and cons and any data from states with different age requirements.

After reading about the Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA) in the other topic, seeing the re-authorization of the LWCF struggle, and the multiple sportsman's acts fail in congress recently. What are your thoughts on how we as sportsmen can better organize to help get good legislation, like some of these, through the legislative process?

Out of the 12,050 members of hunt talk, it would be interesting to know what percentage do most of the posting...because it's easy to see the same 50-100 usernames posting all the time, if that many. Do you dump people after they are inactive for so long?

What western states haven't you hunted/hunted much yet? And what state of those interests you the most to hunt and for what species?

this has come up a few times with Rinella, and alot of times between my hunting buddies and I

Is hunter recruitment actually a good thing for hunters?

I've listened to Steve talk about it and he always refers to his brother's opinion on it, without really expressing his own. We plan to be on each other's Podcasts, since we are using the same production company, so that might be a time to discuss further.

Me, I think it is a good thing, but it can only go so far. Hunting is hard to come to as a "read and do" kind of activity. It takes mentors to recruit. I know very few people who came to hunting without mentors. No mentors, no recruitment. No recruitment, no future for hunting. At least in the world as viewed through the eyes of Randy Newberg.

Brinker and Sposito were guests today. They did a great job of picking some of these questions and trying to push our minds about what perspectives may have generated the question. They will surely be guests on a regular basis.

Me, I think it is a good thing, but it can only go so far. Hunting is hard to come to as a "read and do" kind of activity. It takes mentors to recruit. I know very few people who came to hunting without mentors. No mentors, no recruitment. No recruitment, no future for hunting. At least in the world as viewed through the eyes of Randy Newberg.

So being the research nerd that I am I did a quick look into what the actual number is of hunters and found what I thought was pretty interesting.

Since 1965, the number of hunting licenses sold in the USA has remained pretty stable, right around 14.5 million every year for the USA. Give or take .5 million over the years. The population of the USA in that same time has gone from 194 million to 320 million. Population increased 60% without any increase in licenses sold.

With land that you can hunt or access shrinking, wonder where the breaking point really is? I do thank the Lord every time I am out in nature that I live in a place with so much land available to my hunting adventures.

What is the biggest threat to public land DIY hunting in the West in your opinion? What should we as hunters do about it today?

It's a run on question.. ;)

Guys, this idea worked out so much better than I could have ever expected. We plucked a few questions and it led us into a bunch of other topics related to questions asked here. We did not get to even a fraction of these questions, but we are going to do another episode on Friday and continue pulling questions from right here.

Dan and Janis have been working on the Meateater Podcast from the start. They looked at these questions and both quickly remarked it is a "Podcast gold mine." I really appreciate the time that you guys put into this stuff. Whenever we are short on guests, I suspect we will come back to this thread and just pluck out a few more diamonds.

They loved the "Handyman" question, requiring me to go into a long dissertation of the history of that question, which led to me giving the younger guys marital advice that would allow them to hunt and fish more, which led to a discussion about youth hunting, which led to how old farts like me see the world different than they do, which led to a discussion of my dream hunt, which when I replied MT bighorn they asked "why", which led to a discussion of wild sheep disease, which led to a discussion of political ideologies that harm wild sheep, which led to how hunting issues are being dragged to the political arena where hunters are not interested/adept/prepared to play, which led to ..............

Thanks again.

If not too late, what is your approach to dealing to sleeping soundly at elevated altitude? What about in general when hunting at elevated altitude? I am a flatlander and takes about three days at elevation to be anywhere near my stamina down at sea level. I am up the learning curve after three hunts at elevation in recent years but am always looking for a few more real world tips.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back