Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Question for Bear Hunters

I enjoy it. Bears are cool animals. Pretty unique animals in my opinion. They also taste good. Spring bear allows me the opportunity to get out and do a backpack style hunt during the “offseason”. I really look forward to it every year.

I enjoy it. Bears are cool animals. Pretty unique animals in my opinion. They also taste good. Spring bear allows me the opportunity to get out and do a backpack style hunt during the “offseason”. I really look forward to it every year.
As far as taste goes, do you prefer spring or fall?

I lived several years in Lakeside, Got stationed there coming back from Germany in 1970. Me and a friend hunted bears now and them because they were there. Before that a friend in Oregon had shot one and gave me some ribs. UG! About the worst tasting meat I ever ate. So we hunted them just because in Montana, there were a ton of them around. Shot two up there and the only difference to me between shooting them and a deer or elk is that they looked like a bear! Didn't have a clue what to do with the meat so took the hind quarters into a meat shop in Kalispell and had them fixer up, don't really know what they did with it. Anyway got it back and was leery about trying it but actually did. Stuff was great! tasted like Canadian bacon. Up there we saw a lot of them but never shot a lot and not sure why. Lot more of them up there than down here in Oregon. Have lived in Oregon about 60+ years and in all that time have seen only about three bears. I think if I saw more I might hunt them as fixed right they are good to eat. One more thing that might turn people off. hang them in a tree and skin them and when your done it looks like a man hanging there!

If I pick any meat I’m going with moose
Ya know, while I was up in Alaska a friend made us some Moose. Thought it would be good but again it was ribs and I wouldn't walk across the street for another rib! lady I know in Arizona went to Northwest Territories hunting Musk Ox with her old man and they got two. she said it is the best meat she ever ate. She'd probably give me ribs and I'm about ribbed out. I cut the meat off ribs and grind it to hamburger, it's eatable that way!

Not questioning it at all. Just curious what drives those that hunt bears to do it. I’ve just never had the desire to do it. Just like I have no desire to go hunt Africa. Just me though. Don’t think that by not hunting bears makes me any less of a “Hunter.” If it does, guess I’m not as “hardcore” as you are Sask.
If there is one place on earth I'd love to hunt it's Africa! But that has always been just a dream, simply to expensive for me. One of my brother's took his son and Daughter-in-law on a photo safari some years ago. They spent three weeks in a lodge and it cost him $65,000! That did not include the air fare over. But I still think about it. I'd go just for a photo Safari if I could afford that.

Ya know, while I was up in Alaska a friend made us some Moose. Thought it would be good but again it was ribs and I wouldn't walk across the street for another rib! lady I know in Arizona went to Northwest Territories hunting Musk Ox with her old man and they got two. she said it is the best meat she ever ate. She'd probably give me ribs and I'm about ribbed out. I cut the meat off ribs and grind it to hamburger, it's eatable that way!
I’m not a big rib fan either. Grind and into sausage is my preference for ribs

If there is one place on earth I'd love to hunt it's Africa! But that has always been just a dream, simply to expensive for me. One of my brother's took his son and Daughter-in-law on a photo safari some years ago. They spent three weeks in a lodge and it cost him $65,000! That did not include the air fare over. But I still think about it. I'd go just for a photo Safari if I could afford that.
I spent two and a half weeks in Africa on a photo safari. It cost about $5,000, airfare included (about $2,200). This was back in 1994, and I considered it expensive. One of the best times I've ever had - money well spent. Who knows what they're running nowadays.

Back