Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Question about Elevation

marshman

Going to south central ID for mule deer in mid October, here is the question; I am looking at an area that is between 6,500' and 7,500'. The area is bordered by much bigger peaks, 9,000' on one side of the valley. Will I Be in deer at 6,500' in early to mid October considering no major snow? Or will they still be concentrated up in the higher areas? I know weather is a big variable factor, I am working on the line no major weather for the season yet.

Ive found deer higher, generally, in that area. North of 8k'.

Higher parts of the immediate area. Some units are lower in elevation than others.

Definitely look high, but some of the lower sagebrush/juniper country can hold bucks in Oct. Biggest buck I saw on a hunt a few years back was way lower than where I ended up killing mine.

I have been thinking higher up might be the correct choice also, but I am a coastal Blacktail hunter and I think my experience might be affecting my thought process a bit. Those higher peaks are pretty barren with much more forest and cover on the lower ranges of hills. I am not going to go in totally blind, I am planning a scouting trip around the first week of August, but i am assuming this would be total summer range time of the year.
What drove this line of questions is a statement I heard from an IDFG biologist, that Mule deer in this part of the state will begin their migration around mid - October regardless of weather, so i am looking and learning options, if unsuccessful on the mid October hunt I plan to return for the last week of the season in late October.

That is the plan, the area has plenty of both. And really pretty country in the end you go and have a good time, and that is what we will do.

Back