Putnam County IL Deer Hunt!

Ryan2388

Hey Everybody,

I am very excited for the end of the month. I haven't hunted since September for elk, and I did get close with my long bow just not close enough. Chasing big mid western bucks is a top three favorite of mine. The last time I hunted I missed a nice buck and the previous took the biggest buck of my life. So I am very excited by the trail cam pics.

Any when else been hunting Putnam county or Northern IL? My buddy told me it is very warm and the rut is late.

Henry county here. Missed the gun opener this morning. Deer were really moving a couple of weeks ago, bucks sniffing around, typical pre-rut behavior. Last weekend was slow, which usually means the does are in heat and actively breeding. Saw a few does bedded in the picked corn at night last week, the full moon and warm days has them out at night. The rut time won't change because of the weather, but the deer's activity times and levels will. A cold front coming through today and high winds tomorrow will probably make Sunday a good day to hunt.

End of the month gun or bow? Usually after the first gun season things get tougher until late in the season. Pray for snow.

I have a second season muzzleloader licenses for buck and doe. I wish I could hunt first, but that is for residents only I thought. I have always seen at least a few nice bucks, and I did get my last buck during second season. Your right cold weather and snow really make a difference on movement!

Didn't know there was a second season muzzy tag. I knew that firearm they ask when applying if we would accept a second season only. If it actually says second season you'll be here December 9-11? Hard to say what the weather will do by then. I just rolled in from killing my 2 this morning. Done by 9AM! Took a big fat spike that counts as antlerless, and a chunky 6 pointer to help top off the freezer. I shot a nice doe 2nd day of bow season as well. The bucks have been running does here for a week or so, had a big one get past me because the sun was blinding me behind it and I couldn't see my pin. No bow shot... I've also seen bucks all by themselves cruising around. I have a muzzy tag yet and an archery tag as well. We'll see what happens once I get these two butchered up if I go out or not. Probably will but the weather will make up my mind for me! Maybe message me before you get here and we can work out a time to meet up! Time for a hot shower to straighten out my back!

Headed out in the morning with a muzzy tag to try and get a nice eater doe for my brother-in-law. Of course, if a big buck comes along that would just give him lots of burger and jerky while I get a prize for the wall! ;) My freezer is full, may as well help someone else out with some meat if I can. Hate to let a tag go to waste!

SKUNKED! I saw a quick glimpse of a doe Thursday morning around 8AM. That was it! Hunted all 4 days. Well, Sunday we had a snowstorm coming in and I got out just when it started to snow. Figured they might move past me headed for thick cover. Nope. Called it quits after about 4 hours and 2 inches of snow. Went home and watched the other 5 inches fall then plowed our drive with the ATV. Not sure about next weekend. More snow in the forecast.

I hunted Saturday before and after work and didn't see anything. Sat all day Sunday in the snow and had one little forkhorn walk by fifteen minutes before quitting time. Very disappointing weekend without many shots heard.

I'll hit it a little this weekend. My kids got their deer earlier, and the freezer is full, so it's all for fun now anyway.

Yep, disappointing pretty much covers it. Not much shooting here as well. Some in the pines Sunday during the snow. We're not all that far apart! How much snow did you end up with? Figure about 7 inches here and Chicago news is looking at another 5 or more for us next weekend.

Calhoun County (west central IL) here. Both gun seasons were a disappointment. Still haven't recovered from the EHD outbreak back in 2012, figure we lost around 75% of our deer. Counted 11 dead deer on my 52 acres that year. Sister killed a decent buck that might go 125" but that was it.

We had around 8" of snow.

The EHD hit us pretty good too. This is the first year we've killed deer since 2013. Lots of young deer this year and a couple of OK bucks, if we can keep the disease out of the herd next year might be pretty good.

I hunt Northern IL public land towards the Mississippi. It was warm until last week and we also had a late rut that seemed pretty short too. The numbers are down. Same as Gut Shot, I have been seeing lots of young deer. Unfortunately the public land around gets pressured pretty hard so the nice weather we have had kind of sucks. Now this week is going to be a high of 6° on Thursday, I will probably be the only one out there.

I went out with the Muzzleloader Sunday afternoon. Saw one doe.

Henry county was down about 20% from last year's gun season. Statewide was down several thousand deer.

I'm working until Christmas so it will be a couple of weeks until I get back out in the field and then the focus might be coyotes.

Stayed home this weekend and fixed my truck. The grille didn't hold up to a Redtail at 60MPH!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back