Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Push back on House Rules - What you can do

Just emailed both my senators. I've emailed Patty Murray before about the public land transfer and she replied in detail stating that she was against it and would work to fight such ideas, which is great. If only she can help convince her republican colleagues.

is it my imagination or did all these politicians just suddenly change their tune since the election?

Let's see.....

in July, 2016: GOP Platform: "Transfer Public Lands to the States

November 2016: GOP wins "historic" landslide election, elects Private Land Developer

January 2107: GOP lead Congress votes to make it easy to transfer private lands

Nope, I would not say these politicians changed their minds. Looks like they are doing what they promised to do, and what the voters elected them to do.

We finally have honest politicians, and people are upset....

Received a response from 1 of my Senators Pat Toomey(R) in PA - Sadly the following is an excerpt from the response that I received.

"In March 2015, Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) offered an amendment to the fiscal year 2016 budget resolution (S. Con. Res. 11) to revise budget levels for legislation that transfers federal land to state governments. Senator Murkowski's amendment did not authorize any land transaction and did not apply to land within national parks, national preserves, or national monuments. I voted in favor of this measure because states have the best knowledge and tools at their disposal to appropriately manage public land. The Senate approved Senator Murkowski's amendment by a 51-49 bipartisan vote, and the measure was included in the final conference report."

Here is the letter I received from Joni Ernst (R-IA):
Dear Mr. Geerdes,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the issue of public lands. It is important for me to hear from folks in Iowa on policy matters such as this.

As you may know, federal lands make up only 0.3% of Iowa's total landmass--this figure is one of the lowest among the states. However, nationwide, the federal government owns roughly 28% of the 2.27 billion acres of land in the United States, much of which is concentrated in the West. For example, nearly 70% of the land in Alaska and Idaho is designated as federal land.

Our nation's public lands and National Parks are some of our greatest treasures, providing Americans with the opportunity to hunt, fish, hike, or simply observe nature and wildlife. Currently, federal land management agencies are struggling to properly maintain and manage these lands. For example, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS), the National Park Service has an approximately $12 billion maintenance backlog.

It is my firm belief that those who live and work on the land are the best suited to manage it. For this reason, during my time in the U.S. Senate, I have supported legislation that aims to increase state and local control over public lands.

Furthermore, conservation and natural resource development do not have to be mutually exclusive. I believe the United States can responsibly take advantage of its abundant natural resources while also emphasizing conservation.

Please know that I will keep your views in mind as the Senate continues to work on this issue. Feel free to contact my office with any further information, as I always enjoy hearing from Iowans.

Sincerely,

Joni K. Ernst
United States Senator

Following is the response sent from Congressman / DOI Nominee Zinke. It sounds clearly enough opposed to PLT ... but only time will tell.

Thank you for contacting me about public lands. I appreciate having your thoughts on this issue, as your input is valuable to me.

As a fifth generation Montanan, I understand how important our public lands are to our local economies, communities, and, more importantly, our very way of life. Our wealth of natural resources creates jobs, supports families, and promotes recreation. It is of utmost importance to me that we preserve the public’s access to these lands.

In a joint address to the Montana State Legislature two years ago, I made it clear that I will not tolerate selling or transferring our public lands. That position has not changed, nor will it change. However, we need to find a way to cut through the bureaucracy to ensure our parks, forests, and other public areas are properly managed.

I have noted your concerns about a recent procedural vote taken by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 3, 2017. The language in the rule does not transfer or sell any public lands, but simply establishes budgetary rules that will determine how bills will be written and scored in the 115th Congress. What will allow land transfers and sales to proceed will be future bills written by Members of Congress. I have stood against these efforts before and will continue to adamantly oppose any proposals to sell or transfer public lands.

I have consistently supported keeping our public lands public. With each vote, I have taken on leadership for the sake of Montana’s values. As a member of the House Natural Resources Committee, please know that I will keep your thoughts firmly in mind as we discuss how to best manage and preserve our natural heritage.

It is an honor to represent the people of Montana. Understanding the views of my constituents is very important to me as I continue to serve you. I will never forget who my real boss is.

If I can be of further assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to contact me.
In God We Trust,

Ryan K. Zinke
Member of Congress

Received a response from 1 of my Senators Pat Toomey(R) in PA - Sadly the following is an excerpt from the response that I received.

The Senate approved Senator Murkowski's amendment by a 51-49 bipartisan vote, and the measure was included in the final conference report."

I get a kick out of him calling a "party line" vote a "bipartisan vote".

Sent a email to both....But I have sent these emails before. My Democratic Senator Tammy Baldwin will agree with us %100 while im sure I'll get some bull shit response from my Republican Senator about how the federal government needs to turn the land over. I'm getting tired of this broken record. At some point im going to stop sending emails to anyone with a "R" in front of their name because I know what they will say and think.

Following is the response sent from Congressman / DOI Nominee Zinke. It sounds clearly enough opposed to PLT ... but only time will tell.

Thank you for contacting me about public lands. I appreciate having your thoughts on this issue, as your input is valuable to me.

As a fifth generation Montanan, I understand how important our public lands are to our local economies, communities, and, more importantly, our very way of life. Our wealth of natural resources creates jobs, supports families, and promotes recreation. It is of utmost importance to me that we preserve the public’s access to these lands.

In a joint address to the Montana State Legislature two years ago, I made it clear that I will not tolerate selling or transferring our public lands. That position has not changed, nor will it change. However, we need to find a way to cut through the bureaucracy to ensure our parks, forests, and other public areas are properly managed.

I have noted your concerns about a recent procedural vote taken by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 3, 2017. The language in the rule does not transfer or sell any public lands, but simply establishes budgetary rules that will determine how bills will be written and scored in the 115th Congress. What will allow land transfers and sales to proceed will be future bills written by Members of Congress. I have stood against these efforts before and will continue to adamantly oppose any proposals to sell or transfer public lands.

I have consistently supported keeping our public lands public. With each vote, I have taken on leadership for the sake of Montana’s values. As a member of the House Natural Resources Committee, please know that I will keep your thoughts firmly in mind as we discuss how to best manage and preserve our natural heritage.

It is an honor to represent the people of Montana. Understanding the views of my constituents is very important to me as I continue to serve you. I will never forget who my real boss is.

If I can be of further assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to contact me.
In God We Trust,

Ryan K. Zinke
Member of Congress

Same one I got.

I sharpened the knife then gave it to the guy who stabbed you in the back but I wasn't actually the one who stabbed you and I never will. Thanks but I'm still stabbed.

Just out of curiosity, when does transfer to the states become an unfunded mandate? After all, most states don't have the money to manage the lands. I guess that is just more evidence that the goal is to force the sale of those lands to the legislators buddies.

I am asking that you email your Senator with something to the affect below;

Senator link here - http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Steve Daines response to an email I sent him.

"Dear Mr. Pearson,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to transferring federal public lands to state ownership, particularly in light of a recent U.S. House of Representatives budgetary rule change related to federal lands. As a fifth generation Montanan and an avid outdoorsman, I know access to Montana's public lands is important to our way of life and our state's heritage. I spent much of my youth backpacking in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness and want to preserve Montana's unparalleled natural beauty so my children and grandchildren can do the same.

Let me first stress that I do not believe the transfer of federal public lands to state ownership is a feasible option. Further, I will not support any proposals that would reduce Montanans' access to our public lands, nor will I support efforts that result in the sale of public lands that Montanans so greatly value.

I do believe we need to do a much better job managing our federal lands, however. The worsening health of Montana's forests has resulted in increased risk of catastrophic wildfires. The economies in our forested counties are suffering and have some of the highest unemployment rates in Montana due to the dramatic decrease in timber harvest on federal lands. I therefore support giving state and local communities a greater role in managing public lands. As a member of the House of Representatives during the 113th Congress, I supported a bipartisan provision in the Farm Bill that allowed Governor Bullock to prioritize management of five million acres in Montana to improve the health of Montana forests suffering from beetle kill. I also supported a provision in the House-passed Restoring Healthy Forests for Healthy Communities Act to authorize states to manage certain areas of federal forestland. Now as a member of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, which has jurisdiction over federal land management, please know that I will keep your views in mind as I work both to ensure that Montana's natural heritage is preserved and to protect livelihoods that rely on access to our lands.

Again, thanks for contacting me. It is my number one priority in the Senate to represent the values and interests of the people of Montana, and your input is very helpful as I do. I invite you to visit my website, www.daines.senate.gov, for updates about activities in Washington that affect our lives in Montana or to contact me. I look forward to hearing from you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Signature

Steve Daines

United States Senator"

Write him another letter and tell him if he wants better Federal management to start funding Federal management.

States need to concentrate on managing State lands, not Federal lands. They have enough to worry about just doing that.

Back