NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Puppy not holding on point

Mule man

She does point but then will rush birds,We are talking wild chucker which is hard on any dog. What can I do to get her to hold a bit longer?

I’d be interested to hear the answer as I’m having similar issues with my boy. He’s
1yr old
Whoa trained yes
I have not used a collar for any training
Chukar and Huns occasionally quail mixed in
Always solo dog

never shoot a bird they dont point, let em drag a 30ft check cord, stand on it ,,,,,,,dont keep yelling whoa after they break and run,,,,,

find some traing birds with a release cage,
then flush bird while incontrol of the cord

when hunting its hard not to shoot birds even wild flushed, hard to hunt and train at same time,,,

when i have pups that point for couple seconds them rush forward, o start yelling hey, hey something loud obnoxious i guess,,,,

i trt to put pups in the best places like crosswind so when there nose snaps around i can get to the cord, shock collars are after they know there doing wro g, my opionon, thr shot and dead bird is the reward for standing a point,, at least for me

She does point but then will rush birds,We are talking wild chucker which is hard on any dog. What can I do to get her to hold a bit longer?
Just keep at it, the light will go on. I can’t tell you how many birds I’ve watched flush because a puppy pushed them. If they are honest and flash a point, but maybe pressure a little much, shoot it for them.

I’m a huge believer in letting a dog figure out how to handle wild birds on their own.

So he is whoa trained he just gets jumpy at the movement and I remind him. I don’t have access to training birds or at least haven’t found any in the elko area yet. The best I’ve been able to do for that is there is an area by the elementary school that has a large covey of quail that I work him in at least three times a week they are there when we do our walk. I think most of it comes in when there is more than one bird so he’s holding the one and sees the movement out of another makes him unlock from the original.

Then whoa him. Walk in and flush a bird. Do it again. Don’t let him move

Relocating on running birds is fine, breaking point on birds he can see is not.

I guess I should ask a clarifying question though. Has your dog hunted and been exposed to handling wild birds? If not, shut up and let him learn to handle them. Only whoa him if he’s getting reckless and out of control.

Yes this is his first season he’s only ever dealt with wild birds even the quail we work on they live in the same spot so I can go there and know there are birds but they’re wild. He’s hunted 4 times so far and we’ve gotten two birds together.

If he’s only hunted four times, I’d try to get him out once or twice a week between now and the end of the season. Just let him go and don’t handle him unless he’s really being an idiot.

I have been lucky. Both dogs are naturals. For my Lab Ellie pointing was an unexpected bonus. The Fr Britt is very good about holding a point unless Ellie is coming. But Ellie won't be coming unless I'm in range. When I hunt both dogs, Ellie usually stays beside me. I suppose I could have broke Ellie to honor Puppy's points with an e-collar, but running two dogs at once is not very productive. One is always pushing the other and then they get out of range or bust points. These public land birds are too jumpy for anything but close work. Also, it's tough for one guy to watch two dogs at the same time. In heavy cover I'll pull in Puppy and let the Lab work. Ellie stays very close and I can't see Puppy in tall grass or cattails. It's also easier to hear where the larger dog is working.

I think I'll agree with JLS (for once!). If you can find the time it's better to let the dog learn how to handle wild birds on his own. Puppy has figured out if a bird she's on gets up too far out, she'll get called in and the other dog works. That hurts! When released again she's more careful to keep checking in and stay closer. Not a check cord but kinda the same idea.

You said puppy. How old? Whoa trained? Collar conditioned? Chukkars are tough. Is this solo or with other dogs involved?
I shouldn't have called her a puppy as this is her second season. Not whoa trained but response great to tone on collar. Points well but birds are running of course and she gets a bit pushy then they break and she breaks . I have watched her as I'm to far away to shoot and can't get down through the bluffs fast enough. I have called out easy easy easy but all on deaf ears. Should I tone when she is to pushy?

If he’s only hunted four times, I’d try to get him out once or twice a week between now and the end of the season. Just let him go and don’t handle him unless he’s really being an idiot.

This is my lab's 4th season & she is finally getting to be a decent bird dog. Listen to JLS.

I shouldn't have called her a puppy as this is her second season. Not whoa trained but response great to tone on collar. Points well but birds are running of course and she gets a bit pushy then they break and she breaks . I have watched her as I'm to far away to shoot and can't get down through the bluffs fast enough. I have called out easy easy easy but all on deaf ears. Should I tone when she is to pushy?
So is your dog flushing the birds? I’m not completely clear on exactly what you’re asking. I think there are multiple issues to address here.

When you say responds to a tone collar what exactly does that mean?

Breaking on visual birds is tough on a pup, even if getting there on a 'woah' command. Check cord, woah barrel, pigeons etc as mentioned will help. Have you been able to shoot birds from scent points? If you're in that habit and are disciplined enough to not shoot at bird that the pup isn't steady on it'll click. Also, exposure to wild birds as much as possible can't be overstated. It'll click, some dogs it comes much faster to than others.

Full disclosure I don't know much about dog training but was fortunate to live on a ranch full of huns and sharpies for my dog's formative years and wild bird exposure every day made the manners.

Don't shoot birds that aren't pointed. Thus, no retrieve. Don't reward bad behavior.

Get a bird launcher and some pigeons to train with. Dog should point on the launcher. If dog moves before being told to, launch the bird and don't shoot it. Dog hold points to your satisfaction, launch the bird and shoot it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back