Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Public Service Announcement - Sunblock & Wide Hats

Aside from being a poster-child for getting braces for your kids before they grow up, it looks like I can continue my gig of encouraging sunblock and wide brimmed hats. Last June they worked on my lower lip for squamous cell cancer, everywhere except the left corner. Not sure if they missed some or if it had not developed in the left corner yet, but it's back and had spread back to mid lip almost. Put on that sunblock and get a wider/bigger hat!View attachment 186074
This is a really important PSA I’ve lost some people I care about and seen the toll it can take on several others.

Adding on get yourselves some high spf lip balm, I put mine in my bino harness.

There are a couple of companies making some awesome sun shirts, I really like my Simms shirt and I bought a Free fly shirt last week and really like it.

Sunscreen is cool and all, but the clothes probably help more. Melanoma, middle of my back. I was pretty flippant till the dr said something along the lines of “you probably have an 80% chance of surviving this”. Yes, sunscreen is part of my daily routine, and so are long sleeves and floppy brimmed hats.

My PSA is to all of you whose work and recreation keep you out in the sun. Wear your sunblock and a wide-brimmed hat or pay the piper when you're older. I grew up living and working on the farm and my hobbies are all outdoors. I grew up in a baseball cap, but those don't cover your ears or even shade the face that well. My dad always tried to get me to wear wide-brimmed hats but I preferred my ball caps, not those 'other' hats.
I've spent a couple of days this past week having squamous cell cancer removed from my lower lip. They pretty much split me from port to starboard, just enough un-cut in the left corner that I can use a straw for drinking. Things are looking fine as far as the squamous goes, but it is rather sore. I did notice that at least for now my sons are doing better with sunblock and wide hats after watching me crying about how my lip hurts. I was homely enough before, but I'll leave you with a pic for some visual motivation. ;) Now, go shower in sunblock and get a big ugly hat!
Hope you get better Sir!

No kidding! Here's to a full recovery.

And this slowly festered unknowingly? Or did your lips have any unique sensations as you crept towards that ×× year of age?

I was a puppet lifeguard for the "chicks"... enough baby oil, a drowning person would slip right from my grip! Hah! Thus far I've escaped critical failure... aside from thinking I could do anything on an ATV...
I had my first melanoma surgery in 1986, followed by two more in the late 80's and early 90's. Since the the first surgery I've never been more than a year between full-body exams. After last year's squamous deal I'm back on 6 month exams. The last exam was January or February and they didn't find anything, nor did I expect anything. Then in April I thought something was going on again in the part of the lip they didn't work on; a biopsy and the frustratingly slow process of appointments, etc. and here I am now. For me, the lip squamous cell issues have been the only ones that are painful. The first melanoma and the lip squamous cell issues, I went to the Dr. on because I knew something was going on, the other melanoma, squamous and basal cell issues have all been found in my checkup exams. Anyone who spent lots of time in the sun should get a dermatologist look over once in awhile.

Never paid ten cents worth of attention to sun block and wide brim hats.
Met a gent 5 years my elder that went to the Nat'l Finals Rodeo 9 times when it was in OKC instead of Las Vegas.
He NEVER wore a western style hat unless he was in a PRCA arena or event. He wore "gimme" caps.
Suddenly, they were removing melanoma's from the edges of his ears. He looks like the rat's have been chewing on his ears!
These days, you won't find him with less than a sombrero on his head.
...and I followed suit! Sunscreen if you wish.
MORE important! Wide brim hat!!!

I’m worried about this my self I have really fair skin and have Gotten sun burnt a lot looks painful praying for a speedy recovery
If you care to take advice from an Internet forum. Go see a dermatologist if you haven’t already.
I’ve had melanoma cut out of my chest and squamous cell cut off my head. I’m a big fan of long sleeve Huk fishing shirts and brimmed hats now…

EDA85099-CC82-4855-8227-9C0CF7243F55.jpeg

Good heads up. I went to a wide brim this year and It's the first year I haven't had sun burned ears. Should have went to it years age being out on the water or in the field all summer.I got some lip stitches after freeing a doe that tried jumping a hog panel fence. Not fun. Hope you heal quick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back