Public Service Announcement - Sunblock & Wide Hats

fishing4sanity

My PSA is to all of you whose work and recreation keep you out in the sun. Wear your sunblock and a wide-brimmed hat or pay the piper when you're older. I grew up living and working on the farm and my hobbies are all outdoors. I grew up in a baseball cap, but those don't cover your ears or even shade the face that well. My dad always tried to get me to wear wide-brimmed hats but I preferred my ball caps, not those 'other' hats.
I've spent a couple of days this past week having squamous cell cancer removed from my lower lip. They pretty much split me from port to starboard, just enough un-cut in the left corner that I can use a straw for drinking. Things are looking fine as far as the squamous goes, but it is rather sore. I did notice that at least for now my sons are doing better with sunblock and wide hats after watching me crying about how my lip hurts. I was homely enough before, but I'll leave you with a pic for some visual motivation. ;) Now, go shower in sunblock and get a big ugly hat!
IMG-4335.jpg

My PSA is to all of you whose work and recreation keep you out in the sun. Wear your sunblock and a wide-brimmed hat or pay the piper when you're older. I grew up living and working on the farm and my hobbies are all outdoors. I grew up in a baseball cap, but those don't cover your ears or even shade the face that well. My dad always tried to get me to wear wide-brimmed hats but I preferred my ball caps, not those 'other' hats.
I've spent a couple of days this past week having squamous cell cancer removed from my lower lip. They pretty much split me from port to starboard, just enough un-cut in the left corner that I can use a straw for drinking. Things are looking fine as far as the squamous goes, but it is rather sore. I did notice that at least for now my sons are doing better with sunblock and wide hats after watching me crying about how my lip hurts. I was homely enough before, but I'll leave you with a pic for some visual motivation. ;) Now, go shower in sunblock and get a big ugly hat!
View attachment 144226
I wish you the best going forward.

To add to your protective advice. Sun block and protective clothes decrease our exposure to Vitamin D. Please consider taking a Vitamin D 3 supplement. Vitamin D deficiency is becoming much more common and causing severe health concequences.

Nice
e.png

Good advice F4S, I need to get more serious about using sunscreen. Didn’t think much about the wide brim hat before but it makes sense even in this cold climate.

Well damn! Could say you knocked out Ivan Drago under a crisp American flag...
American National Anthem proudly bellowed from busted lips...

I'd go with that! 😄

Either that or sell the picture to the State's, "Don't do meth" advertising firm...

PSA received. Ouch! Best with your recovery.

Having a split lip and stitches is no fun. After catching a curve ball in the mouth in high school I had the underside of my upper lip stitched up. Hopefully your sons won't figure out how much pain they can cause you by making you laugh or smile. Nothing will pressure test those stitches more than a big grin.

Nice work by your surgeon! A little bit surprised that they didn't have you shave the area closest to the vermillion border (colored part of your lip).

I imagine they told you, but watch out for minor salivary glands acting up.....kinda like a blood blister but it is a saliva blister. Sometimes those need to be removed if they form a bump of scar tissue that constantly gets traumatized.

Thanks for the cautionary tale. I trust you'll heal well, to see no recurrence.

I’ve had several squamous cell cancers taken out of my temple, cheek and forearm. All on the left side which he told me is most common because of driving. A closed window blocks UV A rays bit not UVB and apparently that’s what got me. All those days hunting and especially fishing in the ocean with the sun reflecting off the water marked my fate too. Use good sunscreen that’s broadband reducing both A and B rays and yes wear a big hat. I even have to wear long sleeves now. I wish you a speedy recovery. That looks painful.

You lips is now ribbed for her pleasure...always an upside ;)

Sometimes I think I am getting away from the sick twisted military humor and that I find it’s not funny anymore...

then I read stuff like this and I’m sucked right back into it.

I’m worried about this my self I have really fair skin and have Gotten sun burnt a lot looks painful praying for a speedy recovery

Help it all heals up well for ya! I have had some of it dug out my face as well. I now wear sunblock daily, I kinda feel like a chic putting lotion on my face everyday. But its better than the alternative.

Aside from being a poster-child for getting braces for your kids before they grow up, it looks like I can continue my gig of encouraging sunblock and wide brimmed hats. Last June they worked on my lower lip for squamous cell cancer, everywhere except the left corner. Not sure if they missed some or if it had not developed in the left corner yet, but it's back and had spread back to mid lip almost. Put on that sunblock and get a wider/bigger hat!IMG-7958.jpg

No kidding! Here's to a full recovery.

And this slowly festered unknowingly? Or did your lips have any unique sensations as you crept towards that ×× year of age?

I was a puppet lifeguard for the "chicks"... enough baby oil, a drowning person would slip right from my grip! Hah! Thus far I've escaped critical failure... aside from thinking I could do anything on an ATV...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back