Public Lands Maps for GPS

Bambistew

I have an older Garmin Etrex. Can I use the newer land ownership maps with my unit, and if so who has the goods? I thought there was a link on here to a place where I could purchase a SD card with the info on it, but I can't find it.

Thanks

I don't recall right off. I'll ahve to look when I get home.

I think I found what I was looking for. Private/public isn't really an issue up here because there is so much public. I'm headed down south to hunt some new country, and want to have it on my GPS instead of relying completly on a map.

I have a older garmin cx and it will take any of the gps maps.com state maps so far that ive tried,,,I dont know if the older e-trex have the sd card slot?

One of mine has the SD, the other doesn't, but if I get the download version, I can upload to each one if I want. I think one is the eTrex the other is the Venture or something. Had both of them about 6-7 years.

I think they allow you to download up to two gps's if you go the download route. I'm not sure how that all works though.

The upload price of $109.99 is for one unit only. The second unit will cost you $65, they claim this is better than the old price of $129 for two downloads. Love the maps, don't like their monopoly on the digital map market.

The upload price of $109.99 is for one unit only. The second unit will cost you $65, they claim this is better than the old price of $129 for two downloads. Love the maps, don't like their monopoly on the digital map market.

Agree. I found this out the other day when purchasing a new state. Somehow $170 is cheaper than $130. Interesting math.

They are also trying to encourage people to buy the chips instead of the download by charging more for it. That's exactly what they say on their website. Apparently they are getting too many customer service calls from people who can't figure out what they're doing with the download version. I much prefer the download. I can have maps for multiple states on my GPS, and I don't have to worry about losing or damaging the cards. I'm sure that soon you won't be able to buy the download version.

The path they are on follows that of Garmin, who continues to dumb their products down to the lowest common denominator, making their GPS units mostly worthless for people who actually know what they are doing.

Rant over.

Yes the new sales pitch/crapo is VERY annoying.

I just bought the huntdatagps card for Colorado and I don't think it will work in my Etex Legend C. Does anyone know if it accepts data cards or do I need a new GPS? Thanks

www.gpsfiledepot.com is what I used on my Wyoming Antelope hunt. Worked perfectly and best of all it was free.

I found exactly what I was looking for, took 20 minutes to download, but for free... I'll take it. It has all public lands in MT along with topo, not quite as easy to read as the standard Garmin US Topo program I have, but looks exaclty the same on the GPS.

Back