Public Land Story

406LIFE

I was listening to the latest podcast today with Tony Bynum about your public land story.
And while I probably have better ones, the one most immediate was this morning. Last night we spotted some elk (2-400) making their way between private ranches. We located a sliver of BLM in between them that was not friendly, but it worked (very steep hills to climb, 2 of them). After cresting the first hill, I was able to hear the bugles and mews, and as I carefully peered over the the second I could glimpse a dozen still on the BLM land. My stalk from 300 yards to 110 was eventually busted by some moo cows. No kill, but still a successful hunt. Maybe this next week I'll connect. Take away that public land and I wouldn't have been on anything.

Google "Hunttalk.com"
You'll read this:
"Hunters who prefer to hunt without guides, on public lands."
Might not be a story, but...........

So many people just take it for granted, I know I did until the threat of transfer and sale started becoming real. I, growing up didn't think of public lands Asa privledge but as a right and opportunity everyone had everywhere across our nation. The older I get the more valuable I realize they are. My public land story for the weekend was camping for 3 days on Forest Service land and bow hunting deer and elk on both BLM and Forest Service land. Never had anyone bother me, never asked anyone for permission to camp where I did, drive down a road, or hunt where I did. It was a good weekend, and there were tons of other people out enjoying their Labor Day weekend doing many of the same things as well as different activities. We all share these lands, and I just hope the majority of people I pass on public lands aren't doing what I did for so long and just taking them for granted. I don't go a week without using public lands, I don't know what I'd do without them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back